Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center
Ranked #88 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I attended the Good Guys Car Show last weekend - the hotel is 1 1/2 mile away from the Expo Center which makes it so convenient for us to get in and out of the car show. The hotel was clean, had great breakfast and the most wonderful staff. I have to mention the very friendly Emily - she is so gracious, willing to help and will do everything to make your stay a pleasant one. The area is not the best but we feel safe in the hotel and with their security. The hotel also put a cook out for the car show participants and guests. We had plenty of burgers, hot dogs with all the sides and trimmings. I better not forget the cookies and cake. We are planning to stay there again next year.
Thank you Holiday Inn Express !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Priscilla L.,
I am beyond thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! I am excited to share your kind words with my entire team, especially Emily! I am also happy to see that you enjoyed our annual Good Guys BBQ. We really appreciate you coming out and grilling with us! Thank you again for your generous review and we look forward to hosting you and your husband at next year's show and BBQ.
Trusha, Manager

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is pretty much the standard that all hotels should strive to meet. The room was clean, the staff was friendly, it had a nice pool, there was a good full hot breakfast, and it was easy on-off access to the interstate. This hotel was perfect for us as we were just traveling through on a long road trip and needed a comfortable place to sleep for the night. The night before we had stayed at an absolutely awful hotel and so we were just praying this hotel would be good. We've never been let down by a Holiday Inn and this hotel met our expectations of what a hotel should be once again. However, I will say that the location is a bit iffy. While it is an easy to get to hotel from the highway, the next day we noticed some shady looking people walking around. I'm not so sure about the area though. Don't avoid this great hotel just because of the location, but I would be sure to take valuables inside and make sure you lock the car.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank afordham91

afordham91,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. I am so happy that you found your stay clean, clean comfortable and friendly! I am sorry to see that you had a poor experience at a previous hotel but I am glad that we were able to make up for that experience with ours. We hope to see you again the next time your adventures bring you to Columbus!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We checked in on July 4th around 5 pm. The back door to the parking lot which has a sign that it is "locked 24hr, need room key to enter" was NOT LOCKED. I mentioned it to the lady at the front desk. She indicated it would be fixed. Came back from the Clippers game around 11pm and the door was still NOT LOCKED. To be honest the hotel is fine but it is in a bad area of town. Did not feel safe that anyone could enter the hotel at any time during the night!!! When we checked out the next day around 10-11am, it still wasn't locking. Safety is a big issue for our family and they feel way short.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PSU-JOHN-S
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for bringing the issue of the first floor door remaining unlocked during your stay to our attention. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay and I am happily able to report that the issue has been resolved.

Prior to your arrival a guest caused out fire panel alert system to activate. For security reasons, when this happens all of the property doors remain unlocked. After the panel has been turned off the Manager of Duty reactivates the lock. When the manager on duty went around to reactivate the south entrance lock we realized that it had short circuited and in order for repair we had to wait for a technician to come and replace the unit. Due to the long holiday weekend the soonest a repairman could arrive was Monday, July 7.

After being notified that the door would not be repaired until Monday the manager called in our security guard to make continuous rounds around the property to ensure our guests safety. We chose to not place a sign on the door as to not attract attention to the normally functioning unit.

Again I truly am sorry for the stress this issue caused you during your stay and we welcome the opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. Thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention as it has allowed us to better anticipate our guest's needs in the future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you're doing anything near OSU this is a good location. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I have a couple breakfast places I like in C'Bus so I didn't sample the hotel breakfast. The place is right off I71 which is convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Princerman
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Princerman,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. I am so happy to see that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, right off the highway and just minutes from the Ohio Sate University! I am also thrilled to see that you found your room to be clean and comfortable which is a testament to our fantastic housekeeping team. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Dispute this being in an area that you shouldn't walk around outside after dark even in a well lite parking lot. The hotel was fairly clean and the staff were excellent and very helpful. Breakfast was ok filled the spot. I was a bit put off when they recharged my credit card the day before my arrival for one night. They also immediately charged my credit card for the remainder of my stay plus an additional charge for advanced incidentals. Which there really is no place to have incidentals since they don't have a restaurant or anything. I felt this was out of line. I've stayed at many hotels and have never had this happen. Apparently this is policy but I've never had that policy with the Hilton or Marriott.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Terrilyn M
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Terrilyn M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us! It is great see that your room was clean and you enjoyed your stay, which is a testament to our outstanding housekeeping and guest service team! I do apologize for the inconvenience our pre-arrival authorizations caused you during your stay, due to our 24 hour cancellation policy we pre-authorize funds in order to guarantee your room for arrival. I would also like to apologize for the authorization of the duration of your stay upon arrival. One of the benefits of staying with the Holiday Inn Express Brand is our Express check-out feature, which allows our guests to check out more efficiently by not having to stop at the desk when departing. Due to this feature we preauthorize the entire stay at the time of check-in so if you choose to leave without stopping at the desk your balance would be taken care of. Finally, I would like to apologize for the $10 incidental authorization placed on your card upon arrival. We, like all hotels in Columbus, preauthorize funds for incidentals. Many hotels fail to communicate this authorization with guests and even more preauthorize much more then $10. I understand that it is inconvenient to have a $10 hold on your credit card during your stay which is why we communicate this hold prior to the authorization. I hope this cleared up a few of your concerns! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us, we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The hotel is quiet (despite being near a freeway), and has excellent staff services. When was the last time you got a call after you got into your room to check and see if you're satisfied? This place does just that. And, you can see that the people working there want to make you stay great. The room was clean, and the night quiet. The usual breakfast amenities are available as all the other Express places. The place is about 2 miles away from the OSU campus - and the access is super.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gizbab
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Gizbab,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us! Here at the Holiday Inn Express - Ohio State Fairgrounds our guest's satisfaction is our highest priority! I am so happy to see that your room was clean and inviting and our team made you feel welcome! I'm also glad to see that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, just minutes away from The Ohio State University... Go Buckeyes! We truly appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for Rock on the Range at Columbus Crew Stadium. The location was great and even though the neighborhood looks a bit... rough... everything was ok. The staff was great (and even put up with my knucklehead roommates cookie shenanigans all weekend). The breakfast was hot and included cooked eggs, breakfast meat, yogurt, fruit, breads/bagels, toppings, pancake machine and more. The double bed room was spacious and every aspect of the hotel was clean. I will try to book a room here anytime I am in the area for a similar event.

Room Tip: One elevator and it is slow
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
holidayinnexpress00, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ex I-71/ Oh. State Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Greg M,
On behalf of my entire team and I, it was a pleasure to host you and your guests during the very busy Rock on the Range weekend! I am so happy that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, being just walking distance from the Columbus Crew Stadium definitely has it's advantages especially during Rock on the Range's fantastic 3 day concert series! I am also thrilled to see that you were pleased by recently updated Express Start Breakfast options, we have been getting great feedback and it's guest's feedback like yours that help make these kind of changes happen! Please call us directly when you are ready to book for next years Rock on the Range at 614-263-7725, we can't wait to have you back!