“Nothing spectacular” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nothing spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

While the location is good---good walking distance to Short North and Arena District, the hotel itself is average. While the room was clean and beds were fairly comfortable, the toiletries were nothing to write home about. The shampoo, conditioner, and "soap" were all located in dispensable containers attached to the shower wall. The quality of these products was extremely poor and I had to go out and buy all my own soap, shampoo, etc b/c what was offered was disgusting and poor quality. The scent of the soap and shampoo was gross and the consistency was very watered-down---pretty sure it would not have gotten me too clean! They also did not offer any lotion, which I value when travelling. To me, toiletries can really make or break a hotel---I value quality products and expect my hotels (especially downtown hotels) to offer quality products. I do not like packing bottles and bottles of my own products when quality options should be available. There was a bar of hand soap at the sink, which was ok in quality (better than what was dispensed in the shower) however it was very small and did not last long. I went down to the front desk on my second night to ask for another bar of soap, and after the woman at the front desk searched for one, she said someone would bring one to my room. A phone call to the front desk and a 40 minute wait and I finally got another bar of soap. That was annoying.

Also of note, the hairdryer in my room did not work and I had to go down to the front desk to get another one. I also needed a first aid item that they did not have at the front desk, but instead of telling me what local stores may be open, they told me to wait until the morning and walk to the convention center.

The "complimentary" snacks and breakfast did not look appetizing and there were no healthy options, just fried food. Fresh fruits or vegetables or some granola bars would have been nice.

On the positive side, the workout room, although standard, was pretty good---5 cardio machines and free weights. They could use some cleaner in there though to spray off the machines. The pool looked acceptable, although I did not use it. The staff was friendly, but no customer service that blew me out of the water.

In short, there are several other downtown hotels that I would book before this one. I doubt I will stay with them again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Anne L,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate hearing from our guests as we will use your comments to help us improve our product and services. While it appears we were an adequate hotel, we didn't do a very good job of impressing you. That is simply not acceptable for us. Thank you for your comments about our liquid amenities and food areas. Your suggestions will be passed on to our home office for review. In the future, please don't hesitate to ask for something if you don't see it. I know that our front desk didn't do a very good job of responding to your needs this time, but rest assured, we will get better as a result of your comments.

With regards to the food choices that are available, Drury is hearing that our guests would like healthier options. While we currently have oatmeal, bananas & apples, yogurt cups, granola cereal for breakfast; and baked potatoes, salad and a rotation of soups that are healthy, we are working on adding even more choices.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Scott Bosak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cross Lanes, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Fair for the price, and parking fair price, the room was nothing fancy, the breakfast was all right. It was a good area to walk around in town. Close to a lot of different places to see, and eat. Would I use again probably so.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Norman,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us this past summer. I appreciate all of the feedback I can get as it helps me to ensure we are delivering on our promises. Our goal is to not merely satisfy your expectations, but to exceed them. I apologize that we did not do that. In the future, please don't hesitate to let the front desk or a member of management know if there are things that we can do better for you. We always welcome comments and suggestions, as those are what make us better. Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. I look forward to hosting you the next time you are in town.

Scott Bosak,
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed for two days in September this year. It was a wonderful experience. Be it the rooms that are huge with two double beds - I was alone though, or the view from the room or the happy hours in the evening between 5.30 to 7.30 where you don't pay for even one drink and get three :)))

Great place and great value for money.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are equally good.
1 Thank Sandiii999
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

The large lobby gives a great first impression. Happy and helpful staff both days. Secure parking garage. Large suites. Clean everywhere. Nice pool and hot tub. Great view of downtown from our room. Rooms are quiet and very modern. Happy hr and breakfast both free and outstanding. We will look to stay at a drury anytime we travel for sure.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Proud_Marines_Momma
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

My wife and I were in Columbus for business and family matters, and decided to stay at the Drury, based on my experiences at the Drury in Flagstaff. The room was spacious, clean and well-located. It was within walking distance to downtown and the Convention center. The breakfast was very good, the bed good, and the room was quiet. Even the martini in a plastic cup was good! The only thing to watch out for is the hidden charge of $12.00 per night parking fee if you have a car. Otherwise, an excellent stay and great experience.

Room Tip: try the seventh floor- away from the elevator bank. Very quiet.
1 Thank GAfromLA
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel has a happy hour with free drinks and buffet and a free breakfast. But the quality of food is low, it's very salty and has no healthy options. The room I stayed in had a door that connected it to the room next door and we could hear everything the people next door were saying, we could even hear them brushing their teeth! They should charge less for connecting rooms because I have stayed here before and didn't have that problem. Other small details are there was no lotion which I pretty much depend on nicer (over $150 per night) hotels to provide, and the hair dryer was small and low power. They also should have recycling containers in the rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure that you don't stay in a room that connects to next door room unless you want that.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I definitely appreciate all of the feedback I can get. Whether it is positive or negative, we can't make changes without knowing what's wrong.

I apologize for the concerns you had during your recent stay. Our goal is to make sure that every guest is completely satisfied. In the future, should you be in a room that is not acceptable, please don't hesitate to contact the front desk. We will do everything we can to fix the situation or move you to a different room.

Our food selections are constantly evolving. Please submit any requests/ideas you may have. Typically our menu changes are designed to conform to what our guests are looking for. While we currently have baked potatoes, Salad, Celery and Carrots, as well as many soups on the healthy side, we do have menu changes coming in the near future to enhance them. Finally, we always have lotion available at the front desk. Just let us know and we will be happy to bring some to your room.

Thank you for your business and please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you.

Scott Bosak
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

As in most of my reviews I adore this place. The 3 free drinks a day with the snack bar is just an added touch. I was there for the Mine Rescue Team National Championships. (September the 8th thru Sept. 13) My Husband is on the Cumberland Mine team JC. The Drury's rooms are clean, nicely furnished and the beds are wonderful! I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Columbus.

3 Thank Tempty1965