“home away from home”

Ranked #3 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Portsmouth, Ohio
“home away from home”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Drury for several years. We love the security factor and how the staff threats us like family. We stay about three times a month, never been disappointed. Great price and fun area:)

Room Tip: We stay in the suites, and we love them!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We used the Drury for our guests for our wedding and were very happy with the experience. With the renovations done this summer, the rooms were much nicer. The suite rooms were perfect for the bridal party to get ready, with the kitchenette being the perfect size to hold snacks and beverages. Like all Drury's, the kickback is a great bonus.. enough food to make a meal and 3 free drinks per person. The breakfast was good as well. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and Scott the manager was great to work with. Overall, I couldn't ask for more for a hotel choice for our out of town guests, especially with their location and rates.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Craig M
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a convention because the Internet was included, along with breakfast. Previous to this I had never heard of the chain. The staff was very friendly. The room very clean and up to date. We liked being able to pick up pop and popcorn before going upstairs at night. We went to the evening dinner bar a couple of times. It was fine. Did not use the free drink tickets. There was a strong smell in the lobby. Not sure if it was chlorine from the nearby pool or not but it was noticeable and ever present while having breakfast each morning. It was nice to know my car was secure in the parking garage. We would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank punchbuggy1
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 7 November 2013

While the location is good---good walking distance to Short North and Arena District, the hotel itself is average. While the room was clean and beds were fairly comfortable, the toiletries were nothing to write home about. The shampoo, conditioner, and "soap" were all located in dispensable containers attached to the shower wall. The quality of these products was extremely poor and I had to go out and buy all my own soap, shampoo, etc b/c what was offered was disgusting and poor quality. The scent of the soap and shampoo was gross and the consistency was very watered-down---pretty sure it would not have gotten me too clean! They also did not offer any lotion, which I value when travelling. To me, toiletries can really make or break a hotel---I value quality products and expect my hotels (especially downtown hotels) to offer quality products. I do not like packing bottles and bottles of my own products when quality options should be available. There was a bar of hand soap at the sink, which was ok in quality (better than what was dispensed in the shower) however it was very small and did not last long. I went down to the front desk on my second night to ask for another bar of soap, and after the woman at the front desk searched for one, she said someone would bring one to my room. A phone call to the front desk and a 40 minute wait and I finally got another bar of soap. That was annoying.

Also of note, the hairdryer in my room did not work and I had to go down to the front desk to get another one. I also needed a first aid item that they did not have at the front desk, but instead of telling me what local stores may be open, they told me to wait until the morning and walk to the convention center.

The "complimentary" snacks and breakfast did not look appetizing and there were no healthy options, just fried food. Fresh fruits or vegetables or some granola bars would have been nice.

On the positive side, the workout room, although standard, was pretty good---5 cardio machines and free weights. They could use some cleaner in there though to spray off the machines. The pool looked acceptable, although I did not use it. The staff was friendly, but no customer service that blew me out of the water.

In short, there are several other downtown hotels that I would book before this one. I doubt I will stay with them again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Anne L,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate hearing from our guests as we will use your comments to help us improve our product and services. While it appears we were an adequate hotel, we didn't do a very good job of impressing you. That is simply not acceptable for us. Thank you for your comments about our liquid amenities and food areas. Your suggestions will be passed on to our home office for review. In the future, please don't hesitate to ask for something if you don't see it. I know that our front desk didn't do a very good job of responding to your needs this time, but rest assured, we will get better as a result of your comments.

With regards to the food choices that are available, Drury is hearing that our guests would like healthier options. While we currently have oatmeal, bananas & apples, yogurt cups, granola cereal for breakfast; and baked potatoes, salad and a rotation of soups that are healthy, we are working on adding even more choices.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Hospitably,
Scott Bosak
Cross Lanes, West Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Fair for the price, and parking fair price, the room was nothing fancy, the breakfast was all right. It was a good area to walk around in town. Close to a lot of different places to see, and eat. Would I use again probably so.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Columbus Convention Center, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Norman,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us this past summer. I appreciate all of the feedback I can get as it helps me to ensure we are delivering on our promises. Our goal is to not merely satisfy your expectations, but to exceed them. I apologize that we did not do that. In the future, please don't hesitate to let the front desk or a member of management know if there are things that we can do better for you. We always welcome comments and suggestions, as those are what make us better. Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. I look forward to hosting you the next time you are in town.

Hospitably,
Scott Bosak,
Mumbai
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed for two days in September this year. It was a wonderful experience. Be it the rooms that are huge with two double beds - I was alone though, or the view from the room or the happy hours in the evening between 5.30 to 7.30 where you don't pay for even one drink and get three :)))

Great place and great value for money.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandiii999
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The large lobby gives a great first impression. Happy and helpful staff both days. Secure parking garage. Large suites. Clean everywhere. Nice pool and hot tub. Great view of downtown from our room. Rooms are quiet and very modern. Happy hr and breakfast both free and outstanding. We will look to stay at a drury anytime we travel for sure.

• Stayed October 2013