“Great experience”

Kelton House Museum & Garden
Ranked #37 of 157 things to do in Columbus
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience urban life and the decorative arts, as they existed in the second half of the 19th century, through the collection of the Sophia and Fernando Cortez Kelton family.
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were in Columbus for New Years and love to tour historic houses. This one didn't disappoint. There was a lot of information and we learned new things. We dragged out 2 kids with (ages 10 and 13) and even they found it interesting. The staff were friendly and I would recommend a visit if you are in town.

3  Thank christine b

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I really enjoyed the tour here. the guide was very informative and interesting. he did a fantastic job and was dressed in Victorian clothing. in December they have it decorated for the time.
The home has a lot of furniture pieces that are original to the Keltons. Much care has been
given to the small details from setting the dining room table to the brushes combs and personal
items placed in each room. it is a great piece of history. Even the gift shop is nice and very
reasonably priced. I purchased a large reproduction porcelain doll for only $30. The tour is $6
for adults and $2 for children. the underground railroad museum in the basement was self guided tour. Think about combining it with the state house tour before xmas.
Mr kelton was a pallbearer for President Lincolns body when placed in the ohio statehouse
for people to come and pay their respects. Also stop by the xmas corner nativity display
on broad steet a large walk thru display lit up at night with free choir recitals at night.
Merry Christmas all.

4  Thank dawn b
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We toured the house to get an idea of life as part of the Underground Railroad. It was interesting and we learned a lot but we would have preferred a tour guide to the handsets we carried. You only get a docent on special occasions and Sundays.

5  Thank Robin G
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is a great place to visit if you are into American history. I like the fact that the tour was self-guided so we could go at our own, leisurely pace. The audio provided a thorough background on the Kelton family and also described the Victorian-era decor and daily life. The staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I also want to thank Chuck for the recommendation to go to Schmidt's Restaurant und Sausage Haus after our tour.

8  Thank USSoccerFan7
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I enjoyed walking around the Kelton House. It was a beautiful house. I learned a lot about the Kelton family and the part they played in the Underground Railroad. I even learned more about slavery in this country. I was amazed.

It started raining during our visit so I can't comment on the beauty of the gardens. But from what I've heard and seen in pictures, what you see can't be put into words.

4  Thank CUTiger81