“I've got very mixed feelings about this hotel”

Hilton Columbus Downtown
Ranked #6 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Melbourne, FL
“I've got very mixed feelings about this hotel”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed here specifically to compare the Hilton to the Hampton Inn up the street (where I usually stay when in town).

Let me start with my most serious complaint. When we arrived the sign said "Self-Parking: $20." The valet said that if we self-parked the parking would be charged to our room. Upon check-in, the hostess said to hang on to the parking slip and that we would pay on the way out of the garage. When we actually DID pay, it was $27, not $20. Somebody doesn't have their act together and Hilton and I will be having a conversation.

Let's talk about the good. The rooms are fantastic. Modern, as you would expect from a nearly brand-new hotel, and clean. The lighting in the rooms are exceptional. Lots of indirect lighting that makes the room comfortable, warm, and inviting.

The decor of the bathroom is spectacular. Although I don't understand why the shower door swings in the direction that requires you to go around it to get to the hanging towels. That seems kind of silly.

I paid extra for a high room because I love looking out over the city. But I was very surprised to find that my room overlooked the inside of the hotel. Probably about 30% of the rooms face inward. Why would anyone pay extra to look down at 2nd floor diners from the 10th, 11th, or 12th floor? Hilton should assume that if you are specifically paying extra for a high floor you want an outside view.

Finally, I was reading the information booklet in the room. The book said that a receipt would be left under my door no later than 5AM. However, a receipt was never left. I checked-out at the desk and was told that they don't do that - instead, an email is sent to my account. I appreciate that, but I would really like a copy of my receipt without having to go to the desk to ask for one. Especially since the Hilton information set my expectations to receive one no later than 5AM.

Would I stay at this hotel again? No. There is a Hampton Inn right up the street that I have had great luck with and is significantly less expensive.

Now, let me work on getting my $7 back...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank davechri
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for your note and your very thoughtful comments. First, I apologize for any confusion. Parking in the attached garage which we do not manage is $24 for valet service and $20 for self-parking when charged to your room; both include unlimited in/out privileges and 5pm checkout. However, if one pays at the garage exit directly, they charge by the hour with up to 24-hours being $18. While this is a little less expensive, it does not include the in/out privileges and late checkout which is how it got to $27 based on the actual time of your arrival and departure. The front desk manager has already contacted you directly to refund your $7 by way of apology. The preference on an inside versus outside room is a personal one and regret we were not aware of your preference. When we printed the in-room directories prior to opening, it was our intent to place folios under the door. Unfortunately, we discovered upon opening that this was not possible due to a threshold mechanism that does not allow for passage (which is also why the rooms are so quiet.) Since then, we have actually found that guests find emailing a receipt to be more practical and seen a significant decrease in requests for reprints due to lost receipts. We are currently in the process of reprinting the directories to correct this message (along with a few other things we have discovered since actually moving into the building, which is always a bit of a learning process.) Hilton Worldwide is happy to have you as a guest be it at the Hampton Inn or the Hilton; though completely different products, both are offer a great guest experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Aurora
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed at this HIlton for a volleyball tournament at the convention center.
The staff was excellent and attentive, and the our room (two queen beds) was very quiet and comfortable. Thankfully it faced the outside of the hotel and not the interior atrium.

Location: excellent - walkway to convention center, near short North "district" and North Market shop.

Room amenities: comfortable beds, very quiet room. We had four in our room, but consistently only had three towels and only two glasses. Very odd. But the staff delivered extra towels quickly. Strangely enough, when our room was cleaned, we were provided again only three sets of towels.

Cleanliness: This is fairly new hotel (built around Fall 2012), so it was was pretty clean and "sparkling."

In-room amenities: Tasteful, modern bedroom. Lots of wood and tile. However because of the decor, I would say that form and appearance was stressed over function - instead of a sitting chair, there was a nice looking long bench seat by the window. I sat there, but there wasn't any place to put my coffee - no table. The bathroom was beautiful - with a long glass shelf. But it was too narrow for our toiletry bag. Little things like this (and not enough towels of glasses) kept me from rating this hotel with 5 stars.

Room Tip: I would avoid the atrium rooms - I believe they will be noisy because of the restaurant, bar, and ge...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I particularly appreciate the note on the towels. Our double rooms are stocked with three sets in general; this is increased when we know of higher occupancy. This is based on the number of people actually registered in the room which is not always accurate, to be honest. Though I do not know if this was the case in this situation. We will add further attention to this in housekeeping as it certainly makes sense for the guest and the hotel. Thanks for sharing!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I travel to Columbus on business a few times a year and usually stay at either the Westin downtown or the Hilton Easton. Have also stayed at the Hyatt once. This time, I was in for a conference that was taking place at the new Hilton Downtown, so I stayed there for two nights while attending the conference.

I’d been really eager to stay here, since it’s such a new hotel. Was curious to see what they’d do with it, given that they were building it from the ground up and not a renovation. My expectations were met and surpassed. THIS is a hotel for the 21st century!

The design throughout is nothing short of gorgeous and really well thought out. Lots of areas to sit, great spaces and nooks and common rooms. It’s all built around an atrium and the sight lines are really inspiring and beautiful. Very clean and modern but at the same time colorful and warm. I have to hand it to the architects and designers on this one. It’s very welcoming.

Speaking of which, check-in was smooth, even with around 25 of us arriving all at once. And the staff was very friendly and helpful, from reception to bellmen to restaurant and catering people. You can tell they’re going all out here.

I was in Room 739, a king-bedded room that faced out, overlooking the convention center. The room was spacious and well-appointed, starting with the very wood-y foyer/entryway. There’s a full-length mirror on one wall of the foyer and opposite that is the closet, with lots of hangers. The rooms have a wonderful juxtaposition of building materials and textures. The bathroom is mostly stone, with stainless accents. Towels are tucked neatly under the sink and there are lots of surfaces to put things. There’s a lighted makeup mirror on the vanity, along with Peter Thomas Roth amenities.

The bed was super-comfortable, with crisp, smooth sheets and plenty of pillows. There’s a huge (maybe a 42” or 46”) flat screen on top of the dresser, which has tons of drawers. Again, the coffee/tea set-up is tucked neatly into shelves in that unit, as opposed to taking up space on top. The far wall, by the window, includes a huge desk/workstation and a couch/seating area. Embedded into the desktop was a small panel that, when you tap it, pops opens a hidden electrical outlet and USB ports. The nightstands each had two electrical outlets, and one of the nightstands also had a clock/radio with an iPhone dock. I always pack a travel power strip because there never seem to be enough outlets or they’re never where you need them. That power strip never came out of my suitcase on this trip. There were plenty of outlets and right where I needed them. Really, they thought of just about everything. All the details added up nicely.

That attention to detail was also evident in their approach to art. My room had a piece on the ceiling that reminded me of Kandinsky but every room had different art, and all of it was by local artists. The hotel’s common areas also showcase paintings, sculpture, etc. by locals. (The hotel is just a few blocks from the Short North, which is home to many artists and galleries.) The rooms also varied as to whether they face out toward the street like mine did, or in toward the atrium, like the room one of my colleagues had. While I thought it created a really interesting visual effect when you’re inside the atrium, she felt like she was in a fishbowl and kept her curtains closed the whole time. So those rooms are probably not for everyone.

All that said, there are a few things that could use improvement:

The light switches, while designed to conserve energy, are very confusing!! There are two next to each other both at the front door and in the bathroom and it’s hard to understand what each of them does and which way to press them. You’d think that light switches would be a no-brainer but several of us who were there for the conference all had a laugh about it because we each had the same experience. It’s hard to know which way to press them and there’s also this one master switch that turns everything off all at once, but apparently that includes the desk outlet. So if you turn it off and are trying to charge your laptop (as I was), you may wake in the morning to find that your battery is not charged.

The presence of ample outlets, ports, etc., demonstrate that they understand the importance of connectivity in 2013, so it was surprising (and disappointing) to see that the room rate doesn't include free internet. Was also surprised that they don’t offer an incentive for refusing daily housekeeping, especially in light of all the rest of their green efforts. And that room service is not 24 hours. (??) Lastly, the phone is on one nightstand and the clock/radio/dock is on another. If you’re traveling on business and are the only person in your room, it makes more sense for them to both be on the same side of the bed.

But those are very small things in the scheme of things.
All in all, I LOVED this hotel and it will definitely be my new go-to whenever I go to Columbus. Well done, Hilton!!

Room Tip: If you're freaked out by people possibly being able to see into your room, ask for a room that D...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for the very thoughtful review and feedback. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Your comments regarding the light switches are appreciated and we have been trying to figure out a way to make it less confusing, which was certainly not the intent. All the lights are dimmable to provide great options from ambient to task lighting, even in the bathroom. There is the master switch that provides one-touch on/off for the entire room so one need not run around the space before leaving or upon return. We do provide complimentary wifi throughout public areas including a connectivity station that provides internet access on either your terminal or ours plus printing but there is a fee for the convenience of in-room access.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed in a one bedroom suite at this hotel. The hotel is about 8 months old, and leans toward "modern" decor. Lots of materials used - even in the elevator; wood, metal, glass, stone, wallpaper, etc. Lots of textures. My room had elaborate up lighting, down lighting, numerous dimmers, and other accent lights. The art piece on the ceiling over the bed was a nice touch. Very neutral in colors - browns and whites. Thermostats in both rooms. Large TV's in both rooms. Plenty of handy outlets in the rooms. My room overlooked the atrium lobby, so there were no outside views. Rooms in the back of the hotel face the parking ramp.

This location is across the street from the convention center and within walking distance to bars and restaurants. Ramp parking a little steep at $20 per night. Very pleasant staff. Located about a mile south of The Ohio State University on High Street.

I did not eat at the hotel restaurant, which had a gourmet style menu which may not appeal to the "meat and potatoes" customer. I attended a function at the hotel and had both a lunch and dinner provided by the hotel, and both were decent.

Overall a good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. Due to the downtown urban location, there is a charge for parking and offer either self-parking or valet options. Hope you give Gallerie Bar & Bistro as try next time; it is really a fabulous restaurant offering a wide variety of options that should appeal to everyone including a Rib Eye and Filet Mignon. Look forward to your return soon.
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

Tried to check in as someone else booked for my family and I. Needed 2 queens, doubles or something other than a King which was booked for us. The girl behind the desk was so rude and non engaging. Did not offer any options other than sorry. I Asked if the Hampton down the street had anything. She called and they said they did have a king with a sleeper sofa. She proceeded to hang up and said "oh did you want me to book it". I said no, it's about a block away, I will run down and book. When I got there, they had no idea of the call and told me they had nothing. I travel about 100 nights a year for business staying between Hampton/ Hilton and Marriott properties. I always make an effort to use these two brands. I called the downtown Marriott Columbus and was able to book with no issue.
I guess next time I should shave and not wear a t shirt and maybe she would make an effort to help us. My 8 year old even said to me as we were walking out that that lady was rude. Even 8 year olds understand service!! I'm glad they are busy enough that they are booked. Looks like a great hotel, but if you have crappy customer resolution, it doesn't matter how good the physical property looks.
I guess I was looking for her to help switch us to a different room. Will probably get some sort of written response from the hotel making some lame excuse for poor customer service. Not what we expected from a Hilton Hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of the team, I apologize for anything less than the stellar service I have come to expect from the team. Unfortunately, on a sold out night, we did not have the option to change your room type from the one booked and regret that you did not have the opportunity to stay with us. Certainly, had we had the ability to provide you with two beds, surely we would have done so.
Atlanta, United States
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This is a new Hilton, opened late 2012 and I've stayed there a half dozen times. You can walk to most of the Columbus areas, especially the Short North with its dining options and the Arena District for entertainment. Plus it's attached to the Convention Center if you are headed there.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write. Your business is greatly appreciated and glad you have enjoyed your stays. The location is definitely perfect to enjoy everything Columbus has to offer!
Columbus, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The accommodations and service were excellent. My wife and I were treated royally and the view of the city, from our room was exceptional. When you want to experience a get-away in the heart of the city. I recommend Hilton Columbus, OH

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank L.A. G
Thank you for the nice note. We were honored to be your host during such a special occasion and look forward to your celebrating many anniversaries with us!