“Beautiful modern hotel in downtown”

Hilton Columbus Downtown
Ranked #6 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Gurnee, Illinois, United States
“Beautiful modern hotel in downtown”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was in town four days for a convention across the street. The Hilton was one of three area hotels my company stayed at. I was SO happy they put me in the Hilton. The rooms were gorgeous and modern, the bed was comfortable and the bathrooms were well laid out and clean. I ate one meal at the hotel and it was absolutely delicious. The lobby bar also made good sized cocktails for an acceptable price.

The location is superb for business as well as leisure. There's a walkway to the convention center, plus there are dozens of fantastic restaurants and bars in the area you can access. The lobby is gorgeous, huge and kept very clean. I had no issues with elevators or technical issues with any of the modern technology in the room.

When I return to Columbus for business again I will definitely seek out the Hilton

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for the thoughtful note and glad you enjoyed your stay. The iconic skybridge makes for easy access to and from the Convention Center. We are happy to hear about your experience at Gallerie for dinner and drinks – it’s become a local favorite! We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Eh, its OK, its a Hilton. Very friendly staff, but clueless , truly clueless about any of the local questions I asked. I was shocked. WiFi is HORRIBLE. Good location, both directly behind and to the north of the hotel there is a lot of options. I guess this is a good as it gets for Columbus, but for goodness sake, where is the training on local knowledge PS I really got ticked off when I saw a cab driver giving a bellman $2 so I could get in his cab. I find it highly unethical. Also, the Club Lounge is a joke. Carrot sticks and microwaved meatballs in the evening. Pretty unfriendly staff their too, unlike the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: DONT upgrade to the Club Lounge level. Complete waste of money
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I deeply regret that you did not completely enjoy your stay. The evening offerings in the Executive Lounge, which include two hot items in addition to cheese, crackers, fruit and crudités, do vary on a daily basis and sorry you did not enjoy the offerings on that particular day. Lounge access also includes breakfast, all-day snacks and complimentary non-alcoholic beverages in a beautiful, private and relaxing atmosphere with a panoramic city view. I must admit that I am bit stumped on the staff’s lack of knowledge of the area as all front desk staff are local and quite well versed on area attractions. As the General Manager, I accept full responsibility for the actions of my team and apologize that they did not meet expectations. There is extensive bandwidth and strong signals on the state-of-the-art wifi system; not sure if there was a problem at the particular time when you were using it and would be glad to refund any charge if it did not met your needs. I hope we will have the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence on the next visit to the city.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We only booked for one night for a concert that was in town and I really didn't have anything to do with the booking i left it up to my wife. We we arrived my wife had told me that she booked a club level room as a surprise and I thought that would be cool . When we checked in the girl at the front desk told us she didn't have any room's available and wouldn't have any? This is what drives me crazy how does this happen?, You book a room on there own website, your a honors member and get bumped. This is a sure fire way to make me not want to stay with Hilton's. Sorry but it is. At the very least they should have done even a better upgrade if they sell out booked rooms to other people. I also let american express know of this. It just drives me crazy. Anyway the room we did end up with was really nice and clean. Large for downtown hotels and the bathroom was great overall i like the room. Perfect for a few nights. The restaurant food and service were outstanding ! , I wish i could remember the guys name who served us because he was great , had awesome drink ideas for the ladies and great knowledge of the food and downtown for that matter. The bar after the concert was good even with a packed house. We had some late night pizza's which were prefect late night food. Overall in closing i would come back. The hotel itself was large, clean and very nice.

Room Tip: Room with a street view, make's it feel larger
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your honest feedback and I certainly understand and agree with your frustration. My sincerest apologies for the problem with your reservation. We should have the room reserved and not sure why that did not happen. Unfortunately, with the anonymous aspect of TripAdvisor, I am unable to research and explain why this happened. I will follow up with a private note. I am glad that that despite the start, you did enjoy your stay particularly the restaurant. Again, my apologies for the problem lack of availability on the Executive Floor.
Fremont, United States
Reviewed 30 September 2013

High price for room and costly breakfast. The hotel entry through the parking garage was a long way and very confusing. Being a Hilton club member, I should have gotten a free breakfast. Restrooms were a long way from the front desk. Hotel location was pretty good for being downtown. Great piano bar nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We also offer valet parking which is much more convenient and an excellent value with unlimited in/out privileges up to 5pm on the day of departure. Restrooms are located near the meeting spaces and restaurant as opposed to the front desk. Breakfast is a benefit of Gold and Diamond Hilton HHonors members, but not Blue unfortunately though we do have a bed/breakfast package that you might want to consider on a future visit.
New Orleans
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is a great hotel in the arena district of Columbus. The hotel rooms are well designed with luxurious linens and comfortable beds. The bathroom I had was a large size with a very nice walk-in shower. The staff at the hotel was wonderful. I definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind note. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and particularly appreciate your gracious compliments of the service.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This Hilton is located next to the Convention Center and within a few blocks of several restaurants and bars. The price is pretty much what you'd expect from a downtown hotel and unlike some, you actually get a relatively nice room with updated amenities for your money.
The only drawback that I found was that it took housekeeping until very late in the afternoon to get the room serviced if the hotel was busy. I was there for 5 days and the first day's service didn't happen until 4:00 in the afternoon.
Other than that, a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: You're going to be in a downtown hotel, so a high floor is always a good choice to avoid the noi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
We appreciate your feedback! Glad you generally enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the delay in housekeeping service, certainly that isn’t what we aim for and we hope to serve you better on your return visit.
cleveland
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My spouse and I spent a long weekend at this hotel. It is clean and beautiful. As was stated in earlier reviews the art work throughout is wonderful. In fact you can, at the front desk, but a paperback book showing all of the works of art. Every staff member is ready and willing to help out. A shout out to Brad and Chetara at the front desk. The pool is clean and fortunately not heated like a bath tub. The exercise room is good and also clean. The location is great for food, drink, convention going and also some nice art galleries.

Room Tip: For $4 more, get the valet parking. Give yourself about 10-15 minutes to get your car during busy p...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind note. I am so glad you enjoyed your return visit and particularly appreciate your gracious compliments of the service you received from Brad and Chetara. I shared your note with the team in our recognition program.