“OVERNIGHT”

Ranked #6 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
COLUMBUS, United States
“OVERNIGHT”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very nice hotel, but not very good service. Parking garage was disconnected to the hotel. We had to ring a few times to get in and we were double charged for the very expensive parking. Great room, low value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is by far the best hotel I have every stayed at, and I've stayed at many throughout the world. It still has that new hotel smell, look and feel. The staff were friendly, informative and attentive. As a Diamond member I was upgraded to a Parlor Suite. I came close to handcuffing myself to the door because I didn't want to leave. If you're ever in Columbus, you'd really be making a big mistake by not spending at least one night at this hotel. One night will instantly sell you and you'll never want to stay at any other hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Columbia, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I hosted 130 people for a conference at the Hilton Downtown Columbus. The hotel was amazing and the staff went above and beyond to make sure that every detail was taken care of and my guests were comfortable. I did not recieve one complaint from 130 guests, how often does that happen. I highly recommend this property for business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Brodhead, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The lobby was gorgeous. We had an amazing view facing downtown. The room was perfect for the two of us. Quiet, clean, sleek. They even helped us celebrate my birthday. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Valet parking was quick and well priced. Great location in downtown Columbus.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Toledo, OH
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel location is great and I'm glad to see Hilton finally put a full service property in that area.

Staff was great. Parking is convenient and loved the pool.

As a Hilton Diamond, wasn't given a suite upgrade (I was told they only have a few suites) but no problem with an exec upgrade. Hotel is only a couple years old and therefore the furniture is new and it's pretty modern.

One issue I have with a lot of US Hiltons is they give access to all HH-Gold's instead of limiting it to diamonds and those on the exec level, which creates overcrowding and makes it hard to find a seat, especially in the past couple years since Hilton started handing out Gold status like candy. This property only gives lounge access to diamonds and in the exec rooms. If they gave access to all gold's it would be SRO with all the Gold's in the US and I hope the property keeps this policy in place.

Only reason I am giving this property four instead of five stars is the lounge breakfast. I wasn't that impressed with the offerings, and I know gold's who have stayed there and get a better breakfast in the restaurant. I feel this property should offer at least the same offerings to diamonds that they do to golds and should offer a voucher for the restaurant like gold's get. I would have had no issue paying for a hot breakfast in the restaurant for the same price gold's get it at with the continental breakfast upgrade price, but I was told I didn't have that ioption

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm in two minds about this hotel...

Let me start with the plus points: the location is excellent and there are many bars and restaurants within a short walk of the hotel. I didn't come into contact with many staff but the lady on front desk was polite and my room was clean.

My only real gripes are that my room was a little on the small side for what I paid, compared with other hotels I stayed in on this trip. Also, my room with an 'external view' had a lovely view of a multi-storey parking lot directly across from my room, I'm literally talking about 50 feet away. Lastly and this is something that infurtiates me about Hilton hotels, they charge for WiFi access. Why do Hamptons (a lower budget member of Hilton's portfolio) offer this for free yet you stay at one of Hilton's supposed better establishments and they charge you?

Overall, there's nothing much wrong with this place and it does what it says on the tin. However, if I ever go back to Columbus I'll probably look to stay somewhere else that delivers slightly more value for money.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor, external view. This will hopefully stop you having a room facing the lobby o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SoloChris
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My wife, our cousin and myself booked two rooms at the Hilton for one night last Tuesday.
The hotel is located in the vibrant Short North neighborhood of downtown Columbus.. The hotel is relatively new but is designed in the tired 1980s Hyatt atrium style. We asked for a room with a king bed but they had only one king bed room left and it was a room for people with disabilities . We took that room which was reasonably nice. However, the next morning when we showered we noticed that the shower head had a very narrow and forceful spray which could not be properly adjusted. Additionally, the shower stall was designed for wheelchair access so the spray caused water to overflow the shower area and the water ran into the bedroom and entry hall area.
Additionally, when I checked into the hotel I asked front desk personnel for a phone charger for my Samsung Galaxy phone and was told they had no chargers that would fit my phone. They said the only chargers available were for sale at the gift shop which opened at 7am the next morning. As it turned out, the gift shop didn't have a charger that worked on my phone. I complained to the gift store clerk who called the hotel security office and asked if they had a phone charger to fit my phone. Security had a suitable charger and brought it to me within 5 minutes. I was shocked that I was told several times by front desk personnel the previous day that the hotel didn't have such a charger. I was quite frustrated so I emailed the manager who graciously apologized. Overall, I was left with a negative impression of this hotel and would not return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank John I
Christian C, General Manager at Hilton Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The atrium design is part of the LEED Gold certification which provides natural sunlight into the interior of the hotel reducing energy consumption. The glass ceiling is embedded with ceramic disks that hold the heat during the day and then release it during the evening hours. Similarly, the shower heads design provides great pressure with the lowest water consumption. Combined with the latest in mechanical engineering, the LEED programs allow the building to operate at about 1/3 the energy consumption of a similar size hotel which is pretty remarkable. We do apologize that the new team member was unaware of the availability of such cords and appreciate you sharing your experience as a learning opportunity. I deeply regret that this left a negative impression on the hotel and hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust and confidence on a future trip to the area.