“never disappoints”

The Refectory Restaurant & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Refectory Restaurant & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,285 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$25 - US$60
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Just west of Route 315
Description: An upscale dining experience with a very unique ambiance in 19th century historical building. Contemporary and classic French cuisine. Unparalleled service and a wine program unlike any other. In addition to Dining Room Menu; Wine Retail Store, Wine Tastings, Bistro Dining, Dinner Music Series No dress code required; dressy casual or business casual
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was there for my 54th birthday tonight. We are not fancy people but they always treat us like royalty. And I don't mean they're obsequious, either. They always seem very genuine and friendly- I don't know how they manage to get that many great servers! I had some gorgeous veal ravioli to start and then skate wing and green lipped mussels. One thing that is so special here is the smaller portions allow you to enjoy something a little richer. The chocolate bread pudding for dessert is unparalleled. We love you Refectory, thank you for so many beautiful birthdays and anniversaries.

Kamal B, Owner at The Refectory Restaurant & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Kat,

Welcome Back! We are so glad you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us! We greatly value your continued support and appreciate your very kind words about our staff. The most important decision we make is finding the right staff that truly care about the experience of our guests, so it is nice when our efforts are noticed over the many years you have been joining us!

Please let me know if I can ever be of service to you in any way.

As Always! It is our pleasure to serve you,
owner

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have been going here for 30 years. The quality is superb and has never wavered. Such elegant ambiance. Normal size portions of delicious food, prepared perfectly. They will make suggestions for wine pairings with your meal and have a huge wine cellar.

Dear Susan,

Thanks so much for coming in and THANK YOU for making us your all-time favorite Columbus Restaurant! We have privileged to serve central Ohio for 38 years and over the years have been blessed with a great team, some of which have been here between 20 and 34 years. Without their efforts and your continued support, this would not be possible.
Please let me know if I can ever be of service to you in any way and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

As Always! It is our pleasure to serve you,

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Great French restaurant! We were very pleased with the selection & portions. We had the duck & filet mignon for our main courses, excellent. Along with those, the highlights were the beet salad with Gorgonzola cheese & the creme brûlée. Can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Lexi M
Kamal B, Owner at The Refectory Restaurant & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Lexi,
Thanks for dining with us and for taking the time to share your positive impressions!

For a more casual evening, the mid-week Three-Course Bistro Menu changes every week and is served in the Lounge for 23.95 for all three courses.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and please don't hesitate to let me know if I can ever be of service to you in any way.

614-451-9774

For the future and a unique experience here, keep in mind the Jazz Dinner Clubs or if you like classical music the String Quartet events. Both are an entire evening of dining and entertainment that begin at 6 pm and go until about 9 pm. They are very popular and are limited to the first 36 guests. Reservations are accepted by phone only and the set Four-Course menu changes for every event, but we can make adjustments in advance based on your dietary concerns.
The line-up is on our website with the menus posted in advance. Refectory Jazz Dinner Club

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Finally had the opportunity to try out this restaurant and take advantage of their prix fixe Valentine's Day menu. I must say, we were VERY happy with our selection! Definitely on the pricey side of Columbus' restaurant scene, but well worth it! The offered menu options were unique, and they were more than happy to accommodate my vegetarian requests. I actually quite enjoyed the experience of not knowing what each course was going to entail. Besides the food being absolutely delicious and the portions being well worth the money, what sets this place a step (or 4 or 5) ahead of other options in the area is the incredible service. Little touches and an incredibly attentive staff from start to finish made this a truly amazing experience and we are definitely going to be putting this into our rotation of restaurants. Can't say this was my "best" restaurant experiences, but definitely up there... and I'd say the late Charlie Trotter's is pretty good company.

Thanks so much for celebrating Valentine's Day with us! We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions and your kind words of encouragement!

614-451-9774

Also, for the future and a unique experience here, keep in mind the Jazz Dinner Clubs or if you like classical music the String Quartet events. Both are an entire evening of dining and entertainment that begin at 6 pm and go until about 9 pm. They are very popular and are limited to the first 36 guests. Reservations are accepted by phone only and the set Four-Course menu changes for every event, but we can make adjustments in advance based on your dietary concerns.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We visited the Refectory for the first time this weekend for Valentine's Day. This kind of restaurant certainly is a treat for us as we're not accustomed to dropping 100 + for a night out, but I thought this would be a nice place to try and they did give us a coupon for $25 off for signing up on their e-mail list.

I appreciate the old school classy restaurant feel of this place, without being overly pretentious. It probably doesn't seem a big deal to most of their clientele who are used to a certain kind of treatment, but it was nice to go to a nice place where everybody was dressed up (no jeans here which you see anymore at supposedly upscale restaurants) and somebody checked your coat and your silverware was changed for every course.

The food was unique and very good. We started with drinks and then a lobster bisque and Gumbo (our favorites) that our waitress mentioned were additions to the menu which were marvelous. One little thing here (my only criticism of the evening) is that I only had glanced at the soups/salads and had seen the seasonal soupe for $7 which I assumed would be the price. The waitress didn't mention pricing and we wish she had (my wife mentioned that she thinks the waitress should mention the price with the "specials") because I about fell off my chair when I realized they charged us $11 for each soup. It was good and plentiful, but it wasn't that good---$11 for Soup?? Really?? So anyway, its a good lesson to ask ahead of time and for the rest of my life, I'll remind my wife of the time I spent $11 for soup.

The irony is overall despite this little hiccup, we thought the value of the place was very good. With the coupon, our entree's came only to $40. My wife had the shoulder tenderloin and I had the bison flat iron steak. We really liked our meals very much. Small sides (no baked potato to be had here!), but very good. For dessert, we had the creme brulee (after all it is a French Restaurant). i was pleasantly surprised that it was big enough for 2 people and it was superb--better than we had when we visited Paris and a good value at $8. The bill was still well over $100 once drinks, the aformentioned soups, tax and tip came in, but it was still well worth the money, although I may have to take out another mortgage.

I really want to make special mention of the service. The service was just top notch--they are very well staffed and everybody was very polite from coat check to maitre'd to our wait staff. I think I drove the "bread guy" a little crazy especially when he dared to take my bread away from me when dinner was over. He was very apologetic and brought my more butter (the wait staff probably joked about the guy who really liked his bread). And although this probably wouldn't be a big deal to a lot of people, but we were having just tap water with our meal and they were very quick to make sure our glasses were full and that we were well attended at all times (without the unnecessary chit chat that most waiters do at "regular" restaurants looking to better their tip). I also appreciated that we were not rushed--i'm a notoriously slow eater who talks a lot during dinner, so thank you

Lastly, the place is a very romantic place (even though our table next to us had an unruly child during the first half of dinner--don't know why anybody would bring a child to a place like this) and very beautiful. We loved the building (our maitre d' said it was over 150 years old) and really like the bar/bistro area very much which we plan to stop by on our next visit with hopefully not as much sticker shock (please send more coupons!). Our maitre d' was very nice to talk about the bistro and their special events with my wife as we left. I did want to let the restaurant know that there was a "gentleman" in the parking lot when we went to get our car that made me feel a little uncomfortable (you sensed he didn't belong there), although he left us alone and even politely said hello, but perhaps the restaurant may consider a security guard or valet (the restaurant has a small parking lot so this may seem a bit silly) to counteract this.

Many thanks for celebrating Valentine's Day and we are so glad you enjoyed your evening with us. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions and your kind words of encouragement!

If joining for us this menu, please ask for the Bistro Menu when making reservations. Refectory Bistro Menu.

Also, the gentleman in the parking lot is in fact Parking Lot Security for us!