“"Good Food"”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 2,305 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$31 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 23
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This was my first time eating at J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood. We were seated immediately with no wait. The waitress was attentive and friendly. We had the onion rings and Maytag Potato chips as an appetizer. They were "Pretzel crusted onion rings" with three different dipping sauces. The homemade potato chips were drenched with blue cheese sauce. Yum! My daughter had the Flat Iron Steak which was cooked to perfection. It came with sweet potato fries. They were the best sweet potato fries I have ever tasted. I had the Mesquite Chicken with grilled asparagus and parmesan herb roasted potatoes. It was delicious. I would recommend this restaurant to people who like food cooked by a good chef who cares about what he serves to patrons. You may pay a little more for the dinners but it's worth it if you care about the taste on the palate.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have had the pleasure of eating at this establishment over the past several years and can, without hesitation, say the quality of food and excellent service has never changed. I was there for my birthday this past weekend, and commented to the bartenders about the length of time they had worked there. Both had been there over 15 years which is a testament to good management.
In this city of exceptional restaurants, I have to say this remains one of my all time favorites. BTW, the lobster mac and cheese is to die for......

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I have passed by this place for 6 or 7 years and had never stopped. Several of us ate there last night on the advice of a mutual friend. What a great surprise!

The strip steaks were some of the best I have ever eaten anywhere. Fresh bread. Spinach. Potatoes au gratin.

I only get to Columbus 2 or 3 times a year but this will become a regular place for me.

Thanks for a great time and a great steak!

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I make my way to Columbus about once a year, and while I have eaten at some really nice places all over the Country, J. Gilbert's ranks among the best. The food is always excellent, Steaks are cooked to perfection and their Seafood is so fresh, and the service it's second to none. With the dark wood paneling and sutle lighting, it's a great place for a romantic dinner or power lunch with clients. I never miss a chance to enjoy J. Gilbert's when I'm in Columbus, and neither should you.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

After a horrible visit on 2/11/13, I sent the following letter to J. Gilbert's mgmt via USPS. No one responded. I have removed a lot of detail in order to stay within 5000 characters.

We had a lot to celebrate... My husband and I invited our parents to dinner - to celebrate Valentine's Day a bit early, my parents' 43rd anniversary, our 6th anniversary the building of our new home. In fact, that last part was critical because we also had just told them they were finally going to be grandparents. Like I said, we had a lot to celebrate. We trusted many a special occasion to the restaurant - funds were a bit different back in those days, but we splurged when we could... we sent our parents there for their anniversaries on many occasions. We were never disappointed until our last visit.
Once seated, we quickly ordered one of our old favorites - the Maytag blue cheese chips... "they don't rush things here - they'll pay attention to the timing of the meal... no worries". We even let it go when the chips were soggy and quite sub par to both of our memories. I apologized to [name removed] because I was about to order the burger... it seemed wrong but I simply had to have the pretzel roll and sweet potato fries. Plus, I had plotted for weeks to finish with chocolate cake and that would allow me a fantastic left over for the next day so that I could save room for dessert. When I ordered, I requested that the au poivre mayo and shallot jam be held...I only wanted the watercress and gruyere. The server kindly agreed and I finalized my order by confirming that I wanted the temperature to be medium.
My mother's soup was served before the appetizer if I remember correctly - it was a bit strange for timing but since the chips were poor it didn't really matter. The real trouble started when our meals were delivered. They arrived one by one and looked amazing. My mother's filet came without the blue cheese -the server later brought a small ramekin of cold blue cheese crumbles. Mine arrived... after a bite, I checked under the bun - yep... sauce. When the server stopped by to see how things were, I asked her to clarify what type of sauce was on the burger. She said, "It is supposed to be plain". I explained that I knew this but that it was indeed on there and that I was hungry so I'd just let it go. She insisted that she at least bring me a new bun. At this point, I handed her the plate and she said she would make it right. The sandwich returned and the bun on top had been replaced - the burger itself was the same with my initial cut and small bite. I checked the bottom bun and it was still on there. I asked a different server to find our server and a few minutes later I had to yell to get someone's attention. I pointed out that the sauce was still on the bottom part. She appeared to be quite surprised and took the burger. She returned yet again with a very hot plate. The bun was mostly without sauce on the top and bottom; however, it was still the original patty (completely sliced through and with one small bite) and was now beyond well done.
The server yet again stopped to check on the burger and I said it was fine. She asked again ... I pointed out that it was very well done at this point since they continued to heat up and bring me the same burger but that I just wanted to let it go. She offered to bring the table some desserts on the house if we wanted. I told her that I had wanted dessert but that I couldn't eat something that rich if I hadn't eaten dinner. She mumbled quietly "well, I'm just offering it and I'll have the burger removed from your bill. So, the overdone burger sat in front of me for the next 60 minutes as the rest of my family thankfully enjoyed their food.
The desserts arrived and I had some but I couldn't really enjoy it - certainly couldn't eat much of it since I had only had a wedge of bread, some soggy chips and sweet potato fries. When she delivered the check, she confirmed that the burger and both desserts would be removed from our bill. The cake and burger were indeed removed... the prix fixe price was not adjusted and therefore the crème brulee was obviously not credited.My husband opened up his to-go box so that he could try and save some of the cake for me. He then found his father's lobster mac and cheese in his container. We sorted it out ourselves, paid the bill and left. At no point during our two-hour stay at J. Gilbert's did anyone other than our server come by. I couldn't believe that the same plate went back to the kitchen 3 times and a manager didn't check on us. What I still can't believe is that at no point did anyone simply insist on actually making it right - making me a new entrée even if all I did was take it home. At 8p I found myself eating an Arby's roast beef sandwich after I had spent two hours and $250 at what we thought was one of the best restaurants and our favorite in Columbus.