“Not what was expected”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 2,222 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$31 - US$60
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 23
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week. Reservations are recommended.
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“Not what was expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Based on the reviews I expected an upscale steakhouse but was disappointed. The service was above average and the ambiance was very steakhouse but the food was lacking. The dressing on my wedge salad was so watery it would barely stick to the greens. My steak was half again as expensive as a Longhorns and certainly no better. My au gratin potatoes potatoes were undercooked with some actually raw. The sautéed spinach was drowned in oil. On the plus side my wife and another guest had the salmon which they said was superb and a large serving. Maybe the chef had a bad night preparing my meal.

• Visited October 2013
Thank Jr. Md Thad C

Houston, Texas
“Generous all around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Starting with the friendly welcome and prompt seating at our table, I figured we were in for a treat. I quickly discovered I was right. Immediate service at the table and before I knew it, my VERY generous single malt was places front of me.
I chose the 3 course selection and my filet was absolutely perfect! Tasty mashed potatoes accompanied with grilled asparagus; paired with a great Cabernet and completed with a wonderful cheese cake.
A great meal, not just for the money...a great meal period.
If you're I'm the area, go and enjoy. You'll be glad you did.

Powell, Ohio
“Good restaurant for a nice dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We went to the restaurant for the first time in many years by recommendation from friends. We were not disappointed: service was excellent, varied, reasonably priced wine list, and good food. Our rating didn't go to excellent because the salmon dish was a little over cooked, not bad enough to return (which they offered), quite improved with a bernaise sauce form another dish.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mike_Harriet
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent filet, romantic atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Went for my wedding dinner, just my wife an I. Made reservation requesting best available table as newlyweds Was seated at LEAST good table along a hallway when nice ones were available...Poor form. In a suit and wife in long dress. Changed to very nice 2-seater by fireplace. Both had 8 oz filets that were perfect. Acknowledging our wedding, they brought complimentary flutes of champagne. Nice touch and made up for seating debacle. Waitress was young, but good. Atmosphere is very nice and for us, romantic. I would return.

• Visited August 2013
Westerville, Ohio
“Service, your slip is showing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and I have relied upon J Gilbert's as our first choice for fine dining over the past 15 years. We love their food and atmosphere, and, up until the past few years, have always had service on par with the rest of the experience -- that is, stellar. We have to say, though, fully half of our last 6-8 visits, including tonight's, has been brought down a full grade point by very mediocre service. From a serious lack of wine knowledge, to overly chatty interruptions (one visit over the holidays had our waitress detained throughout our meal by gift exchanges with other parties, seriously!), to a lack of depth of menu knowledge...and tonight we experienced bad meal pacing and our servant forgot to box up a portion of my wife's dinner she was expecting to share with our son at home. Of course, we didn't notice the mistake until getting halfway home, and true, it was partly our forgetfulness to blame. But 4-5 star service shouldn't require patrons to remind servers of earlier requests, right? Anyway, J Gilbert's, we love you, but you are working too hard to drive us away lately. If the GM or Manager reviews these kind of posts (which they should), we recommend that you review your serving staff carefully and keep only the best, or you will lose a regular couple who consistenly spend $100 plus per visit.

• Visited August 2013