“Nice restaurant”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 2,285 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$31 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 23
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We went to J. Gilbert's for my birthday last night. It had overall good reviews and we had never been before, we were not disappointed.

My wife got the maple plank roasted salmon and it was great. I got the 4 ounce filet and a jumbo lump crabcake. The filet was cooked perfectly and the crabcake was great, though certainly not very big. For our sides, we both had the poblano au gratin potatoes which had a very slight kick to them but were very good. My wife also got the green beans which she liked. My other side was the lobster mac n cheese which had rave reviews. I thought it was just ok, I've had much better man n cheese and this did not have a lobster taste to it contrary to the name. There did appear to be tiny bits of lobster in this dish, but for someone who loves lobster like myself, there just wasn't much to taste. I suppose if you're used to boxed mac n cheese, you would think this was great. But for anyone that has had a really good, gourmet mac n cheese, this leaves a lot to be desired.

My parents went to dinner with us and both had steak as well. My father which is a big steak guy, said his was one of the best he's ever had. This says a lot as we've eaten at all the higher end steak houses in the area as well as on our many travels.

The ambiance was nice, though slightly dark. Our server was great, quick and attentive to drink refills, etc.

We will definitely go back, probably for my wifes birthday.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I came here for dinner because of the great reviews on T.A. and was not disappointed. The Wood Fired steak was simply the best I've ever had. The soup was also outstanding and so was the service.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Looks like the reviews are half and half- we thought it was a great night dining at J.Gilberts.
This was our first visit, we had a charcuterie, a trio of filets, lobster cobb salad, sides and then chocolate cake and carrot cake with coffee. It was all delicious. The service was great and we were very comfortable and happy.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Had dinner here this evening with a coworker and was surprised how poor both the quality of the food and the service was. Firstly, the table was so dark it was difficult to actually see the menu. Second, after selecting a couple of draft beers from the drinks menu, we were told no draft beers were available since they were cleaning the lines. Why they should see fit to do this in the middle of dinner service is beyond me. We both had seafood starters and we both had blackened chicken penne entrees. If I had to sum-up the food in one word, it would be 'mediocre' (and I'm being kind). Honestly, I had better food at the bar across the street (Winking Lizard). To top it all, our female server appeared pretty disinterested and lacked any kind of warmth. For the prices they charge, I expected a LOT more of this place. Will never return.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We attended a wedding anniversary celebration here yesterday. What a treat! The ambiance was typical of a high end venue, beautiful tables, crystal, candles, great bar...but the food!! The ceasar salad was plentiful and delicious, I would have liked a few more croutons, but over all it was fantastic. Flavors were not overwhelming, the portion was generous and it was the perfect start to the meal. The filet was more than outstanding, and the mashed potatoes were also generous. The only dissapointment was the asperagus, which was not as "done" as I would have liked and cold. The desserts were amazing! I chose the creme brule and was not let down. The berries and cream was tempting, I have to admit, and I wish someone had offered a taste, but that's something to try "next time". The servers were well informed about the menu and made great suggestions.....try it! You'll love it

Been to J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood? Share your experiences!