“An old world hidden gem”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 2,289 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$31 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 23
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Bleu potato chips & Chocolate Velvet Cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy a quiet table or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner 7 days a week. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 31 December 2013

It's not in the 'hot spots' of the city limits but more in suburban location with several other restaurants and near a great movie theater. The vibe is very unassuming from the outside, but warm, cosy and upscale-like inside with the abundance of dark wood and low lighting.
i think its a great place for a special dinner.
Now the food is fantastic. I know many say this all the time, and one has to take into account what the poster's experience has been. Well, the food has been consistently well made (seafood, steaks, lambchops) and the desserts are fresh. The service continues to remain top notch with a very pleasant staff. I constantly wonder why other 'fine' restaurants inthe city get more chatter when this one outperforms them in many instances. Try it.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood may give an out-of-towner fits on finding it, but the restaurant is a favorite with locals. Ask for specific directions especially at night.

If you are not on an expense account, J. Gilbert's has a list of moderately priced entrees. The facility, while it can seat a large number of diners, has a layout which provides some privacy and quiet. It has an inviting decor with brickwork.

As with its name, the restaurant specializes in steak and seafood--but there is a variety of choices. Don't let the current highway construction, scare you off. J. Gilbert's is one of the better places in Central Ohio.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We went to J. Gilbert's for my birthday last night. It had overall good reviews and we had never been before, we were not disappointed.

My wife got the maple plank roasted salmon and it was great. I got the 4 ounce filet and a jumbo lump crabcake. The filet was cooked perfectly and the crabcake was great, though certainly not very big. For our sides, we both had the poblano au gratin potatoes which had a very slight kick to them but were very good. My wife also got the green beans which she liked. My other side was the lobster mac n cheese which had rave reviews. I thought it was just ok, I've had much better man n cheese and this did not have a lobster taste to it contrary to the name. There did appear to be tiny bits of lobster in this dish, but for someone who loves lobster like myself, there just wasn't much to taste. I suppose if you're used to boxed mac n cheese, you would think this was great. But for anyone that has had a really good, gourmet mac n cheese, this leaves a lot to be desired.

My parents went to dinner with us and both had steak as well. My father which is a big steak guy, said his was one of the best he's ever had. This says a lot as we've eaten at all the higher end steak houses in the area as well as on our many travels.

The ambiance was nice, though slightly dark. Our server was great, quick and attentive to drink refills, etc.

We will definitely go back, probably for my wifes birthday.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I came here for dinner because of the great reviews on T.A. and was not disappointed. The Wood Fired steak was simply the best I've ever had. The soup was also outstanding and so was the service.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Looks like the reviews are half and half- we thought it was a great night dining at J.Gilberts.
This was our first visit, we had a charcuterie, a trio of filets, lobster cobb salad, sides and then chocolate cake and carrot cake with coffee. It was all delicious. The service was great and we were very comfortable and happy.