“Consistently Very Good”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Columbus, Ohio
“Consistently Very Good”
Reviewed 17 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This used to be a frequent stop for us, but it's been some time. Went during the week and was a little disappointed how few people were there. Service was great, as was the food. Only small complaint was that the naan didn't seem to be as good as it had been. But the two entrees were fantastic.

Time and again this is one of the top two Indian restaurants in the city. Nothing is overdone, never too much grease and everything is made fresh and to order. And they get the amount of spice exactly how you order it.

Visited December 2013

Columbus, Ohio
“Not the Best But A Close Second”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have had quite a bit of Indian food. It is one of my favorite kinds of food culturally. I have driven past this place for many years and didn't check out the place until this month. One of my best friend's who is Indian, told me that the food was good. So that spoke volumes. When I arrived I noticed that there were a couple Indian families eating dinner. That was a positive sight. I thought the decor was very nice and the ambiance felt romantic. The lights were dim and the tables had crisp white table cloths. However, I was not pleased with the slimy menu they gave me but I didn't mention it. We were given two papadams with some kind of green dipping sauce which I soon realized was the source of the slim on my menu. I had my first experience with lassi. I ordered the mango lassi which was really good. For dinner I got the Chicken Tikki Masala. I got it super spicy and it was delicious. I especially enjoyed my left overs the following day. My guy who doesn't enjoy Indian got the chicken kabob. It was in sausage form and not very good at all. You have to know what to order. I would not suggest any Indian place to anyone who has no knowledge of the food. When I was introduced to it, I had someone who guided me through the experience and knew how to order. Otherwise you can have a bad experience and end up hating the food because you are looking for something familiar that is no where near what you are expecting it to taste like. Experienced Indian foodies, I would recommend this place to. I definitely plan to return. It was mostly pretty good and the customer service was great. I will leave the man at home this time.

• Visited November 2013
Long Island, New York
“Great Service and Food”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The owner was very personable and went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Our waitress, Kelsey, was great and attentive. It seemed as if this restaurant has many regular customers and it has a warm atmosphere. The food was very good as well. My favorite dish was the free range chicken with yogurt-ginger sauce that was one of the specials. Overall, we had a very nice and quiet dinner and I hope to be back when I visit Columbus this Winter.

• Visited October 2013
Athens, Ohio
“No flavor or Aroma. Nice deco though”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

When I walked in, I loved the deco and the ambiance and thought I was in for a treat !
I ordered the Chicken Buriani and called my wife to inform her that I found a great Indian Restaurant. Never judge a book by its cover. I was served 2 large stogy Papadams as a free appetizer. Papadam should be served crisp within minutes of frying. The replacement after my complaint was the same.

The Chicken Buriani I ordered had no taste, aroma, and did not taste any thing like Buriani from India or Asia.Where are the Indian Spices in this dish ? Had I gone to a super market, I could have found better ready to serve Indian food. My advice to the owner is to hire a a good Chef. The food is terrible. Service is great. I will not visit again.

Chris

• Visited August 2013
Galloway, Ohio
“Okay lunch buffet”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

With my co-workers' suggestion, we ate at Indian Oven for lunch. You could select from the regular menu or buffet. I didn't think there was anything special about or stood out from the buffet selection. Rice, veggie curry, chicken curry, potatoes, nan, and chicken tandori. They all tasted good. Chicken curry was a bit of disappointment because chicken was a bit difficult to eat with bones and the curry was too soupy. I liked the veggie curry better. Tandori was good. One of my friends ordered samosas. OMG, they are huge!! That is something that I would like to take out. As it turned out, the owner is from Bangladish. It appears that each region even within India and Bangladish has different spiciness and taste. So I thought that was an interesting cultural lesson to learn. The owner was greeting people, and many repeat customers come to this place. I wished, though, they had more selections for buffet. I probably wouldn't hurry back there, though.

• Visited July 2013

Been to Indian Oven? Share your experiences!