“Try something new”

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We went to this place for early dinner by recommendation, They said the place is unique and unusual. we were also warned about the extra charge for the "traditional sitting" (nobody at restaurant did). The service was average at best (no water refills, not even straws), we were also charged for extra injera (traditional bread), the table was not very clean. Now, the most impotant part, food. I consider myself as a relative foodie, so I had to try something new. I think, there are three distinctive differences to this: everything is served on one big plate, ground meat is spiced in different spices (not better or worse to my palate, just different), and injera bread. As always, nothing is new under the sun. The bread looks, feels, and tastes almost like Russian unrolled and unsweetened blintzes, FitFIt appetizer is a variation of beets salad, and the roasted lamb dishes resemble Indian lamb curry dishes. I regret one thing that I did not try their coffee since I also consider myself as a coffee lover. The prices are very reasonable.
It is definitely an acquired taste. I'd go here again if I wanted something not fancy, unusual, a thing to cross off your bucket list if you have one.

1  Thank Alex F

Reviewed 3 December 2012

I really don't like giving bad reviews. I wish I had more positive things to say about this restaurant. My sister-in-law and niece really like it here.

The service was poor. We were not asked if we'd like drinks, and they didn't even bring us water until we were done eating. A restaurant's ability to keep my water glass from being empty is an important measurement for me. This placed failed worse than any other restaurant I've ever been to. In addition, we were only given one napkin for the 4 of us, so we tore it into a couple pieces to share.

Second, when we went up to the buffet, there were no clean plates. We had to stand there waiting for clean plates to be brought out.

Finally, while the food tasted okay, it was only lukewarm. I won't further comment on the food since it was my first time having Ethiopian, so I have nothing to measure it against. But for sure, I don't think the temperature of the food was right.

This place was a huge disappointment for us.

1  Thank cable_consultant
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My friend and I specifically chose Blue Nile because we were craving Ethiopian food while visiting Colubmus and had found a restaurant.com certificate which would have provided an added discount. The food was decent, though having eating Ethiopian many times at 2 restaurants in Chicago, 1 in Minneapolis, 1 in Houston, and 1 in Cincinnati before this, I can honestly say the food here at Blue Nile was average Ethiopian at best. The real surprise came when we received our bill and had been charged for having been seated at a "traditional" table setting to the tune of $1.25 per person and an extra $2 for another piece of injera (traditional Ethiopian bread). As said before, I've eaten at several Ethiopian restaurants across the country, and never have I been charged extra for injera or for a table setting! Waitstaff never told us about the extra charge at the time we were seated. We refused the extra charge for traditional seating, and this was removed. During our meal I was able to buy a restaurant.com certificate from my smart phone, which provided $15 off a bill of $22.50 or more. When presented with the certificate on the mobile app, the waitress refused to accept it, claiming that it was not legitimate, and she had never seen any such certificate other than $25 off $45 or more! We asked for the manager and were told once he couldn't be reached by phone, then the manager denied the certificate, and later still he was on vacation--the story changed 3 times! The waitress claimed "I just work here". Well, yes, you do!--and therefore you should be familiar with the promotions and discounts your establishment has, including restaurant.com. She even refused to call the redemption phone number for restaurant.com to verify the legitimacy of my certificate! After some rather rude yelling by the waitstaff (and another patron flaunting his machismo and cash), we were told to "get out"--without paying. Fine by me. I would NEVER go back here and NEVER recommend this restaurant to anyone. I haven't been treated so rudely in my life at a restaurant! Fortunately the very pleasant call rep at restaurant.com gladly put my $15 toward a certificate at another restaurant and let me know they'd be taking up this complaint with restaurant management.

1  Thank medboy74
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stopped in for lunch and they had a buffet of 10 items or so. Everything was delicious. I've gone on weekend nights to find the place packed. During lunch on a Wednesday there were few diners.
If you like stews and flavorful food Ethiopian dishes are fantastic. The Blue Nile is a gem.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Everything was wonderful. Our three year old loved eating at the traditional basket table. The food was wonderful. I do eat with a fork because I don't care for the bread that you are to eat with.