“Excellent local coffee”

Cuisines: Soups
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Why bother with Starbucks when you're in Columbus, Ohio?

Cup O Joe is a local coffee chain that offers coffee and espresso roasted by Stauf's, a local coffee roaster. Their offerings are, many would argue, better quality than the national chains, and most locations (including this one in Clintonville) offer local eats, as well, from Pattycake Bakery across the street to Sammy's bagels.

There's almost always a Cup O Joe not far from that Starbucks or Tim Horton's you're considering, so why not give this a try, instead?

Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is a local Ohio coffee shop and it's excellent! Good value! Very clean! Friendly staff. we enjoyed the outdoor seating on a glorious spring day.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Every time we are in Columbus, my husband and I argue about where to get the best cup of coffee. He preferred a place in Worthington but Cup O' Joe is ALWAYS my choice. Anything with white chocolate in it is the best but everything they serve is wonderful. All the locations are very cozy and friendly. I can sit there for hours to read and drink my coffee. Lastly, the service is always exceptional! I will always choose Cup O' Joe.

Reviewed 12 December 2009

I came to rely on Cup O Joe for my morning coffee and bagel, and one or two afternoon pick-me-ups. I liked it so much that I went out of my way to go there one last time, for my on the road jolt, as I set out for home.

Excellent coffee drinks, here! The 7:01 (aka red eye in other places I've been) was strong, dark, and smooth every time. They serve something I'd never seen before, a "mounds" -- a coconut & chocolate flavored latte. One of my favorite candy bars in coffee form? Yum!
The everything bagels were large, had the right kind of bagel chewiness, and good! (New York/Brooklyn set the standard for me and these measured up). If you ask for the bagel toasted, it actually gets toasted (not just lightly warmed) and if you order cream cheese you get 2 of the single-serving cream cheese containers -- not too much, not too little. Oh -- and the staff ask if you need room for milk or cream in your coffee and fill the cup according to your reply. (I hate having to pour out, to make room. A sad, sad waste of valuable caffeine!)

The place was always full -- I saw people of all ages using the free wifi, but also studying, reading, or just chatting with friends or family. Even though the cafe was busy, it wasn't noisy, just a had pleasant sort of hum. And it seemed like there was an unspoken ethic at work -- if done eating/drinking, yield table to someone who needs it. I'm not sure about that, but that's what seemed to be happening. Laid back and hip without feeling like it's trying to be.

I wish we had a place like this in my neighborhood. Knowing we don't have a Cup O' Joe here actually made me a little sad about leaving Columbus.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Lively coffee shop with great atmosphere

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook