“Christmas Eve”

J Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 2,275 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Campus View and North High Street
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We always go out for Christmas Eve dinner. We've gone to every fine dining restaurant on the north side in the past, but I've never been to J. Alexanders, although my husband has for work dinners. I had heard it was upscale and very nice. It was on par with other steakhouses in its immediate vicinity. The best thing about this visit was that our waiter, Bob, was excellent. He was knowledgeable, had recommendations, and was always attentive, picking up dishes almost immediately when we finished with them. This was, of course, an extremely busy night, so that was way above our expectations. He was very pleasant as well and even chatted a bit, just enough, when he had time. We had reservations and arrived about 8 minutes early and were immediately taken to a booth. I loved the booth situation. They are comfortable and are designed to seem separate unto themselves. You don't get the feeling there is a wall with someone immediately behind you. Very nice. The ambiance was bustling, as expected, but the noise level was absurd. As far as food, we liked the caeser salads very much and my husband was crazy for the roasted chicken. My preferred way of eating steak is with maitre d' butter, so I was pleased with that, but my steak had a lot of fat and gristle. It wasn't the greatest steak, I have to say. I was told the mac n cheese is awesome. It was good, but wish I had ordered the mashed potatoes as a substitution. The mac was pretty heavy. We shared a chocolate cake for dessert. It was just okay. The best chocolate cake, to me, can be found at Local Roots. This one was pedestrian and the vanilla ice cream that came with it wasn't a quality one, and had ice crystals throughout besides. It is sad that I liked almost everything about this restaurant except for the food, which I found just mediocre. Not bad, just nothing to write home about. There are other restaurants I would choose before it, but would have no problem returning if they were unavailable.

1  Thank flourchild1

Reviewed 3 November 2013

It has been a number of years since we have dined here. I had forgotten just how great the menu is, and how good the food is here. I don't eat meat, and there is an abundance of options for me here. The food presentation, service, quality were all excellent. I think the price for what we got was quite fair. We will definitely come back!

1  Thank Charles L
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Outstanding experience! One of the best meals we had in Columbus. When you order a Martini you get a side car with a second Martini on the side, that was a pleasant surprise! The server was very attentive the entire time and answered all of our questions. The meals were excellent and the portions were the biggest we'd seen on this trip. Very impressive!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had a 8oz filet which was good but not great. Somewhat of a upscale place with low lighting and good service.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I love eating Prime Rib. J Alexander's was the best Prime Rib I have ever had!!! It came with smash potatoes that were also very good. i will go back again.