“PERFECT EXPERIENCE!”

J Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 2,228 Restaurants in Columbus
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Campus View and North High Street
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“PERFECT EXPERIENCE!”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I took my grandson there for lunch on his 28th birthday, and from start to finish, it was such a great experience.
I had made the reservation online; they sent a confirmation email immediately as well as a reminder two days later.

We were seated the minute we walked in the door when I told the hostess our name. As soon as we sat down we were offered drinks, so no waiting there either. Drinks were brought quickly and our orders were taken by our server, Jeremy, who, by the way was very knowledgeable about different types of drinks. My grandson had some questions about different brands of gin and Jeremy was able to not only answer all of his questions, but was able to suggest a brand of gin my grandson had never tried...it was a huge success so he knew what he was talking about.
We ordered the smoked salmon dip to start with...it was fabulous! We then ordered prime rib with salads. The food was brought out in perfect sequence: appetizer first, then salads and then the dinners with just enough time in between to enjoy each before the next item was brought out. The prime rib was cooked to perfection, the salads flavorful and crisp.

Jeremy was attentive without being intrusive, brought more ice tea for me and ice water without being asked. Just the kind of server you want!

This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but I don't mind paying a little more when the food and service make the experience so pleasurable...and, you don't have to dress up..casual dress is fine.

Really a great experience, as always. We love J. Alexander's..have been there before, and will be back again...and we'll ask for Jeremy.

• Visited February 2014

Ohio
“What a meal!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I took my sweetie there for his birthday. We were immediately seated at a booth despite having no reservation. Ken was our terrific waiter. We both ordered steaks, and they were prepared perfectly. I think we were most impressed with the house salad which had all kinds of little surprises. The dressings, made there, were outstanding. We live nearby and will bring friends and family back with us next time. It was truly a lovely evening.

• Visited January 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Christmas Eve”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We always go out for Christmas Eve dinner. We've gone to every fine dining restaurant on the north side in the past, but I've never been to J. Alexanders, although my husband has for work dinners. I had heard it was upscale and very nice. It was on par with other steakhouses in its immediate vicinity. The best thing about this visit was that our waiter, Bob, was excellent. He was knowledgeable, had recommendations, and was always attentive, picking up dishes almost immediately when we finished with them. This was, of course, an extremely busy night, so that was way above our expectations. He was very pleasant as well and even chatted a bit, just enough, when he had time. We had reservations and arrived about 8 minutes early and were immediately taken to a booth. I loved the booth situation. They are comfortable and are designed to seem separate unto themselves. You don't get the feeling there is a wall with someone immediately behind you. Very nice. The ambiance was bustling, as expected, but the noise level was absurd. As far as food, we liked the caeser salads very much and my husband was crazy for the roasted chicken. My preferred way of eating steak is with maitre d' butter, so I was pleased with that, but my steak had a lot of fat and gristle. It wasn't the greatest steak, I have to say. I was told the mac n cheese is awesome. It was good, but wish I had ordered the mashed potatoes as a substitution. The mac was pretty heavy. We shared a chocolate cake for dessert. It was just okay. The best chocolate cake, to me, can be found at Local Roots. This one was pedestrian and the vanilla ice cream that came with it wasn't a quality one, and had ice crystals throughout besides. It is sad that I liked almost everything about this restaurant except for the food, which I found just mediocre. Not bad, just nothing to write home about. There are other restaurants I would choose before it, but would have no problem returning if they were unavailable.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank flourchild1
New York City, New York
“Forgotten gem”
Reviewed 3 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

It has been a number of years since we have dined here. I had forgotten just how great the menu is, and how good the food is here. I don't eat meat, and there is an abundance of options for me here. The food presentation, service, quality were all excellent. I think the price for what we got was quite fair. We will definitely come back!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Charles L
Niagara Falls, Ontario
“Beyond our expectations”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Outstanding experience! One of the best meals we had in Columbus. When you order a Martini you get a side car with a second Martini on the side, that was a pleasant surprise! The server was very attentive the entire time and answered all of our questions. The meals were excellent and the portions were the biggest we'd seen on this trip. Very impressive!

Visited October 2013

Been to J Alexander's Restaurant? Share your experiences!