“too funny!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 28 September 2013

this is an amazing mex restaurant. they just did a great remodeling job last year. they have decided that they will set the standard for fast service. when you enter, they ask how many in the party, and then the hostess mentions in the p.a. system how many people and where they are. you almost can't beat a server to your table bringing corn chips and salsa. a waitperson brings a menu at the same time and they give you maybe a minute to look it over before they come to take your order. if you need more time no problem. the waitstaff is straightforward, no schmoozing.

once you order, it's record time and you have your order. last time it was so hot (temperature hot), l almost burned my tongue. and it's the same with take outs. l will call in a take out, get in my car, reach the restaurant maybe 1/2 mile away, and half the time, it's ready. it's amazing to me.

now, here is my best tip. order a dessert. the best is choco taco, but they also have fried ice cream. they are both huge and only $2.99. they must have them already made up and in the freezer, because when you get it, the ice cream is solid cold.

how about the food. big selection, pretty good food. my wife and l are not big Mexican fans, but this place is close and someone who is an aficionado of mex stuff could probably make a better revue on that, but we find things to eat that aren't too spicy. l do camarones (shrimp), she like veggie burrito. prices are reasonable. personally, I would like more creamy sauces, but like l say, we're not that big on mex or tex-mex.

There are newer reviews for El Vaquero Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is a place we frequent in Columbus. The chips are always warm, the sauce is good and spicy option available on request. The vegetarian options are just amazing and quite elaborate on the preparation so that you know/can customize what you are getting. I'd recommend this any day.

PS: the one on Hillard is good too!

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Lots of choices, and all good. From the 'traditonal' that you can find anywhere, to unique items like their San Diego burrito (filled with Mexican sausage and smashed potatoes) - delish!!! Plus, if you like your beers big and cold, you'll love the 32oz frosted mug! We're also big fans of the mushroom quesadilla. Oh, and their barbacoa in the California burrito is the best anywhere!

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Nice place, large menu and easy access. Close to the cluster of hotels and Wal-Mart.
I didn't want to try one of the near by chains, so I opted for this. The open patio was full and lively. Happy hour was popular. They had Dos Equis Amber on draft - bonus!
Chips and salsa were okay, not outstanding. My server was attentive and part of an larger army of servers. The steak tacos were average and a little tough. I wished they would of had more flavor. Pico de Gallo saved it. Nothing jumped out as an excellent dish. But if you need an mexican fix, pass Taco Bell and come here.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We had a huge party of 15 people, half of them children. The hostess seated us promptly. It did take them quite a while to get our drink order, but once that was taken, everything went great. The food was wonderful. The server was nice and joked around with us. Our children made quite a mess, and the server was great about it all. (He also got a great tip!!) I'd definitely recommend this restaurant for families and large groups. They did a great job with our order!