“Taste of Speed”

1,056 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 805 helpful votes
“Taste of Speed”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Two hours of hands on driving instruction. It's a "Taste of Speed" that stock car racing satisfies every time.Instructors are great. You can do 3 lap shotgun ride along. Cost $64.. Three lap "Taste of speed". Cost $124.

1 Thank 387indy

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding Experience - take your time”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My fantastic wife bought me a 15 lap package for my birthday. The instructor for the class provided good information both on how to drive and what to expect on the track.
Don't try to be the first in line to drive. After suiting up take time to soak up the atmosphere. Watch some of the drivers from earlier classes do their driving and compare it to what you learned in the class.
When I got into the car, flipped the switches and pushed the starter button, the engine rumbled and roared to life and it was exciting - from start to finish. Nothing like it ... except more laps!

1 Thank david m
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A Fun Experience”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently did the 10 lap racing experience and in all it was a very fun. This is an organized and well run event, from the registration to the instruction to the actual racing experience. Everyone makes you feel welcome. There is a definite emphasis on safety, and rightfully so. I did not plan on purchasing the insurance but we arrived at the track early to watch some earlier drivers and witnessed a car run off of the track and hit the guard rail inside the track. Needless to say, I purchased the insurance when I registered just for the peace of mind. It was a great experience to get into the car and be buckled in and waiting for your group to go. I understood that the group of 4 cars on the track at a time would either have a pace car or else a few laps to get everyone spaced out and used to the track before actually going faster but that did not happen. As soon as we were on the track the spotter just said to go. That was a little bit unnerving because you don't really know where everyone else is or how fast to really get going. You just have to try to stay in the line and if you need to get out of someones way wait for the spotter to tell you what to do. I have to admit it is harder than I thought it would be to maintain your race line and know when to slow down and speed up into and out of the curves. Although it was well explained in the class and places marked on the track where to accelerate and decelerate, it was still difficult, which limited how fast I could actually go. The windshield on the car was not very clear and almost like looking through a fog which made it even more difficult to see the cones and gates that were marked on the track. There was one spotter for all four cars and it was sometimes hard to tell exactly what he was saying, but if you hear your car number you knew to pay attention and do as he says for your safety and the safety of the others. I wasn't going very fast but got stuck behind someone who was even slower than myself. You can not pass unless the spotter tells you to. After following the person for a couple of laps I finally got the go ahead to pass. At that point there was only a few laps left and I tried to make the best of them. It does take the greater number of the 10 lap package to start to feel comfortable out there so if you can purchase more laps I would advise it. I am sure most people are like me and never get up to anything close to racing speed (you will likely drive faster on your way home), but the experience of being in the car hearing the engine accelerate out of a curve was worth it and at least makes you think you were going faster than you really are. Just the experience of driving on a track was great. I would do it again now that i know what it is about and would feel much more comfortable out there and hopefully be able to pick up some speed. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to experience racing.
A couple of suggestions for improvement would be that each driver have their own spotter like they do at the larger tracks and allow 3 or 4 "warm-up laps" that do not count against the 10 lap package to get used to the car, and how best to maintain speed.

4 Thank Islandrelaxn
“White knuckle fun”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The Rusty Wallace Racing Experience was an absolute blast and I can not wait to do it again. I signed up and experienced the 3 lap ride along as well as the 5 lap driving experience package. The only thing that cast a shadow on my experience is that I did not decide to purchase additional laps. The instructor was great and everyone made me feel incredibly comfortable. The short track experience felt true to stock car racings roots and was everything I could have hoped for and more. Thank you to everyone at the track for a great day that will be a lifetime memory!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“The Ultimate Racing Experience”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I bought a 10-lap racing package for Columbus Motor Speedway for June 14th. The entire experience was fantastic. From the moment you slide into the car, to the guys strapping you in tight, to firing the engine and laying down 10 thrilling laps of racing, it was exactly what I was hoping for. You are truly strapped in like a race car driver with a fire suit, helmet, hans device, radio communication with a spotter, etc.

10 laps won't be enough next time though. Felt like I didn't push hard enough or long enough, so I'll have to get it right next time.

The people working the event were great. They made it clear safety is number one, but they don't hold you back from getting after it on the racetrack. And I'm really thankful a 6'4" 300 lb man can sit comfortably in the car. Otherwise, I wouldn't be out there.

Jason