“a little piece of Venezuela in downtown Columbus.”

El Arepazo Latin Grill
Ranked #102 of 2,261 Restaurants in Columbus
Cuisines: Venezuelan
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 19 January 2013

This is a hole in the wall. Don't expect a five star dining experience. You order at the counter and the food is delivered to the table. Soft drinks are self serve from the Coke machine. Small tables only, so we had to put two tables together to accommodate our family of five.

The one reason to come here is for the tasty food. We were visiting Columbus overnight for an OSU basketball game. I was happy to have come across this Venezuelan restaurant so that my buckeye wife and my hoosier kids could get a taste of my venezuela roots, and they all enjoyed the arepas, Pabellon (Venezuelan Plate) and the empanadas. The guasacaca was very good.

The staff present during our visit was all mexican but the owner taught them how to do the dishes quite well. Some dishes are not Venezuelan to broaden the range for the less adventurous.

Very good Venezuelan. FYI The Empanadas are HUGE! Normally in Venezuela Empanadas are small and you would eat a few. Not here one will be plenty. ( I am a big eater)

I look forward to my next trip to Ohio as I plan to make El Arepazo one of my standard pit stops.

Te felicito chamo buen trabajo!

1  Thank ANewPlaceEveryTime
There are newer reviews for El Arepazo Latin Grill

Reviewed 13 November 2012

I have yet to be disappointed. I have trouble trying things other than the amazing empanadas, but branch out! Wait time is rarely short, but just try to hit it off-peak and you'll be fine.

1  Thank Jess630
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Never had anything bad or even mediocre. Great food. Great prices. Try anything. You will love it all.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I ordered the Cuban sandwich and a mango drink, my wife had the Venezuelan platter and a different juice. She was quite pleased with her dish. Mine would have been decent if it hadn't been for the absolutely inedible ham (supposedly jamón serrano, but having spent years in Latin America and Spain this is not what I would call jamón serrano). It was impossible to chew and since it was the main ingredient in the sandwich it basically left me with some bread and cheese. When the waitress/hostess came to ask how everything was I was frank and let her know about the ham. She could only muster a sorry and did not offer to do anything about it.

It's really too bad because the ambiance was great and, as my wife assured me, some dishes were good. They just need to fix this dish and, more generally, improve their customer service.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

The food at El Arepazo is wonderful - you can order just about anything on the menu and be certain that the quality will be perfect. That good quality makes the lines long at lunchtime, which is completely understandable. What is not understandable, however, is the amount of time it takes to get food once the order has been placed - I have waited more than 30 minutes on multiple occasions for items that take no more than a few minutes to prepare. Part of the issue seems to be that rather than announcing that they have run out of something, they will continue taking orders and send someone out to buy more ingredients - great for not disappointing people who came for a particular dish, but a challenge when your location means that your customers are mostly people on their lunch hour who have to get back to work. So if you are not on a schedule, by all means, enjoy a meal here - but don't count on ducking in quickly during your lunch break.