“Good hotel”

Residence Inn Columbus Downtown
Ranked #28 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The building, room, breakfast, and location were all good. You can walk to restaurants, the state capitol, the riverfront, and bus stop very easily. Parking for free is an issue; they enforce the meters until 10 pm in the area. The room had a full kitchen and complimentary microwave popcorn. The breakfast buffet was nice enough. The hotel was worth the price we paid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jpap10
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at the Residence Inn Columbus Downtown with us and other travelers. It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed our great location in the heart of it all in addition to our spacious rooms and breakfast. I am glad you were able to explore the area. We look forward to hosting you again.

Best,
Robert Kennedy, GM

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This downtown Columbus hotel is probably one of the most unique Residence Inns I have visited. The old bank look is well preserved with the vault still intact and used as the breakfast area. The lobby is very ornate and looks like the banks of yesteryear when people had to be convinced to take their money from under their mattresses and trust it to a bank. Valet parking is expensive but efficient. The hotel front desk staff is exceptional. Great location for downtown and just a short ride up High Street to OSU. Try the Tip Top restaurant across the street for good bar food.

Room Tip: If you stay on the fifth floor you'll get to see the old steel beams above the main lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Bob,
I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed our unique hotel and convenient location; it’s nice to know you liked the area. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are truly humbled by your recognition and await your return.
Best,
Robert Kennedy, GM

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is in an old bank. And the breakfast is served in the vault! The front desk staff was very friendly. The room was clean and very nicely decorated. My husband and I were there for a romantic evening. We enjoyed a happy hour crawl at the local restaurants and bars. We then walked to the Palace Theatre for a show. We walked back to the hotel stopping for a night-cap. We returned to our spacious room and the next morning we enjoyed breakfast. We would defiantly return. Great location, great hospitality and a fun get-away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara B
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Barbara B,
We appreciate you choosing Residence Inn Columbus Downtown for your romantic evening with your husband, and we thank you for reflecting on your stay. It's wonderful to hear that the level of hospitality and conveniences you experienced made for a fun get away. We hope you'll return for many more visits in the future. Thank you once again for writing!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

OK - When I pay $200/night (actually $199) in Columbus, OH I expect a little more. We stayed Sat/Sun night during OSU's graduation weekend. Curbside valet and the check in process all were fine. The room was fine (more later, including some tips).

The valet car retrieval system is slick, but failed miserably during a "perfect storm" of guests wanting their vehicles all about the same time around 5pm Saturday. I'm not a Rhodes Scholar, but I would think that college graduation and people forking over $200/night would be heading out to dinner with their graduates, right? Instead of texting or using the card reader app on my smart phone I waited 10 min in line to find out that my car would not be available for at least 1/2 hour and probably more. The three valets on duty were simply overwhelmed by at least 50 guests. The downfall was when one of them remarked that five valets had quit the past week (college kids of course). We were forced to spend $50 to take a cab (Uber actually for those who know about it) to make our dinner reservation.

Suggestion for next time? Have the valets suggest street level parking (which is rather abundant) during the day, given their prior experience and at least WARN the guests that peak demand will occur 5-7pm and their car may be delayed. Tell people at check in. It's common sense, right? This wasn't a Holiday Inn Express with free surface parking.

My only other gripe was that I was charged for valet service the other 2 days when I had actually paid out the day rate (less than 10 hours) upon my return Saturday evening. I parked on the street Saturday night, Sunday / Sunday night and Monday until 8am for free. The clerk removed the charge without incident.

Now back to the room - good layout for the 1 Bedroom with separate Living Room/Kitchenette - all 1 Bedrooms end in "02" and are near the elevator facing the rear of the hotel. We were in room 1202 which was above the "garage view" which has been mentioned in other reviews - higher is indeed better. All "01" rooms are 2 Bedroom suites and are probably the nicest with a decent view of the Capitol building at least at the top floors. The remaining rooms numbers are studios - I would suggest asking for a room at the front of the hotel and higher floors, if possible.

Breakfast was actually very good, particularly when there were at least 2 people staffing it; problems occurred when one person left and food / coffee was just not able to be replenished promptly by the one very nice and frazzled woman trying to keep up.

Lastly, a very good location and very walkable as its location is DT. Only 5-10 minutes to OSU by car.

In summary, a good experience overall. Probably best on "non-event" weekends.

Room Tip: 01 rooms are 2 bedroom suites facing front of hotel, 02 rooms are 1 bedroom suites facing rear of ho...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

MarkandBetsy,
Thank you for writing a review. I'm glad you had a good experience overall and I appreciate your suggestions on improving our services. We regret the frustrations you encountered with retrieving your vehicle and I can assure you this has been addressed with the valet company. Guest satisfaction is our highest priority and we hope to have another opportunity to demonstrate just that. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at Residence Inn for two weeks and I enjoyed my stay at first, but I have to agree about a a comment made previously. After my the first week some requests do met with attitude after a while and it's unfortunate, because the rooms and the daily breakfast service is great.

What really got it for me is when I had to pushed my own things on the heavy luggage with my three young children ages 7 and 5 trying to push the cart as well as the evening shift hotel employees.

When I requested the luggage cart it was just left at my room door with not offer of assistance to help load my cart. Service with a smile (sarcasm).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Lawanda H,
We appreciate hearing from you and receiving feedback from your stay. Our highest priority is delivering the quality service and product that our guests have come to expect and deserve. We're sorry for falling short of that goal and we hope you'll give us another opportunity. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here two nights for a conference and was quite pleased. I was in room 1513 and had a terrific view of downtown, with much light from the several windows. The kitchenette was a wonderful convenience. The room was comfortable, quiet, and clean. The hotel itself is close to the trails by the river and to many restaurants downtown. Everyone on the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I'll be staying here again next time I'm in Columbus.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Ohioabroad,
Thank you for reflecting on your recent stay with us at Residence Inn Columbus Downtown. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your room’s view, as well as the friendly service and conveniences offered at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit and thank you again for writing.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We LOVED staying here! The staff was absolutely incredible from valet to front desk (especially front desk-what amazing service!) to bartender... they made our stay so fun and were accommodating beyond belief. We just traveled from SD to Turkey and stopped in Ohio to visit family and what a hugely pleasant surprise Columbus turned out to be. We only stayed a night and we stay in a lot of hotels... This one is by far one of our favorite stays! ♡♡♡♡

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura B

Laura B,
Thank you for choosing Residence Inn Columbus Downtown. We’re happy to have been a part of your travels, and we’re thrilled to know the service and comfort you experienced made this one of your favorite stays. We hope you’ll return for another visit again soon. Thanks again!