“Pens Game”

Ranked #44 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Weirton, West Virginia, United States
“Pens Game”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed 2 days to go see the Penguins play (I'm from Pittsburgh). I used my rewards from IHG, but if I had paid I would say this place is a great value. Staff was very helpful and took give me "directions for an idiot" to everywhere I wanted to go...I appreciated that as I have no sense of direction. If I come back to Columbus to stay downtown I will stay here again. Wi-Fi was great, room was clean, we slept like logs on the bed, and the breakfast was hot. Stayed in a non-smoking room and there was no hint of smoke.

Arena district is just great...note to the city of Pittsburgh...come see it and learn.

Only thing I can see they could improve upon is to let people know what a great value the valet parking is when one checks in. I parked at the public lot and upon check-in was told that valet is cheaper and easier.

Will stay here again...NO DOUBT!!!

Room Tip: All the king rooms looked good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Jason B,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your trip to Columbus for the Penguins game! We love hearing that our staff is helpful and the rooms are clean. I have forwarded your review onto the entire staff. We hope to see you in the arena district again soon!

Crowne Plaza – Downtown Columbus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
New Albany, Ohio
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Our Holiday Gala was a success because of the staff at the Crowne Plaza. They welcomed & made the event so seamless. Food, Facility, staff, but most importantly the warmth we felt during our Gala... Thank you again for making our event FABULOUS for the 5th year in a row... The Central Ohio HFMA Chapter

• Stayed December 2013
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Jeffrey C,

I am beyond thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your Holiday Gala here at the Crowne Plaza! Thank you for your kind words; I have passed this review onto our entire staff. Please visit us again soon!

Crowne Plaza – Downtown Columbus
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We spent 3 days at the Crowne Plaza in Columbus in late November. The hotel is located in the central downtown area and is connected to the convention center by a skybridge. Nice amenity to have when the temperature is 20 degrees. The hotel is clean, the room we stayed in was on the top floor and was spacious, had a very large shower and comfortable bed. As far as this type of hotel goes, it was nice. In my opinion it is not on the same caliber as a Westin or Hyatt Regency, but we enjoyed our stay there anyway because of the great staff at the hotel The Max and Erma's restaurant next door provided our morning breakfast and was a nice amenity to the hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get the executive amenities.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear JimB58,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room and bed. I have forwarded this review onto our front desk staff as well as Max and Erma’s. Please visit us again soon!

Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel while attending an event at the convention center. The hotel, while perhaps needing a little freshening as far as décor, is clean and in a great location. The staff was very nice and responded quickly to concerns. Our coffee pot did not seem to be working and a replacement was brought within a half an hour. The walls are a little thin and we were able to hear our neighbors, but luckily they were not terribly noisy. There is a restaurant just across the driveway from the hotel, Max and Erma's. The food was decent, we ate breakfast there both days and it was fine. We also ate dinner there twice and that was hit or miss, depending on what was ordered. If I was going back there, I think I might find a different place for dinner. There is a walkway from the hotel to the convention center which was great as we didn't have to go outside and therefore did not need our coats. The beds were very comfortable. I would not hesitate to stay at the hotel again if I was in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Bethe55,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. I am happy to hear that the hotel was clean and that the staff was friendly. Please visit us again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I travel for work and stay in many hotels. This is one of the very few I feel strongly enough about to review. This property is high on my list for several reasons. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable. The staff are knowledgeable and helpful. The lobby lounge is cool with decent food offerings. If you want a real meal, Max and Erma's is in the base of the connected building. They even deliver for those who prefer to stay in! The central location in downtown Columbus is perfect! When traveling, I like to get out the hotel and explore. There are plenty of options for explorers like me. The north market is one of my favorites, and is only a short 10 minute walk away!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Rico M,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus! I am beyond happy to hear that our hotel is high on your list. We strive to have clean comfortable rooms, and a knowledgable staff. Thank you for your kind words. We hope to see you soon!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Nice iron for business shirts, good desk. Internet connection is horrible for this kind of chain,not great for doing business work before a presentation. Good staff, clean rooms, nice bed. Great location downtown, easy access to running trails, health clubs, restaurants, and of course the sports and convention center. Great for leisure travel. So so for business.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear John G,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. We pride ourselves on having comfortable, clean rooms and beds, as well as a knowledgeable staff. We have recently just signed a contract with a new internet provider company, and are upgrading our internet next week! We hope to see you again soon!

Crowne Plaza- Downtown Hotel
S Wales
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights for a convention in the adjacent (across the road but connected via sky bridge) Hyatt. Rate was US$158 + ~US$27 of tax.

Hotel was fine but perhaps not as luxurious as I'd normally expect with the Crowne Plaza brand.

Rooms were fine BUT the available electrical socket on the desk was non suitable for those with travel adapters. There is only one on a desk light fitting which is too small for said adapters as the fitting gets in the way. The only other option is grovelling under the desk or another outlet too far away from the desk.

The free wifi was fairly slow - desperately slow at times. Gym was fine but 'compact'. Front desk staff friendly and helpful. Useful little coffee shop in the foyer which does very reasonably priced bagels, etc. for breakfast. Free guest laundry with soap available for $1 at front desk.

The location is good for convention center with covered walkway and it's a short walks to the 'bar zone' on the high street.

Talking of bars, the bar at the connected Lofts Hotel (part of the Crowne Plaza) was decent as far as hotel bars go.

I'd happily recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear drc225,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the bar and front desk staff! Please visit us again soon.