“Very solid convention hotel”

Ranked #40 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
“Very solid convention hotel”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I’m in Columbus at least once a year for a convention and business and have stayed at the Crowne Plaza before. It’s across the street from the convention center so you’re just a short stroll away from the exhibit hall as well as all the bars and restaurants on High street and the arena district. It’s tough to beat its location and the price is typically a bit more reasonable that the Hyatt that’s attached to the convention center.
It’s a very well run, professional hotel, the staff was very accommodating. I needed to call a few times to make some last minute changes/requests for the room and they people I spoke to at the hotel were really helpful. The staff at check-in was supper efficient and had me on my way to my room in just a few moments. We were there for a few days so I had the chance to interact with them again as well as the staff from the club lounge and they were always very accommodating.
The room and all the common areas were in great condition and well maintained and we found everything clean and tidy. The fixtures and furnishings in the rooms had a contemporary feel and everything seemed to be in great shape. The only detraction was that the halls and some of the common areas, especially the carpets felt a bit dated. It looks like it’s been a while since their last refresh and I don’t remember any major changes in all the years I’ve been going there.
I think the fact that it is primarily a convention hotel comes into play here. It’s probably got very consistent bookings and doesn’t need to rely on frequent updates. Don’t get me wrong, everything was really in great shape and we will almost certainly be back here again next year. If you’re in town for a convention or a sporting event this is probably the place for you.

Room Tip: I've slept on a number of floors and have never had any issues with noise from the traffic.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DanHanLan
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear DanHanLan,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. I am happy to hear that the hotel is well run and the staff is accommodating. Thank you for the information in this review.

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Nice, convenient downtown location. Very close to the Nationwide Arena and Huntington Park, home of the MiBL team, the Columbus Clippers. A lot of restaurants are nearby. Valet parking is available. While there is no restaurant on the premises, there is a restaurant next door.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Jadams1016,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. We hope to see you again soon.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We used the Crowne Plaza hotel for our wedding block - our venue was The Bluestone. We had a lot of hotels to choose from for our wedding block, and we originally picked Crowne Plaza because they were the only hotel in that area to offer a private shuttle service. We wanted our guests to be able to take a shuttle from the hotel to the wedding, and back to the hotel (without having long wait times, or other stops along the way). We were able to rent a shuttle for our guests for the length of our wedding, which worked perfectly. Safety first!

In addition to that service, we worked closely with Chad Eberly. He helped us ensure our welcome bags were given to guests on their check-in. Plus, he kept me updated on how many rooms were booked in our block, so I could remind guests to book/meet the deadline. He also worked with me to find a room that would work for me and my bridesmaids Friday night, and be special enough for my husband and I the next night. He actually put us in The Lofts, which are connected to the Crowne. The exposed brick, vaulted ceiling, industrial-style bathroom... everything was amazing, and completely "our taste." We loved it.

Chad was great to work with, kept us updated on how valeting, room block, shuttle service times, etc. would work. I highly recommend this hotel!

PS: Max and Erma's in the hotel was a great place to invite all the guests to come for brunch the morning after!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Courtney T,
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your trip to Columbus. We appreciate all of the feedback and information in your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My partner and I checked in for a Friday to Sunday Ohio State football weekend in October 2013.

We arrived late afternoon taking a taxi in from the airport. We did not use the parking or valet services since we had no car. The driveway access to the hotel is covered with easy entry (no steps) to the lobby. We did not have to wait in line to check in and were able to get in to our room right away.

We booked a king bed standard room. It was clean, comfortable and well furnished. As our visit was to celebrate football weekend, we did a quick change to start our festivities. The coffee shop in the lobby was very convenient and had a decent brew to pep us up before heading out of the hotel.

Taxi's were easy to find waiting out on the side of the hotel. I generally do not think of Columbus as a taxi town, but we had no troubles getting by without a car. I was pleased as we were doing a bit of bar hopping all weekend. Taxi's were also available again Saturday morning, but we opted for the long walk over to campus. We are both distance runners so did not think anything of the long walk. I believe most people would prefer a taxi going over to campus as it is a bit far by foot.

This was my first stay at this property as we had stayed nearby at the Hyatt during prior visits. I am glad we tried the Crowne Plaza. I would have no concerns about staying here again in the future for a visit to Columbus.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff_O-Chicago
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Jeff_O-Chicago,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the coffee shop. We hope to see you again soon. Go Bucks!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel felt a bit dated. It was not bad, but it also was not great. Our room would not stay at a consistent temperature. It was either really hot or really cold, which made it hard for us to sleep. There are other hotels in the area for about the same price that are better options in my opinion.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Warde33,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus and for the information in your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel was in a great location (Arena district and short north). We stayed on the 12th floor (club level) and it was very nice and quiet. Our room was small but nice and comfy. They brought us extra towels quickly. I liked having access to the club lounge and receiving free drinks. We went down and sat at the patio for a few hours just talking. Had delicious pretzels and cheese and amazing Long Islands (highly recommend). We left and went to dinner and a show. Got back to the hotel and the bar was closed already at 1:20 am. Kind of disappointing. We went and got our wine and sat outside til 3:30 (would have been nice if fire out was lit). Only thing is that There was a very loud wedding party on the 12th floor but we couldn't hear them once in our room. Everyone was very nice and I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Ashes33,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus, Ohio. I am happy to hear you enjoyed yourselves and the 12th floor. We hope to see you again soon!

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed downtown on memorial day weekend. Not only was the staff friendly, we were able to check in early after traveling all day. The room was clean and spacious, we had a corner suite with lots of windows, it was a great weekend getway.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Hillary S,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus! Im happy to hear you had a great getaway weekend. We hope to see you again soon.