“Last minute Trip”

Ranked #49 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Blue Springs, Missouri
“Last minute Trip”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had to travel to Columbus to celebrate the life of a close friend who passed away. We booked a suite for 2 nights and arrived late in the evening after a 9 hour drive. With the exception of the traffic issues with the street repairs our stay was very nice. Great bed, quiet evenings, hot shower and adequate Breakfast. The location was perfect for us with stores and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2014
Drew H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Worthington, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I want to thank you for your time commenting on your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you were extremely satisfied with different aspects of your stay. I hope to see again on your next visit to the Columbus area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Indianapolis
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed this past weekend as a short over night on our way to the Akron area. I normally love Homewood Suites as we have had nothing but good experiences when we stay at a location just outside of Toledo, OH. I had a couple of sodas that we brought along with us, so I took them in with us and thought I would put them in the refrigerator. I was shocked to find there was no refrigerator or microwave. I guess I assumed these were standard amenities in all Homewood Suites. Our room was rather small and dimly lit, but clean and comfortable. There was a light over the sink, which was on when we arrived, and I thought that was nice. I don't enjoy walking into a dark room and fumbling around to find light switches. The only problem was we couldn't find the light switch to turn it off when we were ready for bed. My husband tried loosening the bulb to turn it off, but to no avail. Of course I found the switch in the morning hidden behind the hand towels. I know, always the last place to look. One caveat for those over 6ft. tall, you may have to duck walking down the hallway on the second floor. It looks as if they may have recently added a drop ceiling with these very cheap plastic tiles, which did nothing for the asthetics of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Drew H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Worthington, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor. We have three seperate room types and unfortunately the room you chose did not come with a refridgerator and microwave. As far as the ceiling tiles and height, the hallways are normal height and the tiles are brand new. I am so sorry that we fell short of your expectations. Please visit us again on your next trip through the Columbus area and let us make it up to you!!! Thank you again for your comments.
MI
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This place was difficult to find in broad daylight due to all the overhanging trees and small signage. Check-in was quick, they had our group reservation (after prior confusion) correct. The outside door to the hotel rooms was broke, so you could leave, but not come back in. Very inconvenient for bringing in luggage since our room was near that door. The grounds were clean for the most part and we felt safe.

The room was very clean, well kept and nicely decorated. We must've stayed in a renovated room since ours wasn't "old looking" as other reviewers'. It had nice amenities like microwave popcorn, pots, pans, utensils, normal things for an extended stay. We asked for extra towels and got them right away. For an extended stay, it was much smaller than most we've stayed in. There were 4 of us. The couple stayed in the King bedroom, 1 person on the couch, 1 on an inflatable mattress in the "living room". Our room was quite small for 4. The other awkward thing was, to go to the bathroom, you had to walk through their bedroom. A bit "weird" if someone sleeping in the living room had to go in the middle of the night.

My friend made a huge egg casserole in the morning, but had to throw it out due to bad milk. She tried using the garbage disposal, but when she threw all of it in the sink, it didn't work. It was a huge mess and we had to leave for our conference. When we came back, they fixed it and all food was cleaned up.

The bathroom was clean with nice amenities — water pressure was great as you could change the shower head for different pressure settings.

The breakfast area was spacious and the main entrees of breakfast changed each day. One day was strawberries & waffles with link sausage, the other day was biscuits & gravy with sausage patties. They always had a great assortment of breads, yogurts, fresh fruit, pre-made omelettes, cereals, juices, etc. It was a filling balance of proteins and carbs. A nice touch was one of the workers coming to clear your plates constantly for you.

We didn't use the fitness room, but it had a large assortment of hand weights, some treadmills, a bike, elliptical, exercise mats and a yoga ball. It was very clean with lots of towels. We had to go to a separate floor for ice. It would've been nice to have ice machines on every floor. We didn't use the pool, but it looked very clean and kept up.

The entire staff was very pleasant and welcoming. Check-out took over 15 minutes as we wanted to split the payment two ways. We've done this dozens of times at other hotels, with little issue, but she really had a problem figuring it out. She was apologetic and got it all straight.

We're not sure if we'll stay here again because of the small room and bathroom layout, but I'd stay here again on a different occasion for sure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Drew H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Worthington, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
I want to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our location in Worthington, OH. I am extremely pleased to hear that our staff took good care of you and members in your party. We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the very near future.
Phoenix, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2014

One of the outside doors into the hotel broke and remained open for 7 days (until our departure) The hotel is getting pretty long in the tooth and needs some serious maintenance. Staff was very helpful and breakfast and dinner. Dinner was much better than breakfast, which was never very good.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. Our property is 24 years old and is showing maintenance condition issues that are being adressed as we speak. The lock system you are referring to has been ordered, but unfortunately had not arrive prior to your departure. We are also in the process of self evaluating our breakfast offerings. I hope to see you again in the near future on your next visit to the Columbus area.
Lithia, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel had all of the amenities that we needed for our visit and the location was very convenient. I found it to be very clean and a good value. The bed was not as comfortable as I would have liked. It was very "bouncy" and we kept waking each other up in the night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for your valuable time in submitting your comments to Trip Advisor. I am extremely pleased that your found our service staff up to yur expectations. We look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visit to the Columbus area.
Indianapolis, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The showers are terrible. Bad drainage and no water pressure. The beds need to be replaced. The place is old and past due for a major facelift. The Doubletree next door has been fully remodeled and is much nicer.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Drew H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Worthington, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your coments on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, however I can tell you that some renovation is currently taking place with more to come through fall. I hope you give us another try the next time you are in our area.
toledo, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Staff was exceptional Meals were a pleasant surprise Due to circumstances beyond the hotel's control about a booked room not being available, I was upgraded to an executive suite (at no extra cost) Nice apartment! However, the hole in the bath tub ceiling needs to be repaired and the ice machine on the second floor needs to increase its capacity.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and evening reception meals. I appreciate your bringing to my attention the maintenance issues you experience and I can assure you that we strive hard to make sure we catch such items before our guests arrive. Once again thank you for your time and we hope to see you soon!!!