“Mid Ohio Con 2011 Visit”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Pontiac, Michigan
“Mid Ohio Con 2011 Visit”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Overall this was a great stay. I opted for a view of Nationwide Arena & Hunington Park, and it was very nice. The corner room was good for me, but I can see where this style might not work for some.

The upgrades since my 2009 visit were good. A refrigerator in the room was helpful for my dietary needs. The HDTV was nice, but lack of HD programing made it less of a positive impact.

The staff there was very nice and helpful. For some reason the TV didn't have side jacks for my Wii. So I had to keep calling up an Engineer to change the TV to the back jacks. I felt bad calling them up a few times over my stay, but kinda wanted to wind down with my Animal Crossing each day.

The main problem here still is the parking. The parking at the Convention Center is closer, but more expensive over a weekend stay. The Hotel parking is a block walk away, granted it's indoors. But as someone who was staying 3 days this meant bringing all my Convention stuff over, luggage & later on groceries. I wish they somehow had underground parking for the hotel guests.

Room Tip: For a nicer view I went with the Passport option for Nationwide Arena. It was a great look as the s...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Ohio
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Hyatt Regency, with its recently remodeled rooms, is a great place to stay in downtown Columbus. Situated on North High Street, it is within walking distance to all that both the Arena District and the Short North have to offer. The "Big Bar on 2" is a nice place to meet friends and/or have a "night cap." The lobby is spacious and welcoming, and the staff that we encountered was helpful and very pleasant. The rooms are large and comfy with flat screen TVs, and the lighting in the bathroom is much better than in some other hotels that I've recently stayed in. All in all, we had a very nice stay at this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teach2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

It was easy to check in/ check out of the hotel. Staff was pleasant, rooms were clean and decent size. The elevators stop on almost every floor so it takes a while to get down.

Only one issue with the place. We wanted egg and cheese sandwiches on a bagel to go and were told by the restaurant manager to go to the perks coffee stand to get them. When it was our turn to order, the girl did not know what to charge and came back telling us it was $12 a sandwich. A bit much for a simple sandwich. Would recommend going to einsteins (only open during the week thus not an option on the weekend) or north market instead for a reasonable priced and delicious breakfast sandwich.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank mdgirl11
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I stayed here for one night in mid-October, and it was in the perfect location for our event. I have no complaints about the staff or service, it was fabulous. I thought the walls were a little thin.....usually at a higher-end hotel, you don't hear children crying for hours through the walls. (Not exactly what you want to listen to all night when you're runinng a marathon the next day.)

I would stay here again though, and chalk that screaming child incident up as a fluke. The staff did provide ear plugs for me, and would have changed my room had it not been booked!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank GreyhoundGirlie
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Nice hotel, nice rooms, good place to stay, you would think it would have a nicer pool area, it was really dim and looked like it needed work.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Princeton, Indiana
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We recently stayed at the Columbus Hyatt Regency for a conference. Our group of four has traveled together before, and for convenience, we book one room with two double (usually, sometimes queen) beds. Normally we have plenty of space, but this rooms was a bit small to accommodate four adult women. Only two drawers were available, with one drawer occupied by the keyboard that accompanied the television. Shelves in the bathroom and in the initial entry were nice (under the coffeemaker), as were the mirrors. However, the closet was small. Overall, the room we occupied would better accommodate one or two travelers, not four.
Water pressure in the shower was minimal, and we all encountered difficulty turning off the water in the tub (which I should have mentioned to the employees so they could fix it--they may not be aware it needs repair).
The employees were very helpful, especially with giving us directions and suggestions on where to go and how to navigate there. They were always pleasant and cheerful.
While I didn't use the recreation center, one of our group did and said it was fantastic. The pool was small, but it looked very clean and well-maintained.
I do have to admit that this location was noisy. Street noise, which the hotel cannot control, was loud (lots of sirens this last week!), and we heard the elevators rumble....all night long. These things happen in hotels, and I'm not about to give up my elevator ride and climb the stairs with my luggage, but I do wish the elevators were quieter.
Valet parking was very convenient, and the employees helped us with our luggage.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We checked in on a Monday and left on a Thursday morning. I thought this hotel was wonderful. The rooms were updated and clean, and spacious. We chose the option that came with a breakfast, the breakfast buffet was huge and had a lot of variety. I especially liked the omelet made to order station. They also gave us two free drink tickets per night and the bartenders were very personable and prompt. I at my dinners at the hotel, two in the bar, and one night I had room service, All of the food was very good. The hotel left you a Wall Street Journal every morning, so you had something to read at breakfast. When I called for a wake up call, they always asked me if I wanted a follow up call 15 minutes later and if I wanted to order in room breakfast. Overall, the staff was fabulous as was the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business