“Nice hotel, noisy room”

Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Newport News
“Nice hotel, noisy room”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I spent a few days at this Hyatt for a conference. The staff was great, and the hotel was in excellent condition and very clean. The rooms were large with many good features. The location of the hotel is excellent for downtown, including the state house.

But all was not sweetness and light:
1. The first thing I noticed when entering the room (#504) was a roar of what I thought was the A/C. It was not. I tracked it down to one wall and could feel vibrations from the wall. I think it was a major ventilation shaft behind the wall. It was so loud that I could not play the TV at low levels, but is was not so bad to bother my sleep.
2. They had installed a large high definition TV, on which they had inflicted the typical hotel low definition channels. They would have been better keeping a smaller TV until they upgraded the video.
3. I had a maid-in-training one day that did not do a very good job of making the bed or cleaning the room. Of course the hotel took care of this quickly with many apologies.

Even with these minor problems, I think I would still use them again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Badge958
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you for the positive comments about your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Columbus! I apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced while you were our guest. Your comments will be addressed with our Engineering staff to help ensure room #504 exhibits appropriate quiet levels.
I sincerely hope you will again consider Hyatt Regency Columbus for your hotel accommodations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Hotel itself is situated right downtown, a great location to walk to many places. Modern facilities with standard size room. Gym is better than average but pool was out of order when I was there. There is pay parking a couple blocks away without in/out privileges, or you can pay the extra money for valet. Room had nice views of the city and flat screen with swivel. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I'm so happy you had a pleasant stay with us! Please note in addition to Valet parking, and the nearby lot you referenced, there is also covered, secure parking available at the Chestnut Street Garage. It can be accessed via the skywalk which passes over Nationwide Boulevard. The charge is $12.00 per day with in and out privileges, and can be added to your hotel bill. I hope this information helps and that we can be of service the next time you travel to the Columbus area.
Ohio
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed for one evening at this hotel while relocating to the Columbus area. The rooms were very nice and extremely clean, which is a great combination. The hotel is in a great, safe location right downtown and the visit couldn't have been any better!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your positive comments about your recent stay! I hope to be of service if you have friends or family visit you in your new Columbus home. Welcome to the neighborhood!
High Point, NC
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here while in town for the NCAA Tournament games being held up the street. The hotel is very modern, and the room was clean and well-appointed. We slept very well in the bed (at least after the kids in the hallway calmed down). The flat screen TV swiveled all the way around so you could see it in bed, straight on in the two chair sitting area, or over to the desk/bathroom area. There was also a small refrigerator and safe. The internet worked well, but they charge I think $9.95/day for the privilege. I hope you will join me in complaining about this continued practice, because I think it is ridiculous these days. The cheapest motels around have free WIFI anymore.

We didn't eat at the hotel, so can't comment on that. The elevators were a wait, and heard others complaining about that. We valet parked, and those guys were all very nice and were hustling. It costs $23/day, but it's better than the self-parking a block away.

I would definitely stay at the Hyatt again if I am in Columbus in the future.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms near the elevators!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Petty
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for the feedback about your stay during the NCAA games! I am glad you were able to take advantage of the upgrades to our guestrooms.
Your input regarding complimentary Internet is very much appreciated and has been forwarded to Hyatt’s Corporate Office for further consideration. Nominal fees for in-room Internet are consistent throughout the full-service hotel industry (Marriott, Hilton, Westin, Hyatt), and is continually evaluated based on feedback from seasoned travelers like yourself.
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our Valet. Our contracted valet company, Standard Parking, like Hyatt Hotels, prides itself on fast, friendly service. I am glad you had a positive experience with them.
I hope the next time you require accommodations in the Columbus we can again be of service.
chicago
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Although this hotel is connected to the convention center, it is very quiet with freshly decorated rooms. The breakfast buffet is a good value with a tasty selection and quick service. The valet is very fast compared to other hotels with pleasant doormen to ensure your directions are correct. The front desk is friendly and efficient. The bathrooms are spotless. The location is good with handy access to the expressway.

Room Tip: Front desk is very helful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Hyatt Regency Columbus! We strive to provide a flawless stay for each of our guests, and I am happy to see that we succeeded in this instance. I look forward to being of service the next time your travels bring you to the Columbus area.
Baltimore, Ohio
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My husband held his company's Annual Banquet and Meeting here the first week of February. I was totally impressed at our room and the decor. It was amazingly clean and renovations have made this hotel look like a brand new one. We had Julie as our contact and she was there at our beckoned call - no matter what it was. We were treated like we were the only group in the hotel, when there were very large conferences and groups in and out during our whole stay. The food was wonderful and we can honestly say, our whole stay, whether it be meeting rooms, Banquet, lunches, or guest brunches - all was fantastic. I would definetly stay here again.

Room Tip: This is a big hotel that joins to the convention center. This allows for more food availabilities...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Hyatt Regency Columbus! We strive to achieve the best level of service and hospitality possible, and I am pleased we were able to do so throughout your stay. I will pass your wonderful comments about Julie on to her and her direct Supervisor, as it is always nice to know you have made a guest happy. I look forward to having you as our guests at the next company banquet!
Sistersville, West Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is a really nice hotel in the middle of columbus. Close to Short North and Arena districts. Connect to the convention center. Room was nice, clean and comfortable. Staff was quick and helpful. We got a good deal on priceline, but don't forget that parking is $14 per day. Also, the connected parking garage would not let our SUV in the gate (height alarm light went off), so we had to park at Chestnut st garage and wind our way through the skywalks back to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! We acknowledge that parking is a hot commodity in downtown Columbus. I am pleased you were able to find parking at the Chestnut Street Garage. It is a less expensive option, and accessible by our guests through the covered skywalk. I look forward to being of service the next time your find yourself in need of accommodations in the Columbus area.