“Horrible”

Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Horrible”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I used to live in Columbus and recently stayed at this hotel while in town for business. I've stayed hear quite a bit in the past, even for New Years Eve. It didn't appear that my room had been used in quit sometime. The shower head was covered in mold and the iron was covered in a sticky brown substance. Unfortunately, I won't be staying hear again...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize for the housekeeping issues you have brought to my attention, and rest assured am currently addressing them with my staff. I do hope to have another opportunity to provide you with an exceptional stay the next time your travels bring you to the Columbus area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Had the opportunity to stay at the Hyatt in downtown Columbus last week. We were in town for a trade show at the convention center and loved the convenience of being attached. The hotel has recently been renovated and both the common areas and our room were in great shape, attractively and modernly decorated and very clean. We reserved the room through a blind booking website but were very please to ask for, and be given a Respire hypo-allergenic room. According to the Hyatt website, the room is subject to several allergen reducing processes including a stand alone HEPA filter. My partner is fairly sensitive to many household chemicals and had no problems whatsoever in this room.

All of our encounters with the staff were positive, everyone was friendly and helpful.

The hotel has an agreement for parking at a nearby garage for $12 day including in and out privileges which is great. However, DO deal with your belongings at the hotel entrance rather than carrying it to or from the car once parked. It is attached by covered walkways but it's not the friendliest journey, especially if loaded down with luggage.

The hotel is located withing walking distance of lots of great bars and restaurants.

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt Regency and recommend it if your travels take you to downtown Columbus.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am so glad you were able to take advantage of one of our Respire rooms! We feel they help to provide such a great travel experience for our more allergy-sensitive guests. I am also pleased you enjoyed our location! The Arena District provides such great nightlife options. I hope to be of service again the next time you find yourself in the Columbus area.
Harts, wv
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Very clean. Hotel staff was very helpful in all aspects. Breakfast not included, but we went to the buffet and it was delicious. Wait staff was fantastic. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Worth the extra price
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast buffet in Market Stand Cafe. I hope to again be of service when you next find yourself in need of accommodations in the downtown Columbus area.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We returned to the Hyatt Regency Columbus for our annual Midwest Haunters Convention. The Hyatt Regency staff were exceptional to work with. From the moment we arrived, the valet parking attendants greeted us warmly and thanked us for being there. Next the front desk person greeted us with a smile and she quickly checked us in.

Our room was fabulous with a view of the Arena District. The room was updated and very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and neat.

The Big Bar on 2 had decorated the area for our group (haunted attraction owners and actors) which made everyone feel welcomed. The breakfast sandwiches at Perks, on the second floor were really good. We called and placed our order before leaving the room and it was ready when we arrived.

Everyone from the sales staff, to meeting services and general management were great to work with. We're looking forward to returning next year.

There is a food court connected to the hotel and lots of really good restaurants within walking distance.

This is our favorite downtown hotel in Columbus.

Room Tip: The Jr Suites are great for hosting guests or when you need more room for a large family.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your gracious remarks regarding Hyatt Regency Columbus! We love the creativity and outright fun that comes along with your group, and I am glad we were able to once again host your annual conference. Can't wait to see you all again next year for another spooky, good time!
Chicago,IL
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I have been staying at the Hyatt for a yearly convention for a number of years. While the Hyatt is above average in several areas there are some areas that need improvment. I have to say that the desk staff is excellent. However I was really unhappy with the man who called a taxi for me. I was told at the desk that an orange or blue taxi has a flat rate of $15.00 for a ride to the airport. So I requested one of those taxi's and was told that it would be $18.00. The driver told me that he pays the Hyatt staff $2.00 to be called and there is a $1.00 tax. My recommendation would be to walk down to the street and find your own taxi.

While the lobby is clean and nicely decorated, the furniture looks like it was pulled from a dumpster. Springs are broken and fabric is frayed. The furniture in the bar area is in the same condition. The chairs in the dining room are dirty and looked like they haven't been cleaned in years. Thank goodness this doesn't reflect the actual hotel rooms. If it did, I would cancel my reservation and go to one of the several nearby hotels.

I have never found the wait for an elevator to be a problem. If there is a wait, there is another set available.

The rooms with double beds are small. I couldn't imagine more than 2 people in these rooms. The rooms are nicely decorated and very clean. We didn't have any problems adjusting the room temperature. The beds are great. Our room had a small refrigerator and a coffee maker. There is nothing special about the standard bathroom.

The breakfast buffet is outrageously expensive and not worth the money. Ask to see the menu before you go in. There is an Einstein Bagel shop between the hotel and convention center which is open Monday thru Friday. I don't eat lunch or dinner at the hotel because there are so many restaurants within walking distance. If you are at the convention center during lunch and have time the North Market is the place to go where there are plenty of options.

If you really need to be right next to the convention center the Hyatt is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to review Hyatt Regency Columbus! We appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your guestroom and our service.
Thank you, also, for bring the taxi situation to my attention. We have the largest cab queue in the city, there are many different companies to chose from, and we treat each of them in a fair and equitable fashion. However, we do not have an arrangement with any of the cab companies stationed in front of the hotel. I apologize for the miscommunication of a $15 flat rate, as it should have been explained to you as an average amount. We are investigating the cab companies you referenced in your review.
I wanted to let you know that we do have a renovation of our lobby and second floor atrium area including the Big Bar on 2 slated for this year! We are very excited to undergo some lovely, aesthetic changes. If you are interested, the next time you visit feel free to stop by the Executive Office on the third floor so that I can show you some of the wonderful plans we have the the hotel's public areas.
Thank you again for taking the time to let me know about your stay. I hope to have a chance to be of service to you again the next time your travels bring you to the downtown area.
Naples, FL
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We're staying here as we speak & so enjoying this hotel. My husband & I are here for a few days getaway while the kids are at camp.

When I made our reservations, I chose the "automatic upgrade" options for a suite/higher floor/anything available, since it's our anniversary tomorrow & we wanted to treat ourselves. My initial reservation was for a king bed room at the AAA rate, tho I'm a Hyatt Platinum member so get wifi for free, plus late check-out if we needed it. And other cool stuff that's not important right now. ;)

We were upgraded to a Junior Suite (or is it called a Parlor Suite? I'm not sure) - in any case, rooms 541 (the king bed) & 542 (the separate, connecting, "suite", w/ a pullout couch & bathroom). What is very special about this particular space is that room 542 extends into what is basically the size of another small room, an entertainment area w/ a tall dining table & six bar stools. Plus a full-size refrigerator in an alcove. And the hotel could add a roll-away bed.

So we are enjoying - greatly - three large windows overlooking North High Street, the space of three rooms, 2 flat-screen TVs, 2 bathrooms, 1 small frig (included in the king-bedded room), 1 full-size frig, eating space for 6, a living room w/ pull-out couch, and could add a rollaway bed if we needed it - there's plenty of room for it. Wow. It's a fabulous space for families. Though it's making us happy w/ the kids away at camp, too :).

The hotel, of course, is not perfect. I understand another reviewer's complaints about the climate control in the room, which was confusing to me at first, but isn't an insurmountable problem. It's a very enthusiastic air conditioner. Set it high, turn it off if it's too cold, and oh, I wish other hotels had the same problem. I'd rather cuddle up w/ a blanket to sleep than be too hot.

Our biggest bummer about this hotel is that there's no Club Floor or Concierge Club. We stay in Hyatt hotels all the time, and far prefer to have access to those quiet spaces, w/ their generous breakfasts & plentiful evening appetizers. I have no idea why a hotel like this - catering to business travelers, but also rowdy state-wide school competitions/adult gatherings (think hundreds of teenagers/partiers), in a state capitol like Columbus (where, frankly, there aren't any luxury hotels at all. even the Ritz in Cleveland is meh) - does not have an Executive Club/Concierge Club/whatever they want to call it. It is a huge failing in a hotel that wants to be of this caliber. And missing a niche in the whole freakin' state.

Nit-picking, the pool has been closed during our stay, supposedly until tomorrow, which was not disclosed on the website or when I made our reservation. Room service tends to be slow at inexplicable times. The food is either Standard Hyatt Menu (which gets boring fast, and that's no reflection on the Columbus hotel) or a bit spotty. Fun Buffalo Chicken Sliders, interesting Blackened Chicken sandwich, gross cheesecake truffle dessert things. Ick.

OTOH, almost every employee we've encountered has been amazing. Really, Hyatt employees across the board are exemplary. 5-star quality but family-friendly & not stuffy. Four Seasons-ish. Being in Ohio, this hotel has an especially high level of friendliness and helpfulness, while maintaining a professional demeanor.

William, a bellman, has gone above-and-beyond several times and should be recognized for his excellent work (the construction downtown! his patient directions. the large party/parade this weekend! his helpful insights. and several other instances. He has been, for us, the prime representative of this hotel and has done an amazing job at it). Hyatt wants & needs people like him. Ashley at the front desk was sweet & bubbly & informative about local hot-spots. In the coffee shop, room service, housekeeping - almost every person we've encountered has been natural (very Midwest), friendly, but professional, highly competent, and employees Hyatt should be proud of. Very similar in quality to our favorite, the Hyatt at Coconut Point.

Next year, if our kids are at camp the same week again, we would absolutely consider staying here (unlike the Ritz in Cleveland, where we stayed last year while the kids were at camp. not worth a second visit). We'd recommend it to anyone who needs a downtown location, and suggest rooms 541 & 542 to families or people who like space, in particular.

Room Tip: Rooms 541 & 542, which connect, actually have the space of almost 3 rooms. Great for families...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and rooms 541/542 in particular. That suite of rooms does provide a nice living space for guests to relax and feel at home.
I apologize for our lack of a Regency Club. We continue to ascertain if it would be a good fit for our hotel, and comments from Diamond, Platinum (such as yourself) and Gold Members are a great help in coming closer to a decision on the matter.
Thank you for your review of your culinary experience. We have a new menu we have rolled out and appreciate the feedback.
Your compliments regarding our staff are most appreciated. We pride ourselves on providing service that goes above and beyond our guests expectations, and I am so glad to see that we succeeded with your stay. I intend to review your comments about Ashley and William in particular with there division heads and thank you for singling them out with your positive comments.
I hope your kids had fun at camp and would love to have you as our valued guests again next year!
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Cool modern vibe in the middle of downtown. Lots of activity in the hotel. Short walk to resaurants and nightlife. Friendly service at all levels from the staff. Look forward to ext visit.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. We love our location in the vibrant Arena District, and I'm glad you got to experience it.
Can't wait to have you back with us the next time you visit downtown Columbus!