“Good hotel in downtown area”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Dated building, many coats of paint to "refresh", very slow elevators, lots of convention goers, average service, above average front desk people, limited menus. attached to major convention hall and several lunch time dining choices in food court.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank doctorjon
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad to hear we exceeded your expectations with our Front Desk service! Thank you for the feedback regarding the appearance of the hotel. I hope to have you with us again the next time you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Columbus

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here for attendance at a trade meeting at the Columbus Convention Center which is located adjacent to the Hotel and accessible via covered walk ways. The hotel’s central location provides for easy access to the Arena District and Short North.
The room, characterized as a “Panoramic King”, commanded the group rate of $158.00 per night and was located at the end of the building where triangular shaped walls meet; consequently it was quite small and had a tiny bathroom which could only accommodate a walk-in shower. Making the bathroom even more claustrophobic was the fact it had a dropped seven foot ceiling. The room was outfitted with standard fare furnishings including a king bed and flat panel TV.
Complimentary internet service was provided to conference attendees. The rate for unaffiliated guests runs in the range of $10.00 per day. Internet connectivity is slow and the initial online connection required the assistance of a third party service.
The hotel’s dining venue, the Market Stand Café, leaves a lot to be desired. The breakfast buffet experience was marginal. There were numerous staff members on hand, none of whom were of any help. The omelet station was not staffed. I had to go find someone to cook some eggs. Some of the items on the buffet were cold because no one bothered to replace the sternos. The adjacent Perks refreshment venue sells light snacks, hot and cold beverages.
Valet parking is $25.00 per day.
The hotel’s only redeeming factor is the convention center adjacency otherwise seek an alternative venue.

1  Thank NewJerseyMember

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed our close proximity to the Convention Center. I am sorry to hear that you were otherwise not pleased with your accommodations. Thank you for the frank feedback. I hope to have another chance to provide you with a flawless Hyatt stay the next time you are in for a conference.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We booked this hotel blindly through a travel site after a 10-hour drive. They were out of king rooms, so we had two double beds on the 11th floor with a spectacular view of Arena District. We were so beat, we didn't venture out...but know from past visits to Columbus (this was our first stay with Hyatt) that this hotel is ideally located for people visiting Short North, the Arena District or taking in a Blue Jackets game. We went to the Big Bar on 2. Beer selection ho-hum. Three local brews, all pale (no dark or holiday even though it was in November). Bar is not cozy or warm (which we craved on this 20-degree evening)...but more open-air. Nevertheless, it was very busy with people who seemed to be enjoying themselves. We were thrilled to have vegan room service options, not only for coffee (soy milk) for cereal, fruit, etc. Why, other hotels, is it so hard to keep soy or almond milk on hand? There are so many vegan and/or lactose-intolerant people on the planet and it's such a simple thing. Room was immaculately clean. Beds -- and we're very picky here -- were high-end comfortable. When we left, the valet (forget his name, but he's from Cleveland) was exceptionally helpful getting us back to the freeway and moving traffic so we could exit a back way. Like I said, we booked blindly, but would definitely consider booking this hotel specifically next time. High-five, Hyatt.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad we were able to accommodate your vegan needs while you were with us, and that you were pleased with your accommodations. I hope you will come visit us again the next time you are in the city!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I recently stayed here by myself while attending a professional conference and had a pretty good experience. I read some older reviews and it seems like they have done some updating in the recent past. My corner room (with walls of windows) seemed very modern, with a flat screen TV and modern decorations. The room had a musty smell that never went away, but I got used to it after a few minutes and it didn't seem to bother me. The room was small, but for one person, it was fine.

As I was alone with no car, I didn't really venture much into downtown. From what I could tell, there wasn't much to do anyway. The Arena district nearby has restaurants, but there was no movie theater in operation (I think it was being renovated), so I spent a lot of time in my room and ordered room service (pricey as it is in most cases, but good). But, the convenience to the convention center was really good and there was a food court with several options available for lunch only.

A couple of additional plusses: the front desk staff was very nice, taxis were always available and the business center lets you print boarding passes free. The biggest negative was the internet. It was free (another improvement I see) but was hit or miss, especially from the 16th floor. I had to go down to the lobby to have it work consistently.

Overall, a good place if you plan on staying in the hotel or have a car to go places.

1  Thank Garrett S
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed your corner room and found our desk staff to be friendly and accommodation. Thank you for your thorough input, and please come visit us again the next time you are in for a conference!

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

When you get this hotel for under $100/night it's the best in downtown Columbus. We come down from Cleveland 5 times a year for the blue jackets games. The location to the arena district and short north is amazing. The hotel bar and restaurant are both really nice. There is a convention there every weekend year round, which makes it fun! Rooms are large and clean....check in is fast! The views from your room and the restaurants are really nice.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BVHBB
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you have been pleased with your accommodations and our guest amenities so far. I hope we will continue to have you as our valued guests when you are in town for games. Let's Go Jackets!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed here for a meeting (about 800 people). Was greeted at checkin by Andy, who was very friendly and helpful -- advising about points and parking.All the staff I encountered was consistenly pleasant.
My room was a corner room with a panaramic view of the city - beautiful! On the downside, the room was slightly cramped, but well worth the trade-off for the wonderful view.
The hotel adjoins the convention center with skywalks. Parking is valet or less expensive option is self-parking about a block away with skywalks to connect to the hotel. TIP: if you use self park, leave your car in front of the hotel to unload your luggage and then go park it. Although the walk from the self park is inside, you have to negotiate a narrow escalator.

Food, both room service and banquet food, was good enough, but unremarkable.

I wish this hotel had a magnifying mirror in the bathroom so I wouldn't have to guess where my eyeliner is going!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a high floor if you want a great view, but be warned, the room will be some...
1  Thank notravelsurprises
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your thorough review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed your encounters with our staff and enjoyed your view of our beautiful city! I wanted to touch on your expressed need for a magnifying mirror in the room. Please know that we can make magnifying mirrors available to our guests upon request. I hope to have you with us again the next time you are in the area for business.

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

The staff is wonderful. The food is great. The rooms are nice. The amenities are what you want. The location is perfect. It's close to some great stores and restaurants. The meeting space is ideal for events. The only downfalls were the bar and room service stopped at midnight and the temps in the meeting rooms were a little too cold, even after staff adjusted the thermostat.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and our surrounding area. Please consider this your home away from home the next time you visit downtown Columbus!