“Disappointed in the way I was treated!”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Disappointed in the way I was treated!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I called the evening of the date our groups preferred rate would expire but was told it had already expired and that I would have to pay a much higher rate. I was surprised because I thought a published expiration date included that date. I called back the next day and was told no that person was wrong and that the rate did not expire as I was told on the last date the rate was still available yesterday as published. I have run into problems with this hotel before. Most of my twice yearly trips to Columbus for meetings have not be good experiences when staying at or booking with the Hyatt Regency Columbus. Even better....nobody seems to care. Good luck.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize for any confusion you had when reserving your room. I encourage you to contact me directly so that we can discuss specific aspects of your stay. I hope to have another chance to earn your respect for the Hyatt brand, and to provide you with a great stay the next time you return to the area. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed one night for an event held at the Hyatt. I appreciated that I could check in at the kiosk in the lobby and everyone I interacted with was friendly. We had a corner room (triangle in shape and a little tight, but lots of windows throughout, including the bathroom. Room service was good and we appreciated the late check out. It's close location to the Arena district and Short North is a plus. Although we prefer more boutique hotels in the area, the Hyatt is a great option for business or leisure. We would stay again. Only draw back to note is if you valet your vehicle. During peak check out times, the wait can be 45+ minutes! Call ahead to get your car. The in/out privilege was a nice perk though.

Room Tip: Try out the corner room for a wall full of windows.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am pleased to hear that your our kiosk made your check-in experience more pleasurable. It is also great to know that you enjoyed the views of our Panoramic King room and that in-room dining could accommodate you. Your recommendation is very important to us and we hope that you will come and see us again in the future.
WA
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I'm at this hotel for a meeting and it is a pleasant surprise. It is very nice, very comfortable and the features are what I look for in a hotel. The staff has been helpful and I've enjoyed my stay.
I see others claiming it is expensive, but they might want to visit Chicago or DC!

I'd come back.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I'm so glad to hear that we provided you with a pleasurable stay. Thank you for sharing your recommendation on TripAdvisor. I hope to welcome you back soon!
Fostoria, Ohio
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Hyatt is a sound enough hotel. We found the rooms clean and comfortable. I wasn't keen on the bedsheets - they had a paper-like texture. Also, the room was dark, a fact not helped when we found the light switches black on black, making them hard to see in the dim light. The room has a fridge but no microwave.

The real beef we have is with the location and cost of downtown parking. Allow a generous budget for using any of the parking lots in the hotel's vicinity. Finding a vacant spot that isn't reserved is a challenge. Most of the easiest accessible slots are reserved - and notices state unauthorized vehicles will be towed. The location of the parking lots requires a long slog to/from the lot to the hotel, along skywalks and using NARROW escalators. A real trial if you're burdened with cases, etc.

The Ohio state tax and Columbus City hotel tax is also high at 17.5% total.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am glad you had a comfortable stay in your room. I am sorry to hear that you were otherwise not pleased with your parking experience. Thank you for the frank feedback. I hope to have another chance to provide you with a flawless Hyatt stay the next time you are in town.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've stayed here before but this was for the NCAA Fencing Championships (I'm a coach). With a ton of college kids and coaches all related to fencing going on, the hotel staff was fun, accommodated everything I asked about and the property was beautiful. Great location to convention center and downtown and a thoroughly enjoyable stay. I'm coming back again in June for the US National Championships as a competitior. I can't wait.

Room Tip: Just ask...what ever you'd like, just ask and they will do what they can.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your wonderful five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am thrilled to hear that you had an expectional stay and truly enjoyed your time with us. Your recommendation and returned business is the best compliment we can ask for. I look forward to welcoming you back in June.
Cincinnati
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had the opportunity to spend an evening at the Hyatt Regency in Columbus in May. Overall, the hotel provided a very nice experience. It is conveniently located and attached to the convention center. It was clean and staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was well appointed and clean upon arrival. The beds were comfortable. Everything functioned as expected. Check-in and check out were a breeze. I had a room next to the elevator and vending machines - but could not hear them the entire night. While the Market Street restaurant was very good, I'd recommend grabbing lunch at the North Market venue - a farmers type market with fantastic foods, cheeses, desserts, spices and meats.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am happy we could provide you with a wonderful stay and am glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff. I hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to Columbus.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Perhaps I am the guilty of outsized expectations, but the hotel is a Hyatt Regency (which implies a better experience than a standard Hyatt), the hotel is architecturally significant, and the hotel has been recently remodeled. That being said, while there was nothing wrong with the hotel, per se, there really wasn't anything especially good about it either. For example:

The room was small-ish and very much business hotel standard. No big deal, I guess, but to me, standard = average = 3 dots.

The check in was inefficient. I waited for ten minutes while the one clerk dealt with a complex issue for the one guest ahead of me. Ever heard of backup staff?

The reports about slow/insufficient elevators is TRUE. It's a design issue for the property, and the local management is doing what it can by opening access to freight elevators during peak hours (not glamorous, but they get you there). Either Hyatt needs to invest in better lift technology, or just accept that this will be a persistent and fair guest complaint.

The valets were overburdened and have a really tough driveway to deal with. The driveway is quite small for a hotel this size and when they don't staff enough valets (which was the case each morning), the wait can be long. It's a building design issue (note the theme here?) made worse by staffing issues.

Finally, be forewarned. This is a property attached to the mid-sized Columbus convention center. The upside is that you have a short and easy walk to the very nice and hip Short North neighborhood. The downside is that big groups of not-so-experienced travelers can make the stay loud, hectic, and stressful if you prefer a more relaxed environment.

Location is great, the price offered via the website was very good, and the rooms are fine. Like I said, it's an average business hotel, not an exceptional one. If you get a great rate, go for it -- there's nothing really wrong here. if you are looking for a better-than-average experience, stay across the street at the Lofts or wait for the new Le Meridien opening in Short North in January 2015.

Room Tip: Rooms are pretty uniform, but the southwest-facing rooms (even numbers) have a better downtown view...
Green Features: Standard offerings and the usual Hyatt initiatives, which are all industry-standard or better.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Stephen_Stewart, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations of Hyatt. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss any dissatisfaction you had during your stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our proximity to the Short North Arts District. I hope that you might give us another chance in the future to show you that your feedback has been taken to heart as well as the level of service of which we are capable.