“Very disappointed overall.”

Ranked #98 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Ohio
“Very disappointed overall.”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for the 7th or 8th time. It was the worst experience I've had at the hotel, and yet was also the most expensive.

In honor of a special occassion, I decided to book a suite in order to have extra space to host a small gathering. Keep in mind this suite was more than double the standard room rate.

POSITIVES:
I decided to stop by the hotel the day before check-in to verify the suite would meet our needs (mini-fridge, table, seating) and the person at the front desk assured me it would. He also offered that the hotel could provide additional seating or other items as needed. The next day he remembered me when checking in and reminded me to call the front desk if I needed more chairs - very service oriented. I did end up requesting two chairs and extra drinking glasses, which were promptly delivered.

NEGATIVES:
I was a little disappointed, but not entirely surprised, that the suites aren't maintained any better than the standard rooms (despite the premium price). Light bulbs out, bent lamp shades, peeling wall paper, and broken louvers between the bedroom and living area. About 4 hours in advance of the gathering, I placed a room service order for some appetizers. That evening, 15 minutes after the food was supposed to arrive, I received a call wanting to know if I was picking the food up or wanted it delivered. What? Really? After confirming I did indeed want a room service order delivered to my room, I was told it would be right up. After 30 minutes the food arrived. In the end, an order placed hours in advance was 45 minutes late.

The worst part of the experience by far was related to check-out. Earlier in the morning, I called the front desk to inquire on the availability of late check-out. I was told they could give me until 1PM. Great, or so I thought. At 11:30 I came back to the room to discover everything I had left in the room was gone. A maid knocked on the door and escorted me down the hall to a housekeeping closet were my property had been bagged up, including perishable food items from the refrigerator.

Having essentially been kicked out of the room by housekeeping, I decided to proceed to the front desk to explain what had happened. The person at the desk, more concerned with a computer problem he was having than helping a guest, simply said, "Oh, I'm sorry that happened to you" in a very apathetic tone. He then confirmed the credit card my bill would be charged to and checked me out.

I'm not sure if I'm more shocked that I was moved out of a room after being told I could have late check-out, or the fact that the hotel seems to think it wasn't a big deal. The old saying goes you get what you pay for, but apparently the Crowne Plaza has no problem charging a premium price and then delivering subpar service.

After years of loyalty to this hotel, I believe next year I'll be staying at another property.

Room Tip: From my experience, all rooms are basically the same quality level, including suites and the quiet f...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BizPleasureTravel54
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear BizPleasureTravel54,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Lakewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I had a block of 30 rooms for 2 days for a conference. Diana was very efficient to have all of our details taken care before we arrived. Sandy & Loren in Catering, made sure everything ran well & had a great attitude about it. We all were very happy with the guest rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments regarding the staff and your overall experience at the Crowne Plaza Columbus North! I will share your feedback with the staff as I am sure they will appreciate your comments. Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to see you the next time your travels take you back to Columbus!

Steve P
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Nice hotel, as one might expect at a Crowne Plaza; maybe just worn enough to keep it from the top tier. Room was clean and comfortable, and the hotel has a nice bar off the lobby and nice indoor/outdoor pool. It's not far from a lot of other hotels (many of which have seen better days), but sufficiently removed from Dublin-Granville Road to make me feel safe.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jerry G
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza Columbus North on Trip Advisor. Our property and brand goal is to exceed our guests expectations and I am pleased to hear about your wonderful stay. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Columbus.

Steve P
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights for classes held at the hotel. The hotel in general is nice although there are some items that could be addressed with a bit more attention to detail. As an example in my particular room the faucet in the bathtub leaked with a fairly steady stream of water despite my best efforts to shut it off. The vent in the bathroom was also covered with lint, dust, etc. And general items such as carpet stains, a couple marks on wall and bed cover. I never thought it to be a dirty room by any means and had a pleasant stay. But a few extra minutes of touchup in the room would have improved the over all experience.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Randolph, Ohio
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Our VFW and Ladies Auxiliary Conference was booked at this hotel. There were a few hundred attending. We had 12 Hospitality rooms set up on the first floor in the conference room area. Most of the 12 districts had the larger rooms and some were set up in the small guest bedrooms. The smaller rooms were cramped and nowhere to sit.
The Veterans held their meetings in the large room attached to the building. The Ladies Auxiliary had their meetings in the ballroom. Any joint functions were held in the ballroom.
My guest room was a king room with a sofa. The room was clean. Loved the soap in the bathroom. The bed was just ok as far as comfort. The king sheets didn't fit very well. When checking in, which was quick and friendly, we asked for a fridge since the rooms don't come with them. Housekeeping brought one up and set it up for us. The lighted magnifying mirror in the bathroom was a nice touch. The heavy drapes on the window were good for keeping out the cold since the temps were in the single digits all weekend. Only a couple problems: The shower rod was drooping in the middle which made it hard to keep the curtain pulled to the ends of the rod. The other problem: I couldn't lift the drain stopper in the sink to plug the drain. I put a washcloth over the drain when rinsing my contacts. Both problems were turned in at the desk when checking out.
Even though there was food in our 12 hospitality rooms(we provide our own food), a group of us ate in the restaurant one afternoon. Everyone's food was very good. A few of us visited the bar a couple nights and Brian was very friendly and great bartender!
I was at this hotel for 3 nights as were most of the other attendees. With the long hallways, we all got our exercise going from meetings, hospitality rooms, and our guest rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I try to get away every year to celebrate our anniversary. Because of scheduling conflict, this year we did not go far from home. We booked this hotel on Priceline with the name your own price, and are very happy with the value of this hotel at the price we paid. The hotel has been renovated and feels very clean. Everyone was very helpful and did everything they could to make our anniversary stay a memorable one. Some people say that they don't like the fact that the hotel is a little distant from restaurants and shopping, but I like the fact that you feel slightly secluded.

This was our second stay at this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again when we are in the area.

If you like to gamble, the new Hollywood Casino is about 20 min away and is very nice. Shopping at Polaris and Easton are also only a short drive away.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wolffpack14
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Location. That’s the reason I chose this property. There are amenities nearby but the location is certainly a business park. The staff was helpful. My room was nice and, again, older doesn’t mean bad but you will find the updates to be nice but the bones remain the same. Everything was clean and that will always be key. The halls are brightly lit. The pool was very nice as was the spa. The sign outside the baths in the pool area said they are being renovated. That will be nice since they need it. Breakfast in the morning was to be a complementary buffet because of my rewards level. The buffet wasn’t ready at 7:00 (I came in at 7:30) but was allowed to order off the menu. That was fine with me! I enjoyed my stay and have already made reservations to return on my way home.

Room Tip: I had a room on an upper floor and it was wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Holiday Inn Columbus N - I-270 Worthington
#40 of 143 in Columbus
Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington
Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington
Courtyard Columbus Worthington

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington? Share your experiences!