I recently stayed at this hotel for the 7th or 8th time. It was the worst experience I've had at the hotel, and yet was also the most expensive.
In honor of a special occassion, I decided to book a suite in order to have extra space to host a small gathering. Keep in mind this suite was more than double the standard room rate.
I decided to stop by the hotel the day before check-in to verify the suite would meet our needs (mini-fridge, table, seating) and the person at the front desk assured me it would. He also offered that the hotel could provide additional seating or other items as needed. The next day he remembered me when checking in and reminded me to call the front desk if I needed more chairs - very service oriented. I did end up requesting two chairs and extra drinking glasses, which were promptly delivered.
I was a little disappointed, but not entirely surprised, that the suites aren't maintained any better than the standard rooms (despite the premium price). Light bulbs out, bent lamp shades, peeling wall paper, and broken louvers between the bedroom and living area. About 4 hours in advance of the gathering, I placed a room service order for some appetizers. That evening, 15 minutes after the food was supposed to arrive, I received a call wanting to know if I was picking the food up or wanted it delivered. What? Really? After confirming I did indeed want a room service order delivered to my room, I was told it would be right up. After 30 minutes the food arrived. In the end, an order placed hours in advance was 45 minutes late.
The worst part of the experience by far was related to check-out. Earlier in the morning, I called the front desk to inquire on the availability of late check-out. I was told they could give me until 1PM. Great, or so I thought. At 11:30 I came back to the room to discover everything I had left in the room was gone. A maid knocked on the door and escorted me down the hall to a housekeeping closet were my property had been bagged up, including perishable food items from the refrigerator.
Having essentially been kicked out of the room by housekeeping, I decided to proceed to the front desk to explain what had happened. The person at the desk, more concerned with a computer problem he was having than helping a guest, simply said, "Oh, I'm sorry that happened to you" in a very apathetic tone. He then confirmed the credit card my bill would be charged to and checked me out.
I'm not sure if I'm more shocked that I was moved out of a room after being told I could have late check-out, or the fact that the hotel seems to think it wasn't a big deal. The old saying goes you get what you pay for, but apparently the Crowne Plaza has no problem charging a premium price and then delivering subpar service.
After years of loyalty to this hotel, I believe next year I'll be staying at another property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza Columbus North provides all of the amenities needed to ensure that your stay is perfect including more than 60 HDTV channels, wired and wireless high-speed Internet, all new Precor fitness center as well as a 24-hour business center. We are located north of Columbus and complimentary shuttle service is available to any location within a 4 mile radius. We are within a few miles of Polaris Fashion Mall, Easton Town Center and Tuttle Mall. I-71 is easily accessible to visit the Ohio Expo Center & State Fairgrounds (Ohio State Fair) and Columbus Crew Stadium. We are close to The Ohio State University, home of the Buckeyes and the Horseshoe (OSU Football Stadium) as well as the Jerome Schottenstein Center. Additional nearby attractions include golf at Muirfield Village Golf Club, home of the PGA Memorial Golf Tournament, the Columbus Zoo, Franklin Park Conservatory and COSI. With over 20,000 square feet of meeting space, the Crowne Plaza Columbus North can accommodate large groups up to 1,000 people. We'll make your weddings, conference or banquet memorable! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Columbus North Hotel Columbus
- Columbus Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington Ohio