“Not the Crowne quality I've known in the past”

Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington
Ranked #91 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Hamilton, Ohio, United States
“Not the Crowne quality I've known in the past”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I wondered if we were at a Crowne hotel when we arrived and there were only two front desk employees working during the peak check in time. We checked in and were told where to find the elevators but nothing about the facility itself. The bellman was standing inside the lobby area, yet I never saw him offer to assist anyone with their luggage. Guess he was just there for appearance sake.
We stepped off the elevator and were able to locate our room quickly by the pair of discarded socks laying beside the doorway. (They remained there throughout the night despite the fact that the night shift auditor placed the checkout ledger under our door.)
The ceiling in the room had a water drip near the masonry joint and the bathroom door.
The decor appeared to be recently remodeled however it still felt cramped and dated.
We stepped on the elevator to go down to the lobby ( a key card is required to operate). When it arrived at our floor, a maintenance person was on the elevator. I pressed the lobby button and he immediately pulled out his maintenance card, overriding my selection, and took us for a ride to the 7th floor. Hmmm.....doesnt sound like Crowne customer service.
The facility is quite secure....room key required to operate the elvator, signage reminding you not to leave valuables in your car, entrances/exits in the parking lot chained off to the point you wondered what kind of area we were staying in.
We could talk about the dust on the air conditioners in the hallway, the musty smell of the hallway, the wood trim missing from doors, or the potato bug found in the bed in the morning.... but there is only so much to say.
I will admit that the management does ask for the customer to share any concerns with them, but I really feel that if I need to tell you what is in need of attention at your facility, then maybe the management team needs to get out of the office and observe for themselves.
This hotel seems to be a nine story mid range hotel at best.Not the quality nor attention to detail that one would expect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank David W
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Our property and brand goal is to exceed our guest's expectations and I am very sorry as we failed to provide you with the quality stay you deserve. I will certainly review your concerns with the staff and I would love the opportunity to discuss this stay with you further. I can be reached at 614-431-6040.

Steve P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Dayton
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The room was spacious, clean, comfortable. Helpful and friendly staff. Quality food and service in the restaurant. Plenty of food, shopping, and entertainment within a few minutes' drive. Located right next to I-71.

Some tips and observations:
-If you need peace and quiet, bring earplugs and do not get an upper-floor room on the east side of the building (odd-numbered rooms in the tower). Although this provides beautiful sunrise views, it puts you directly above I-71 and a prime nesting spot for Canadian geese. You will hear both of them 24/7. This was not a problem for me, just saying.
-Elevator requires hotel key card activation and moves very quickly. Get your floor # punched in quickly if you want to go there directly. If not, you may ride around some before reaching your floor
-No microwave in the room
-No functioning TV guide channel
-The flow could be improved for the omelet & waffle line at breakfast. They were delicious, but cooking food to-order takes time. If you don't want to wait in line, please eat something else. Don't have family or friends stand there for you. It's not cool when there's one person in front of you in line and you find they're ordering omelets for 3 or 4 people.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I truly appreciate your wonderful comments regarding the hotel and our staff! I will certainly share all of your thoughts with the staff and use them to improve the service that we provide. Thank you for being our guest!

Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here several times now and the staff is excellent and friendly. The rooms are modern and immaculate. One of the best hotels in Columbus, especially if you have business on the north side of town. Would recommend this location to families as well since the pool area looks nice.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Kentucky
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I will give this four stars because the potential was there. Purchased it on priceline for $70. Had a couple of issues, but had two rooms and one didn't have any problems in one of them, so I assume it was just an isolated issue in one of our rooms. It was an older, but updated property, so the rooms are the basic variety that you are going to find in places built during the time this one was. Sink areas were inside the bathroom, which newer places have quit putting them there. This is no fault to this Crowne Plaza, it's just the way they were designed back then. I didnt like how this property didn't have a fridge and microwave in the room. It's 2014 and hotels of this quality should include them in all rooms. What I liked-----Beds were very comfortable, Key access required to move anywhere beyond the first floor, which is a good safety feature. Pool areas was nice. Nice lobby.
Had a couple of problems in one of the rooms. Air unit kept shutting off. Had it turned all the way down, yet it wouldn't cool the room. Tub drained really slow. I would stay again for the price I stayed, but wouldn't pay base rate. If I'm going to pay $100 plus for a room I'm going to get a couch, fridge and free breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Wilcox29,

Thank you for your review. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. I’m happy to hear you found the beds comfortable. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. We don't want any guest inconvenienced and rest assured that your comments will be used for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope that you would consider us again on your next travel.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

You can tell this property is old! They've done some renovating and updated decor but the cracks in the walls and ceilings, old phones and ac units, no fridge in rooms, creaking busted looking elevators, etc. They're trying too hard. Plus it's in a desolate, industrial part of town that lacks appeal. If I weren't here on business (with a conference in the hotel) I would leave and find a new hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wilcox29
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Wilcox29,

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Irvine, California
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I decided to get away for a staycation during Valentine's weekend. I found this one last minute. It was snowing pretty heavily when we arrived and there was a bellhop (I guess) just standing there watching us trying to get luggage in and me trying not to fall in heels in the snow. I really don't know what his purpose was because he was standing there like he was a Walmart greeter. The room and bathroom were very clean and comfy. We did enjoy the indoor pool, which was supposed to be heated but didn't feel that way. We had to brave the cool water and opted for the spa after a while. The breakfast was just ok.

Overall I was satisfied with our stay. It was an average hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara J
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness and comfort of the guest rooms. Your feedback regarding the bellman is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our product and services.
Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Columbus.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We reserved this hotel on priceline. We were able to get a price of $60/night. For that price, this hotel is absolutely worth it. I would pay up to about $125 or so before I feel this hotel would reach past it's value.

It's older, but nicely remodeled.

It sits back off a beaten path in a business park - area. While it sits very close to 71, it feels a bit out of the way.

The parking lot has been fairly full several times that I have been here except on a sunday night.

Upon entering, you are met my a bellhop who has always been very pleasant. Contemporary decor, and a conference hotel feel, as they do host different types of meetings and events here.

Professional, helpful friendly staff.

I cannot complain about our room. Updated decor and remodeled. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Seemed fairly clean. Room comes with desk and chair or desk and sofa.

Bathroom lovers beware. Bathrooms are nicely updated, but old and pretty small.

Food is really, really good. It's pricey for room service, but where isn't? You really get your money's worth because they give you a lot. We had turkey clubs, fries, wings and pizza during our stays. Everything was awesome! Breakfast is pretty good, not out of this world. But good for $12 or so.

We were greeted with a USA Today newspaper in the morning.

I would definitely stay here versus a regular 2 or 3 star hotel. This place isn't a 4 or 5, but very deserving of their 3.5 stars. You get the feeling of a little bit of luxury for your price.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank blt3116
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Holiday Inn Columbus N - I-270 Worthington
Comfort Inn North
Comfort Inn North
#76 of 143 in Columbus
Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington? Share your experiences!