“Nice hotel with a few minor annoyances” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington

Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington
Ranked #91 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Medina, Ohio
“Nice hotel with a few minor annoyances”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel looks "old" from the outside. It's also in a rogher area of the City - one exit South of 270 where it was once "the area" to be in....back in 1988. Inside? It's been updated and is in good repair. The lobby is nice and clean. The rooms have been updated, but you can tell it's an older hotel - bathroom is small and cramped, as an example. Still, it's clean and updated, though. The gym is very nice for a hotel gym. Lots of cardio choices; weight machines and then even free weights. Very nice option to have in a hotel. I decided to eat at the bar that evening. Bryan took excellent care of me - his service was excellent; almost as good as the food, frankly. Very nice surprise for a hotel meal.

The negative? Wifi is not free. What? That's ridiculous in this day in age. That sort of nickle and diming is what drives people away. The elevator would not stop on the second floor. Seems odd, but if you faced the elevators, the one on the right would not stop on floor two. There is no bfast served in the morning. The offering they have was expensive and I skipped it. Perhaps it would have been as good as dinner, but the price point was too high to chance it for me.

I got the hotel on Priceline for about 65% of what they wanted on their website. So, a good value at that price; however, if you add in wifi and bfast, it's not a value at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT face the highway. Otherwise, you will hear it unless you run the fan i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus North. I really appreciate your personal acknowledgement of Brian as he has been a very valued team member for over 10 years. He was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and his service!
We do offer free WIFI to all IHG Reward members which is a free stay program and we would be delighted to sign you up the next time you find yourself in Columbus.
Thank you for being our guest!
Steve P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
CLeveland, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The lobby and the staff of this crowne plaza is nice but, after spending 2 nights here on business you quickly become disappointed. First, there were multiple hairs in one of the double beds. We called the front desk immediately and they very efficiently changed the bedding on both of the double beds. We also noticed bed bug Protection bags on the mattresses though I never saw any in the room. Then the water in the shower did not drain and I found myself standing in water. Overall, the room is your standard room with a coffee maker but no fridge or microwave. The air condition /TV/ phone all worked without any problems. There is just a worn feeling to this hotel even though areas/room has been renovated. Staff were very friendly and eager to please.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is your 100% satisfaction and I am sorry we failed to provide you with the quality stay you deserve. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you and I can be reached at 614-431-6040.

Hilton Head
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We booked this hotel Asa st over en route from Minneapolis to DC. I used Hotwire and got a good price. Hotel is quite difficult to find coming from west.
Front desk people were pleasant.
I was disappointed to find there no breakfast , which I realize is normal in more expensive hotels.i am not sure why!
The biggest insult is that there is no free WiFi I the room. This incredible idiosyncrasy is very annoying. The desk clerk generously took pity on me and gave me a free login... Normally $8/day.
Why in this world where there is free wifi everywhere this nickel and dimming goes on in mid and upper grade hotels is beyond my imagination.
Room was adequate, although a little small and bathroom very cramped.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. We greatly appreciate the feedback in this review and we will discuss your concerns in hopes of improving our future guest experiences. Thank you for being our guest!

streetsboro, ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My family just stayed at this hotel during the Ohio State Fair weekend. The whole reason why I chose this hotel was because it includes complimentary shuttle service anywhere within 10 miles of the hotel. We were greeted by the wonderful staff right away. We were also granted early check in. We explained to the front desk that we would be in need of shuttle service and was told to come back to the lobby in 45 minutes for pick up. Well.. about an hour later still no shuttle. My husband went back to the front desk and was told it would be another 45 minutes! Nobody informed us of the delay. Our 2 year old son was getting restless waiting, and other guests in the lobby were rolling their eyes at us because they were trying to sleep in the lobby?! Irritated that the staff never kept lines of communication open we chose to drive to the fair ourselves and pay for parking :(. Breakfast is not included. Wi-Fi also is not included. You can get room service with a $2 fee plus automatic 20% gratuity. There is a Tim Horton less than a mile away. That Is Where we ended up Because I refuse to spend $25 on breakfast at a hotel. The rooms seemed clean, although I did notice the black mold above the shower like other reviewers. In closing. .. I think that all the extra fees with no extra perks would make me not return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BIGcheeze
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am truly sorry for the issues you experienced with the shuttle. I will share your concerns with the team and all the issues will be addressed by the appropriate departments. We greatly appreciate the feedback.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The 3+ star rating is accurate if you dont stay the night. The meeting areas and foyers are very nice. The staff are friendly and helpful.
The rooms are dated; clean, but need a little work. During our three night stay our room was never cleaned. We were gone the majority of both days to return around 5 to find our room had't been cleaned. We took our own trash out an requested fresh towels from the cleaning lady. Seems to me guest rooms with multiple night stays should be attended to first followed by the vacated ones.
Hotel is in an idustrial area, but isn't a bad location. A short drive to anywhere. We had a large group on our floor two nights in a row that were very noisy; slamming doors and being loud near midnight, so hallway soundproofing is minimal.
The pool area is nice, but could use a little more maintenance attention. Found bandaids floating in bottom of pool one day - GROSS. Outdoor portion of pool was scummy.
We are normally a family who is fairly easy to please, but I would pay more for a lower star rating place if were to do over. Wifi is $9 per 24 hour period as well. Most hotels have this as a free accommodation now.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Adam D,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ironton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked this hotel via a hotwire gamble for the cheaper rate. Turned out to be a great deal. This place was very nice. The staff was very friendly, they all spoke to us and made us feel welcome. We enjoyed the pool, which was a outside-indoor pool with the inside being heated. Everything seemed very clean. The negatives that I would have for the Plaza is that the beds seemed to be older beds and were sagging in the middle. The only other thing was that I could hear the highway at night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about the staff and hotel. I will share your comments with the staff and we thank you for being our guest! I apologize for the issue with your mattress. All of our mattresses have recently all been replaced but I make sure our Housekeeping staff is notified.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Greensburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Decided last minute to head to Columbus the night before our trip to save the early morning 3.5 hour drive. I booked this through Hotwire and was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice hotel that, as stated is in an industrial park and right off of the Interstate 71. It is very close to the Polaris Pkwy (just a small jaunt up 71) and the outerbelt (270). I found the area easy to navigate even though we were tucked into the industrial park.

Their was plenty of parking and the lot was fairly well lit. The main entrance was closed during our stay, but it appeared it was being worked on and there were signs indicating how to get into the building.

Though the building is probably a little bit older, I did think that it was very nice. The lobby was clean and modern looking. We got in late so we didn't spend much time there, but it looked nice.

The service/check in was easy and lady was very pleasant. I'm usually worried when I book last minute on a travel site that my reservation would not go through, but I had no issues. For the price I paid which was around $70 (before tax), I thought that the hotel was very nice and worth my money.

Our room was nice and clean. We were on the highway side so it was a little noisy, but both my wife and I were tired and didn't hear the traffic going by until the alarm clock went off. The bathroom was small-ish but clean. I stand 6'1" and found that the shower head was a wee short for someone of my height. There was some semi-obvious work that had been done to the ceiling (different colored areas), but to be honest...I was there for one night and I don't pay attention to bathroom ceilings all that much. The air conditioner/heater seemed to be up to date and didn't look very old. The bed was comfortable and we both slept well. The room also had a sitting chair and a desk w/chair, dresser and a tv.

If my wife and I plan a Columbus trip (ie. Columbus Zoo and Jenis Ice Cream) I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Dear Valued Guest,
I truly appreciate your recent review and your wonderful comments regarding the Crowne Plaza Columbus North. I will be sharing your review with our department heads at our weekly staff meeting as I do with all reviews. Thank you for being our guest and I hope to see you again the next time your travels take you back to Columbus!