“Alright, but a few issues”

Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square
Ranked #63 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Seattle, Washington
“Alright, but a few issues”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Overall, the room was nice and the service was good enough. The hotel is in what could be a good location, but it seems that virtually everything closes early. I couldn't find a place to eat outside of the hotel that was open after 8pm within walking distance of the hotel. This may be a function of Columbus as much as this hotel, but I picked a central, downtown hotel because I could walk to things. I just didn't expect everything to be closed.

When checkin in I was given a coupon for a discount for food which was nice. I tried to use it for breakfast since I had to leave early for work in the area. There were two couples already eating when I came down, but I couldn't find any employees in the restaurant. I waited for a bit at the "please wait to be seated" sign, and then just wandered the fairly small restaurant to see if I could find someone. Nope. No one. After a few more minutes I gave up and ate on the road. This reduced the value of the coupons fairly substantially in my mind and, sadly, my overall experience with them.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Rooms were clean. Had breakfast buffet in the am, was your normal breakfast, good but simple. Walking distance to the park in downtown columbus. Pool in hotel was clean. Good parking. Hotel was clean. Housekeepers and front desk staff were friendly.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I read the reviews....old but clean...paper thin walls....grumpy people....but our CLC rate of 50 bucks drop me there. All of the above is true.......I got a call in my room at 11:30 pm because when I checked in they didn't take a card number from me. Our CLC card pays for the room but not food,beer,movies etc... Do you have to call a guy at 11:30 and wake him up??? I don't know that I would ever stay again. I am a light sleeper and was woke up by many sounds including someone fooling around next door....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
ohio
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We were in Columbus for an educational conference....we booked at the last minute so we we a little off the beaten path but the hotel was great...I so enjoyed the pool at the end of the day...the ease for our group to meet in the lobby and do plan Ning...nice place!

• Stayed August 2011
Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed there when we visited for a Blue Jackets / Red Wings game. It is a basic hotel at a decent price, which was clean and had good service. Not a luxurious hotel, but was a decent place to stay downtown. The location was about a mile or so from the hockey arena and we wound up walking back after the game. The hotel bar is nice and the bartender was very personable and gave some great advice on area restaurants.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I dont understand why people are posting poor reviews of this hotel, I stayed here the last week of July and had an EXCELLENT stay. If you ask questions to the staff they are more than willing to go out if their way to help you.
The people that work in the mornings generally seem overwhelmed, but the evening staff is excellent, always going above and beyond what I would expect for a holiday inn.
Only complaint I have would be, wish they had flat screen tvs in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2011
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I can just sum it all up by saying that we were told that a HOLD of $221 would be placed on out credit card to be released when we checked out. I get home and check our account online and find that they actually held $965 which caused us to overdraft. When we called them to work it out their response was, "Sorry you were told that....you will get your money in 7-10 business days". WHAT? So what are we supposed to do in the meantime? Keep over-drafting? Our bank worked it out eventually but it was such a hassle. Hotel was NO help. We will never stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business