“Attracts riff-raff”

Ranked #61 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Attracts riff-raff”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Don't know why, but this hotel seems to attract a high number of unfavorable guests. Every time I left the room, I was treated to shirtless beer bellies or scantily clad cougars retrieving ice or buying cokes at the vending machine outside my room.
Our room was very large due to its proximity to the elevators, perhaps, so large it was awkward to watch the tv which seemed too far away from the sofa or the bed.
The bathroom is ridiculously cramped, you can barely open the door when you're inside it without stubbing your toe.
On the bright side, I love the brand shampoo and lotion they provide. The desk staff was friendly and efficient.
Least liked. The $10 per day parking and the poor quality food in the restaurant. I was feeling ill and didn't want to go out, but I would have been better off with a styrofoam cup of ramen.

• Stayed September 2013
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Janick2010,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your comments regarding our hotel. We do apologize about quality of service you received during your stay with us. We take great pride in all areas of our hotel and once again apologize that the facility did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any other questions or concerns.

Business Development Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Bardstown, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The service by the staff was fantastic! I was impressed at the quality of service the staff saw that everyone received! As part of a large group staying at the hotel, I was always amazed at the quality of service and the preparedness of the staff to make sure we were well cared for during our stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
GemDandies,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. We really appreciate it. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the quality of service was to your liking. Please allow us to host you on your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We need a place to stay that was close to Nationwide Children's Hospital. The Hospital recommended the Holiday Inn as it was only a mile from the Hospital. I was a little worried about booking a room here with the different types of reviews that I had read. We got to the Hotel around 9:30 on a Wednesday night and were very well taken care of. The entrance area was nice and up to date and CLEAN. We got to our room and the first thing I did was check everything out. I look at the wall paper, the ceiling, the bathroom and all the other things people had complained about. Our room was spotless and had none of the issues that people have complained about. The Cleaning staff took care of us each morning and the staff was wonderful to deal with. We took a swim in the pool while we were there and it was refreshing also. If we ever have to come back to Children's Hospital this is the place we will stay at.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dieselguy8599
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dieselguy8599,

Thank you so much for staying with Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown and for your very nice comments about our hotel. We take great pride in the upkeep of our facility and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Feel free to stop by whenever you make your way back to Columbus, Ohio.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before I was disappointed to see it having deteriorated as it has. My toilet was blocked and took ages to drain. A colleague found the bedside clock plugged into an extension chord on the floor and when she plugged it into the correct receptacle next to the bed it shorted out the room. Clearly a safety issue there, which the front desk knew about when she reported it. Another guest checking out the same time I did was irate the drain blockages in the bathroom he had reported during his stay had not been resolved. This place needs some serious maintenance and I'd stay away until it's done.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelNutFromPA
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
TravelNutfromPA,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your comments regarding our facility. I am very sorry about the maintenance issues you endured during your stay here. We take great pride in the work that we put into our facility and apologize that our property did not meet your standards during your last visit. I have documented your concerns and forwarded them to the appropriate departments for their review and evaluation. If you have any further comments or concerns, feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you once again for staying with us.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here during the Boom and couldn’t have chosen a better property! The lady that checked me in was fabulous and friendly. My room was large and spacious. I didn’t get to use the swimming pool or try out the restaurants, but everything looked great! Nice place to stay especially if you wanna be near downtown!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Amberlee,

Thank you so much for staying with Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself during Red, White and BOOM. Hopefully, the next time you stay with us, you will be able to enjoy our pool and restaurant. Thank you once again for your stay and for your comments.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The reason I give this a poor rating is quite simple. If you are going to charge a higher rate than other hotels because of your location, then you better have every single room stacked with amenities so your patrons don't end up feeling cheated.

The hotel was clean and the staff was courteous, but the carpet, wallpapers, and narrow hallway gives the hotel an outdated feel.

Our king size bed room had no refrigerator, no microwave, and only one small dresser with three doors. In an era when chain franchises have the immense buying power to purchase in mass bulk, there is no good reason for those items not to be in every single room, especially when many less popular chains have made it a point to install these as a standard. Was also not thrilled that the so called secured parking lot was left unsecured all night.

Our stay was by no means horrible, but for the price, Holiday Inn should be able to do a lot better than this.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

wraithleaderx,

Thank you so much for your comments and for staying with us. I appreciate the diligence and detail in your response of our hotel. I do apologize that our amenities did not live up to your expectations. We try to strive for the highest of standards in our rooms and we always strive to make all of our guests happy with their stay. If you would like to speak further about your issues during your stay, please do not hesitate to call me directly at the hotel. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience but we do appreciate your stay.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Good: Good internet connection, clean and nice social/open spaces, secured parking lot (albeit right next to the downtown Greyhound station), excellent front desk manager, Cindy.

Bad: Quite a bit. First, I booked on hotels.com that charged 123.17 for the room and a 15 service fee. The hotel, upon check-in, also ran my credit card for the same amount. Where would I spend 123.17 in incidentals? I was only there for one night. So it is now a hassle. The main thing though was upon checking in, the lady in front of me was told she had a rate of 50.00. She was a greyhound passenger and I guess they have special rates contracted out to Greyhound. Either way the front desk girl should have not stated this in front of others who paid more than double that amount. Names/room prices/numbers...this is all information that should not be blurted out.

The AC....not sure what that is about but in room 516, no matter what you did the AC would turn on, then off, then on, then off. It was set to 66 which was ok but then because it kept going on then off I moved it to 69 at which time it kept doing the same thing. I finally just turned it off.

The room that I paid twice as much for was, according to the front desk girl, the best king in the house. Um, it was a King room directly across from the elevator. The floor was filled with families and kids. The kids were screaming up and down the halls, in front of the elevators which means in front of the room I was trying to sleep in. People were on their cell phones waiting for the elevator to arrive which I could hear their conversations crystal clear. This began at 7am and lasted until 9:30 am when I gave up on trying to sleep. The front desk mod was great. She said there was no reason to put me in that room as it was only 75% occupancy that night. The bottom line is that if you are put in a room on a floor with the last two numbers 16 or anywhere near it, make sure to move rooms.

I ate breakfast in the hotel which wasn't good but on par with breakfast buffets at mid-scale chain hotels.

The location is not the best as it is in the middle of downtown and there were quite a few characters around the bus station across the street.

I will not return to this hotel although I get to Columbus often. Try the Hyatt Regency Convention Center or the Hampton Inn downtown if you want to stay in the downtown area.

I am still trying to get in contact with the GM, Tyson, regarding the pending room charge on my credit card. 123.17 placed on hold for incidentals for one night? Something is not right here but unfortunately he has been unavailable due to meetings.

Room Tip: Do not allow yourself to be put in a room across from the elevator. I have traveled enough to know t...