“Decent hotel but great value”

Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square
Ranked #58 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here recently, and what I will say is that this is a very dated hotel that has been updated as much as possible without a total gutting. But you do get the feeling that you are in an older hotel. Our room was large, but the bathroom was quite small.

The cosmetic efforts are not all for naught. It's just that they don't fool anyone. The location is good, just a couple of blocks from the state capitol. I wasn't at all impressed with the three restaurant choices that I was told were nearby, but the "Short North" district is a half-mile or so away with lots of dining choices.

When shopping for a room I considered Hilton and Marriott, and the ones downtown are likely a cut above this one. But you have to pay! For example, on the night we stayed the only other reasonable hotel was the Courtyard, about a half-mile to the south. It was $149 per night plus $23 for parking. The Holiday Inn was $129 plus $10 for parking. I suspect the Courtyard is a little bit better, but for me I didn't think it was worth the extra money. The Courtyard was the cheapest of the other options.

I booked this hotel with the IHG app on my phone, and was given the option to pay with 15,000 points instead of cash. I chose that option as it was a great deal. And overall that is what I would say about this hotel. There are better hotels out there, but this one is a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Staff was amazing, check in, helping me get coffee, check out, they were great!!!! The room was a standard room nothing too exciting but very clean.

Even ran into housekeeping and food service staff that were super nice and cheerful, one was setting up for an employee lunch and commented how great the hotel was to the employees. It shows everyone was very pleasant!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here for the Columbus Open Chess Tournament over the weekend and the entire hotel was booked up for the weekend (and longer) due to some other conferences going on at the same time. However, the staff was all very friendly, especially those working at the front desk. Room was extremely quiet (we were at the end of the hall, which I highly recommend). My only room complaint is that the bathrooms are very small, but we survived. Also, despite being an IHG Rewards Club member (which features a late checkout opportunity), this hotel didn't honor our late check out request (probably due to the fact that the hotel was booked up.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the end of the hall!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for Pride Weekend 2014. The amazing staff made up for the mediocore room and facilites. The location is good, but the complimentary shuttle made it even more convenient. Not every floor has an ice machine and that was a little inconvenient. I felt a little ripped off being charged $10 a night to park...the gates were up the entire weekend, so I'm assuming others could come and go as they pleased without paying the parking fee. I did have breakfast on Sunday morning of my stay. Typical, not so great, breakfast buffett...the biscuits were in the same serving dish as the french toast, which gave them a sweet flavor...not my favorite.

Would I stay here again? Mmmm, not sure...although the really friendly and helpful staff may sway my decision.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear bearclaw6672,

Thank you so much for your feedback. While we are pleased to read that you liked our location, free shuttle, and friendly service. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you may have encountered with the breakfast and ice machine. I hope this incident will not deter from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Charisse V
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for one night whilst touring the US on business. A fairly typical Holiday Inn experience but that is just what I wanted so no problem. The check-in staff were particularly friendly. Although car parking is supposed to be $10 the barriers were up when I arrived and left!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is in need of updating but it has everything you need. The hotel was very clean and our room was also clean. The air conditioner was a little noisy but I like a little white noise so it didn't bother me. We stayed there because we had theater tickets for the Ohio theater and the location was great. It was just a very short walk to restaurants and the theater. I also liked the fact that this hotel had a bar (no food after 10:00) for a drink before retiring for the evening. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had breakfast in their restaurant the next morning......they have a breakfast buffet and menu......everything was very good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear joyfuldog,

Thank you for writing a candid review about your recent stay with us. It’s great to know that our you liked the cleanliness of our hotel and that our location and amenities were convenient for your travel needs. I appreciate the kind words about our friendly staff.

As one of our valued guests, we thank you for all your feedback as this helps us continue to provide superior quality and service, and we welcome any opportunity to improve. We look forward to hosting you again when you return to Columbus.

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Heather at the front desk was great. She got us into our room early and we asked for an extra blanket and it was delivered immediately. Room was clean. Breakfast buffet was good. The only negative was the slow tub drain.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends