“Has Never Failed to Depress”

Columbus Airport Marriott
Ranked #25 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
KY
“Has Never Failed to Depress”
Reviewed 3 August 2006

I have stayed in this hotel twice for business, most recently in April 2006. The entire place is very blah, very depressing. The layout is so poor that it is a long long walk from the lobby to the rooms, and back again for the conference rooms. Business service is really terrible - both stays, my meeting moved rooms every day, with poor signage and no notice. We were yelled at one day by hotel staff for eating the wrong breakfast, which was outside the meeting room we'd been in the previous day! Speaking of, food was typical hotel bad.

Cellphone service DOES NOT EXIST in this hotel - everybody has to go outside. It's kind of funny, actually, to see 30 sweaty businessmen standing outside, sweating, just to get reception. The workout facilities are not great, and are in full view of everybody in the pool area. The only real positives of this hotel are proximity to Easton shopping center (1 exit away), easy access from the freeway, and consistently good wireless internet.

• Liked — Good wireless internet
  • Disliked — No cell phone reception inside
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't miss Easton! - only 1 exit away!
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ennove29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 July 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Columbus Airport Marriott recently because our flight arrived into Columbus after midnight. From the time we arrived at the hotel at 1:00 a.m., every interaction we had with staff (check-in, room service call, room service delivery, check-out, etc.) was perfect, as if they were actors in a Marriott corporate customer service training video. The staff and service at this property are consistant with what we would expect at a luxury hotel and we were pleasantly surprised to find it at an airport hotel! The room was clean and we did not experience any challenges or disappointments during our short stay.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toledo
Reviewed 22 April 2006

I was here for three days for a conference in April 06. Even though I have attended meetings there before, this was my first time as an overnight guest.

The staff was wonderfully courteous - an A+.

Like other Marriott properties, this one is comfortable and attractive with very comfortable rooms. I have to give the Marriott and Renaissance chains' beds a special mention. They are fabulous. If you are considering other hotels in the same price range and the quality of the bed is important to you, choose the Marriott / Renaissance.

In terms of this property, it is close to the Columbus Airport (as the name suggests) and is primarily for business travel. Between these two facts, there isn't much to see outside within walking distance. Therefore, if you do not have a car with you, be prepared to be limited in surrounding attractions - other hotels, a business park. a Waffe House, a TCBY Yogurt, and a MacDonalds - all with limited sidewalks ... and I mean limited as in none in many places.

In terms of conference facilities - it is adequate - certainly not the best. However, given the location, perhaps these facilities are good enough.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank psu0904
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2005

The lobby is the ONLY nice part of this hotel.

My husband and I had a two night layover in Columbus, and because the Easton Town Center Hilton and Courtyard were both full, we opted for the Airport Marriott.

We treated ourselves to the romance package - we travel often on business but seldom get to stay together or at premium hotels. The romance package boosts turn down service, concierge service, full breakfast, late check out, champagne, chocolates, robe, jetted tub, bubble bath, etc. Needless to say, we were excited for a nice retreat from busy Philadelphia.

I knew at check in that I'd be dissatisfied. I had to remind the clerk that we booked the package because he said nothing after receiving my platinum card. No instructions about breakfast, concierge, etc. Upon arriving at our room (629) I was surprised to find that it was standard business class decor and set up. Desk, no sitting area, single large bed. Turndown service: standard bedding arrangement with a SINGLE wrapped chocolate on the pillow. I suppose some people book the romance package alone...? I was not one of them. My husband and I wanted to make the best of it, so we split the chocolate and headed over to the Easton Center for some dinner.

Upon our return, we found champagne chilling in a (leaking) ice bucket - there was water all over the desk. We were grateful for a good night's rest when we hit the bed - only to discover that our request for foam pillows had not been met. We called down to the desk, explaining that my husband was very allergic to goose down and that we needed a replacement; they told him he'd have to wait because there was no one there from housekeeping. Oh, thanks...

A half hour later, we decided to check the hallway to see if the pillows had been left outside - just in time to see the security guard banging on someone else's door and yelling about pillows. We asked her if they were for 629 and discovered that she'd had the room number wrong. Again, thanks.

The following morning, we went on a mission to find our breakfast; we explained to the waitress that we had a package, and she noisly told us in front of other patrons that we should have been given a ticket and that she'd have to call the desk to verify. When she had done this, she pointedly explained that everything was included EXCEPT THE TIP. What class.

There is much more to our little trip, but I think you get the idea. Oh, and there was mold behind our toilet, by the by.

Columbus is a gorgeous city. Do yourself a favor and book a downtown or Easton hotel far in advance. Don't make the mistake of thinking that airport hotel might have the same ambiance - it's certainly not any less expensive!

Thanks for listening. Travel safely.

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 20 February 2005

My husband and I spent a Friday and Saturday night (Feb. 11 and 12, 2005) at this Marriott. It had been a Radisson, but was bought and renovated in 2004 by Marriott.

I was very pleased with this hotel. It was clean and pleasantly decorated. Because it was just renovated, all the furniture and carpeting was new. And the beds were great - I called around the area looking for a comfortable bed. This Marriott advertises their pillow-top mattresses on their web site. The beds are supplied with down comforters and down pillows (lots of them). The rooms also have coffee makers.

One small complant - complimentary coffee and tea is available in the lobby, but not for very long, just a few hours in the morning.

I really liked the location - right off 670. We were near 270 east, so we were five minutes from Easton Mall. (Which is where that huge Hilton is located and room there are $179 a night and they DON'T advertise pillow-top mattresses.)

We paid $84/night for our Saturday night stay. A week before our trip I decided to also book that Friday night. Central reservations would not meet that rate; the best they would do is $94 for Friday night. If you try local reservations, they just switch you to central.

I would definitely stay at this Marriott again when we're in the Columbus area. By the way, a City Barbeque is really close to this hotel. I found that place here at Trip Advisor. The pulled pork, briskett, and smoked turkey are outstanding!!! The ribs, however, were on the tough side. Definitely check them out for barbeque!!!

2 Thank swaninthepark
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Reviewed 9 May 2004

Just spent two days at the hotel for a wedding.....very nice and very clean best bathrooms ever and the service was excellent and the staff could not have been nice would definitly stay here again.. food was very good.

2 Thank Varner