“home away from home”

Ranked #113 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Los Angeles, California, United States
“home away from home”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Hotel room was very huge, very spacious.. Employees were very friendly and helpful... Value for money.. A whole kitchen not kitchenette with plates.. i def shall return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
hawthorncolumbusgm, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus North, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Jay S.,

Thank you for your posting about your recent stay at the Hawthorn Suites Columbus - North. We are glad to hear that you will be returning and become a loyal customer. If you aren't already a member, Wyndham Rewards may benefit you to sign up. It is our rewards program for all Wyndham brand hotels and you can collet points on each stay at one of our properties towards free stays or gift cards to many different merchants. Thank you again for your comments we look forward to seeing you when you return to Columbus!!!

Sarah Owens - GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
On The Road
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have reviewed a good number of properties, and the moment I unlocked the door to my room, I said to myself - How in the world am I going to review this property?

The property is a little hard to find - you can see it from the interstate, but it's down a side road, so my GPS put me on Zumstein Dr - but it didn't take me TO the property, I found it after assuming that it was further down the road.

Upon arriving, looking at the outside of the hotel I asked - What did I get myself in to?

The property is an old Residence Inn by Marriott - it was Marriott's first concept for an extended stay property. It almost feels like a timeshare resort when you pull up. The welcome I received from another guest was the first indicator that this would be an overall odd experience - "Can I have a cigarette, buddy?" - Uhhhh - yeah, I don't smoke.

Very tiny lobby some basic food and drink items available for purchase in the shop in the lobby.
Along with some personal care items locked with a chain in a glass case.

The young lady that checked me in was very busy - but she was very polite and checked me in very quickly, explained how to navigate the property - and I was on my way.

The hotel is built like an apartment complex - there are 1st and 2nd floor rooms, no elevators to 2nd floor rooms. So, if it rains or snows - you're walking from the parking area in the rain or snow.

All around the resort you can see why Marriott would have sold the property - it is in rough shape. The steps up to my room on the 2nd floor were crumbling - and the wood landings were less than well maintained (peeling paint, over-sprayed blue spray paint outside the door)
Some of the sidewalks were crumbling, and the building exteriors weren't very fresh in appearance.

I had reserved a Queen Bed Studio room - I was upgraded to a suite - 2 br - 2 ba - kitchen, fireplace, and living room. As soon as I walked in I was hit with cooking odors (fried onions) - not a pleasant smell!

The upstairs bedroom is loft-style, with a double bed (it looked like a double anyway) - and the master bedroom had a king bed. Since it was just me, I slept in the master bedroom, and the bed was very comfortable. The chair and sofa in the living room were very well used and broken down. The seat back of the chair was almost completely collapsed, and the arms were very stained and dirty looking. The sofa was VERY uncomfortable, very sagged in the center.

Overall - was the resort clean? Reasonably. I say reasonably because the surfaces, bathrooms, linens (except for a cigarette burn on the bed runner), carpets, draperies, and walls were all clean. Were they spotless? No, but they had been cleaned - and the carpets and window coverings are all fairly recent replacements.

Overall the units are dated and in need of maintenance - the secondary lock on my door was broken.

The area seems very prone to vehicle break-ins, and they make sure to collect your vehicle information at check in. The hotel is near the end of a dead end access rd.

At one time this property was amazing, you can tell that it was cutting edge in the extended stay business when it was built. It is still a nice property.

Would I suggest this property to someone else? It totally depends on what you are looking for. If you are OK with a great value priced hotel that is a little rough around the edges - then by all means, this property offers an excellent value!
If you are a very picky hotel guest and totally freak out when something isn't as clean as it would be in your own home... then this property would not be a good match for you.
If you are looking for a temporary long term corporate rental on a limited budget, this property provides a great price and plenty of space for the price paid.

The accommodations are clean, comfortable, and livable. However, don't expect the same type of accommodations that you would find at a Homewood Suites or a Candlewood Suites.

I only stayed for one night for an overnight through traveling through the area - but it met my needs, was very easy on the budget, and they did upgrade me to a huge suite! I can't lie, I wanted to go buy a couple fire logs and enjoy the fireplace - it was snowing during my stay.

The free wi-fi worked well, there is free breakfast but I didn't take the time to stop into the gatehouse for breakfast.

If you aren't incredibly picky when it comes to hotels, give this property a shot - as I rated, it is an average property - nothing stellar.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank admit_it
Dear Admit_it,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Hawthorn Suites Columbus - North. We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with other travelers. We hope to see you on your next visit to the Columbus area.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Although aspects of the rooms are dated (i.e., no high def. televisions, older coach), the value for the Penthouse House Suite plus hot breakfast in the morning was amazing. The room was perfect for four adults and two kids, as the space has a loft bedroom upstairs with a bathroom and a private bedroom downstairs with a bath, which is right of the living room and full kitchen. We were very pleased with the breakfast as well. For the price this was a steal!

• Stayed January 2012
hawthorncolumbusgm, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus North, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear Klgraham,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorn Suites Columbus North. I am happy to say that the hi-def TVs are coming. We are getting them in slowly but the TVs will soon be all replaced with 32 inch flat screens!!!! We hope to see you on your next visit to the Columbus area!

Dearborn
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I was really disappointed in this hotel. We were with a group and they initally did not place us near each other. Two members of our group had to request to move closer to us. Our group - 20 of us - had requested if breakfast could be early 1 month before we arrived, and they informed us that it would not be a problem, as we had to get to our event downtown by 7am. When we arrived, they were rather rude and said no that would not be happening. The rooms were very worn and out dated. It looked like it was straight from the 80's. There were couch and chair was saggy and had stains. The kitchen wasn't well stocked, a couple of plates and 2 forks, 2 mugs, and a pot. The paint was peeling from the porches on the upstairs units, and it was very slippery, no traction at all. Police patrolled this section alot, so I'm not sure if security is an issue. I know we did not feel safe.
The good - it was clean.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear kaylasmom97,

I apologize that your recent stay with us was not enjoyable. We commonly make concessions for groups that need an early or late breakfast, had we been aware of this in advance we would have gladly been prepared to have the breakfast ready early for your group. In reviewing your groups reservations I'm showing that all reservations booked within the group block were placed all in one section of the hotel, there must have been a miscommunication if some folks reserved outside of the group block. We actually employ an off duty police officer to patrol on the overnight shift at our hotel to insure that everything is safe and secure for our guests. I hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time your team travels to the Columbus area, I'm sure that we can make up for the inconveniences you encountered on this past trip.

Reading
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Very friendly staff with great facilities and Eagle supermarket literally next door.

Room Tip: All rooms are good (I had 2 and both were clean and had similar facilities)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

hawthorncolumbusgm, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus North, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Sawyboy,

Thank you for your recent review of our facility! The Giant Eagle is very convenient to our property even within walking distance, which is nice since the rooms have a full kitchens. There are also several restaurants and local businesses within walking distance to the hotel. We hope to see you on your next visit to the Columbus area!
Thanks again!

Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We booked this hotel on hotwire while taking our son and nephew visiting colleges. The "deal" on hotwire was only $5 cheaper than the online price, Both which were quite reasonable. The hotel let us upgrade to a 2 bed separate bedroom room for $40 more. Some issues: holes in walls patched but still obvious; floor squishy and uneven under carpet; holes in the towels and blankets; chipped paint, ripped carpet on the stairs, coffee pot didn't work and the mattress on the sofabed springs were sticking out. The whole place could have used a good scrubbing especially the walls. Our key didn't work and twice we had to run back to the front desk (downstairs and outside in a different building) before they moved us rooms where we had to take all stuff downstairs and outside again. There were no logs available at the front desk for purchase but we did pick up some wood at Giant Eagle and enjoyed a fire. The good: price, location to the highway, quiet, very comfortable beds, and good breakfast. There was a pretty substantial snowfall overnight and the walkways and stairs were not shoveled by time we left at 9:00 am.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Kennebunkport
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This is the best value we have ever encountered. The service was wonderful. The room was spacious, clean, and had every amenity we desired. The price was more than reasonable. Our one nitpick: we knew that our room would have a fireplace but did not realize it was not ready to light. Even so, we'll warm up in the sauna and would readily stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
hawthorncolumbusgm, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Columbus North, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear Jed T,
Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at the Hawthorn Suites Columbus - North. We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I apologize that you were not informed about our fireplaces, they are real woodburning fireplaces. We do have the firelogs availble at the front desk for purchase they are $5.00 each and last about 3 hours. We hope to see you on your next visit to Columbus. Thank you again for your comments!