“Overprice and undersized”

The Westin Columbus
Ranked #57 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at The Westin Columbus for a family wedding that was held in the hotel, and while the exterior and common spaces were impressive if the gilded age is your style, the room we stayed in certainly left something to be desired. It is a historic building that was retrofitted to have bathrooms in every room, so by necessity the rooms are quite small if you stay in a standard. They didn't seem to have any standard rooms with a king bed, and the finishes in the queen room were basic hotel. Our room only had a three piece bathroom with a shower that was ok sized, but didn't have anywhere for you to prop yourself for shaving (a big issue for the ladies). The other issue was the cost of parking - at $24 a night it's very excessive, especially seeing how the required valets didn't notice that a window was down in our rental car when parking it, thus resulting in a very wet ride the next day since it rained overnight. (Parking for one night was more than our rental car for the whole weekend.) We did find a lot sort of caddy-corner across the block that was much cheaper - I think it was $6/day on the weekends - that would be a better option if we were to return here in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HalleyKaras, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. Your comments are well taken and appreciated. I am very sorry that the room you reserved did not meet your expectations. As a historic hotel, we have 19 different room types and over 100 different configurations. While this adds to our history and charm, I absolutely understand that some of our rooms are smaller than the modern traveler expects. I would love the opportunity to have you back and to find a room that better suits your needs. Additionally, I apologize that our valet team did notice that your window was not rolled up when they parked it. I will make sure to address that with my team and use your comments as a learning experience so that we can improve. We appreciate your business and value you as our guest. I hope to see you back at The Westin the next time your travels bring you to Columbus.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I can't wait for the next time we get to go to The Westin, not only is it an amazing Wedding venue, it will be perfect for a weekend getaway! It has such a romantic and elegant atmosphere!! We plan to come back and have a night out in Columbus, and stay at our favorite hotel! This venue is a fairy tale, and there are not enough words that can express how happy we were with our decision in choosing The Westin. We checked in of Friday the weekend of the wedding, and everything was perfect till Sunday at checkout. Everything went smoothly without a hiccup, and The Westin and Linsey Bruce made sure of it! The Hotel/ball room are just gorgeous and everything we had dreamed our wedding to be. We had lots of food options(cheese/meat station & late night snacks), and from what we had time to eat was amazing, and the guests loved it too! Even though they are a full service venue, I hired a wedding planner to assist me with everything due to my school/work schedule. Linsey and her worked together towards the end, and the day of it was so nice to see Linsey check in often and make our night so special! I would do this weekend all over again, because the hard work that everyone put into it was beyond my expectations! We put passion and hard work to everything we do, and it was heartwarming to see others perform that way for us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rachel,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so glad that our team was able to provide such a flawless and memorable experience. I will make sure to share your comments not only with Linsey, but with our culinary, events and operations team. They truly love their jobs and it delights them to hear from satisfied guests, especially brides! We so appreciate your business and you taking the time to review your experience. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed here for a week at Christmas and will stay here again. It is elegant and historic and the staff were so attentive. Christmas week is a slower time and we were given wonderful large rooms. The bathrooms are a little small but everything else more than makes up for that. Why stay at a chain hotel out in the suburbs when for the same money you can stay somewhere really memorable?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cybelle E
HalleyKaras, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Cybelle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us last Christmas. I am so glad you enjoyed our grand, historic hotel and that our team was able to give you a nice upgrade during a slower time. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and enhancing your next visit to Columbus.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I attended a wedding June 8 at the Westin and decided to stay overnight as we are from out of town. This was not my first stay: I had stayed there 12 years ago on business. The property is locally known as the Great Southern Hotel. It is one of the venerable old classic hotels similar in style to and age-comparable to the Palmer House in Chicago. The style is fabulous public areas and small rooms.
Overnight parking is mandatory $24. We asked for the wedding party rooms, but they had been filled at the rate of $109 per night. So a few questions later, we were booked in a standard room at a state employee discount (we are retired civil servants) of $99.00 Sweet! Our confirming e-mail gave us the option to upgrade to a junior suite for $25. We requested it but got no confirmation it was available. At the desk, we were told that we were booked into a suite COMPLIMENTARY! Sweeter!
We stayed in room 433. No view, but there is no view from any room as the hotel is surrounded by parking lots. It was two rooms joined. Beautifully decorated, cleaner than any room I have ever been in. The bed had a thick duvet which I dislike because they are too hot. A pillow top mattress which my husband finds too soft, but the mattress itself was firm and seemed new. Nice bathroom appointments and even a bathrobe. Two flat panels, a fridge, safe, etc. It had a HVAC unit in the room. I find them noisy to run all night, but it could be turned off.
The wedding reception was two floors below us, and the beat of the band could be heard, but it was not loud. I would not, however, want to be in the room above it immediately below u. However, there are other wings in the hotel so escape from the noise is possible if the right room is requested. Our room was quiet and comfortable.
The room in which the reception was held was lovely. Marble and velvet, beautifully appointed. Dinner service excellent. For a wedding reception, you would have thought you were in a fine restaurant. Kudos to the wait staff. The food was pretty good, not great, but above average.
Somehow, we were hungry when we got back to the room and my husband went down to find a soda and a candy bar. The hotel has no gift shop! And there is no drug store or convenience store nearby. Bummer!
The staff was friendly and helpful. We did not receive a check-out form under the door, but check-out at the desk was easy. The menu in the room was extensive, but strangely enough was put together by a copying machine and stapled in the (wrong) corner. They could have done better with that. Valet parking fast in and out. The hotel is about a five minute walk from the state house and near I-670, 71 and 70.
All in all, I was surprised at good it was, given the age of the hotel. It's a real treasure and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The junior suite is a good value if you can get it for a good price. Be preapred for a smaller room...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joansie51048

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at The Westin Columbus. We truly value your business and appreciate your comments. I am so glad you were able to book a great rate and enjoyed our beautiful historic hotel. Your comments are well taken and very valuable to fellow travelers. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Columbus

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were married at the Westin in April and had such a great experience!! Linsey Bruce is so great to work with and the Westin staff in general was fabulous.

We had many compliments on the food (especially the scallop appetizers and mahi mahi for the entrée) and the drinks, as well as the service. Anna, who is the head of catering, was awesome.

The only small issue we had was more with the front desk staff and them forgetting to hand out Welcome bags but Linsey swooped in and helped the situation!

Advice for any brides/grooms- recommend your guests to book suites ASAP. They book up fast and are only $20 more to upgrade. The standard rooms are pretty small.

We looked at many other hotels downtown to have our wedding at and for the price and the elegance of the room, I really don’t think you can beat the Westin! The lighting, windows, marble floors etc really make the whole room look amazing. We are so so happy we got married at the Westin and would highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HalleyKaras, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience. We truly enjoyed having your wedding reception at The Westin Columbus and are delighted that you were so pleased with your experience. We agree, Linsey and Anna are wonderful and I will make sure to recognize them specifically for a job well done. Your kind words mean so much and we so appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were married at the Westin earlier this spring. Everything went off without a hitch and all of our guests enjoyed their time in Columbus. We had looked at a few other places in town for our wedding but the thing that brought us to the Westin was the elegance of the hotel. Other places we toured talked about how you could do this or that to more or less disguise the fact that you were at a boring, staid, unmemorable hotel ballroom.

But, that was not needed with the Westin. The marble floors and stained glass windows do not need to be accented or dressed up.

Once we decided on the location, everything else fell into place. Doing things with the event staff was considerably less stressful than I would have imagined going into it. The service we received leading up to the day clinched our decision further.

All of our guests told us they were treated well and enjoyed all the staff and all the city had to offer. If we had it to do over again, we would not change a thing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scicio1
HalleyKaras, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you so much for selecting The Westin Columbus for your wedding, and for taking the time to review your experience. As the premier wedding destination in Columbus, we truly enjoy and have our complete focus on creating beautiful, stress free and memorable experiences for our happy couples and their loved ones. We appreciate your business and value you as our guest.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Rooms and hallways are filthy, beds are worn in. The Lobby and bar are nice but otherwise the hotel needs some major work. Also waited about 45 min to check in even though there was only a few people in line. This location is terrible, its right across from the courthouse- and every time you go outside there is some degenerate walking by asking for money .
Also another nice perk is the 25$ a day parking they hit you with, complete ripoff- worst westin I have ever stayed at, would never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mike h
HalleyKaras, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We are a historic hotel, but do our very best to keep up with renovation schedules and rigorous maintenance routines to ensure our product is in exceptional condition. I would love the opportunity to speak to you and find out what room you stayed in so that I can investigate your concerns specifically. I am also very sorry that our downtown location was disappointing in relation to parking cost and that you experienced panhandlers. Our parking charges are comparable to all downtown hotels, but I can understand that the price may seem higher than you might expect. We have a doorman all day and evening and a full time security staff for the overnights and are committed to the safety and comfort of our guests.

Mike, I take your concerns extremely seriously and promise to look into how we can improve. We appreciate your business and value you as our guest.