Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Copley
Dover, Pennsylvania
“Tom”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Room was not clean, garbage under bed, coffee grounds packet dried & left in coffee pot, coffee pot dirty. No evening reception on weekdays, only on Monday & Wednesday. Checked in with 3 people only had 2 sets of towels. Asked for more towels, given one set. Every time you needed towels only given one set at a time. Most hotels had towels by poolside, did not see any towels available. Iron in room did not work. Breakfast buffet was cold potatoes were terrible, sausage and biscuits cold. No meat on the breakfast buffet and the waffle batter would not come out of the batter container. I filled a glass of orange juice and it was all but water. Then filled a glass of apple juice , when I went to take a drink I noticed the rim of the plastic glass was dirty. By the way, no glass plates or glasses, all paper & plastic even silverware. Left and went out to eat, The grounds had beer cans, cigarette buts and garbage lying around everywhere. Will never stay at this establishment again. Would recommend anyone planning a trip look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
Atchison, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We had stayed at Residence Inn the night before and were so impressed, we wanted to stay again... We knew we were going to be in the area and found what we thought was another one... NOT! (I guess I need to update my maps!)

The Staff was very friendly and helpfull, but this place is older and the bed was horrible. My wife and I kept falling into the middle and did not sleep well at all.

On a positive note, it was large, plenty of room for us and our four kids, so that was a plus. The staff claimed to have just acquired the property, so maybe they will make some upgrades, but I won't be staying again....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I made a reservation FIVE MONTHS ago to the day that I was supposed to stay and I got a phone call THE DAY OF saying that I didn't have a room. (A baseball team was there and wanted to stay another night. So they let them. Even though I had a reservation.) I was coming in from out of town, my friends were coming in from out of town, and we had a whole night planned that included this penthouse suite and the amenities included. They moved my friends and I over to the Comfort Inn and still charged me a ridiculous amount of money. The manager treated me like I was a nuisance and cut me off multiple times in conversation. I told him I would contact Comfort Inn and he said, "No, don't. Do you know how awkward it is for me, running a business, to have to go over to another hotel and give them our business?" EXCUSE ME? Do you know how awkward it is to go into a hotel expecting to have a room and then NOT?

Never. I will NEVER stay there again and be treated like that. Customer service is definitely not a staple of this hotel, and the customer is never right. How. Rude.

Room Tip: Try for the penthouse suite, but then be careful because you may not get it, even with a reservation...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erin M
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

As a business traveler staying for six weeks, I'm actually recommending that my company never books at this hotel again. The buildings themselves are in great disrepair with chipping paint and failing air conditioners. I moved rooms due to an A/C unit that could not be repaired and had the same problem in my new room. Both rooms I stayed in lacked the full accompaniments that would make this feel like home. It is impossible to cook more than a microwave meal in the full kitchen because the aluminum cookware (if you get any and it's clean) is so cheap and everything sticks to it. Breakfast is the same every day, rotating on day one to biscuits and gravy and on day two to sausage, otherwise never changing down to the unidentifiable fruit cocktail. The powdered eggs are rubbery and sometimes even gritty, if you dare to try. They ran out of basics like coffee cup lids, creamer, butter and cream cheese several times during my stay. The housekeeping is inexcusable. Garbage remains in front of guests' doors for days, and garbage cans around the property are always overflowing. My first room had dirty dishes left in it and my second room was missing cups and cookware. I'm traveling with pets, so the couple times I requested housekeeping service, no vacuum was used and though my bed was made, my sheets weren't changed. Twice they completely ignored my request. The beds are old and uncomfortable and there are no screens in the windows so when your A/C goes out, you won't be able to cool off at all.

**The internet service is practically nonexistent, so don't plan on getting any work done from your room at night.

There are only two positives I can really say about this hotel. The front desk staff, for the most part, was very nice. From the sound of previous reviews, they have yet to get rid of their weakest link and you'll know who she is on first encounter. The location is definitely excellent.

• Stayed June 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have been staying at this location for over a year (checking out this week) on business. I wanted to provide an update to my original review to share with my fellow travelers and hopefully catch the attention of the elusive owner of this hotel…

The MAJORITY of the staff is amazingly friendly and they do their best to make your stay enjoyable. After staying here for a year a number of them I now consider friends. So the staff is generally excellent (minus housekeeping and a certain front desk staffer who forgot what the term hospitality means.)

Despite some random updates over the past year, this facility is definitely aging but some simple clean-up would help A LOT. My previous rant about the housekeeping staff stands… they are horrible and lazy. Read the reviews here… that is the general theme (summarized: Great staff, aging but potential and horrible housekeeping staff). The buildings do need updated but the base facility is not bad. I stayed there by choice for a year so it’s not that horrible but as a long term resident I had basically ended up (based on my housekeeping complaints) with a dedicated housekeeper assigned to the room and Ms. J (I will call her) is excellent so my room was spotless… but there is only one Ms. J and a whole lot of rooms to clean.

If you need a place to stay StayPlace is not bad and a great value… just get a room cleaned by Ms. J!

OWNER IF YOUR READING THIS: (one would think if someone owns a multi-million dollar facility they would listen to feedback from guests)…. You have something that can be a great place for travelers and with the right touches could become a highly profitable venture… but get a housekeeping staff that cleans and spend more $$ on updates. It would be sad to see this place continue its decline if for no other reason than my new friends who work there are trying but they need your help (and a housekeeping staff that actually works).

Room Tip: Ask if you can see the room first... multiple stories about people walking into rooms housekeeping s...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

We stayed here with my 18 year old son's basketball team for the King James Shootout. We ended up with 11 rooms. Rooms were spacious. Property is definately a little tired and is in dire need of upgrading. Some kitchens were in pretty rough shape, rooms were generally clean, but could all use a thorough cleaning into the corners etc. More than half of our rooms did not get made up during our two night stay, mine included. No explaination, just didn't get done. When we arrived at 3:30pm on Friday, more than 1/2 of our rooms were not yet ready.... we were told checkin is 4pm... I can understand a couple of them not being ready, but everyone at the desk seemed to have an issue. Breakfast was surprisingly good on Saturday, with eggs, hash browns, biscuits and sausage gravy. In addition there was fresh fruit, nice breads and lots of juice. Sunday not so good, seemed to be short staffed and all the juice was empty and eggs were very slow in coming. The uniqe set up of the hotel as separate buildings was OK, and overall, for the price we were very satisfied with our stay. Staff was good, especially Tamika who went out of her way to fix a billing issue for us on Sunday. Denise who books groups is also easy to deal with on email which is a great bonus when dealing with larger groups.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

This place had a good thing going back when it was a Residence INN. Since it has changed names and ownership about 3-4 times and every time this place has taken a serious hit. In short, you can do much better with other hotels in the area. This place is in need of a serious overhaul. The rooms are dirty at times, I had mold on the shower curtain, squeaky floors, old furniture, and overall this place needs a deep cleaning. I've stayed at this property for over three years off and on and each time I return it gets worse and worse.

I'd also like to point out that the staff is very friendly but that will get erased away as soon as you go into your room. Simply put, they need to be cleaned better and need some serious attention. I can't really complain about the price, you can get a studio for as low as $50 a night for longer stays (more than 7 days) but really that does not out weigh the overall experience of sleeping in one of these rooms.

Its too bad, I used to really enjoy staying here but as the years have gone, this place has too. They need to spend some $$ updating appliances, furniture, carpets, and more. Even the outside of these places are showing age, cracked wood, chipped paint, and so on.

Stay Away

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Jay510
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copley
Baymont Inn & Suites Copley Akron
BEST WESTERN PLUS West Akron Inn & Suites
Super 8 Copley Akron
Super 8 Copley Akron
#2 of 11 in Copley
Extended Stay America - Akron - Copley - East
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn
Radisson Hotel Akron/Fairlawn

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn? Share your experiences!