“Great food and service.”

English Ivy Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 45 Restaurants in Coshocton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The burger is out of this world and the potato salad is the best. We eat lunch here at least once a week and will soon try dinner also.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Again, Tripadvisor steered us to a local gem; this lunchtime, it was English Ivy. The restaurant is sited in a mostly residential neighborhood not far from town center; it's in an old brown-brick house, maybe built around 1900, which has been well maintained. The interior features rarely-seen detail work like coffered ceilings. However, it was a gloriously comfy day, and received a nice table on their front porch--there's also a side court-yard for more outdoor enjoyment. We arrived later in the lunch service and the other two tables on the porch soon vacated, leaving us to enjoy the delightful weather and interesting neighborhood.

The rest of our great enjoyment came from the food and service.. My wife opted for a hamburger, which she proclaimed very good. Whoever thought to garnish her plate with a little wedge of watermelon is a genius. Her potato salad was fine, I sampled a little, it showed some German style influence, not the western Ohio mayo-only dressing we're used to, but with subtle tones of vinegar and mustard. I got their spinach salad topped with a scoop of chicken salad. I ate them separately as a matter of personal taste. The chicken salad was well made with good flavor and some crunch in the texture (maybe that was some bacon picked up from the spainach salad?) and a little sprinkle of salt was needed. As for the spinach salad, I'm accustomed to it consisting of only spinach leaves, onion, bacon, egg, croutons and dressing; this one also had other greens and carrot, which I thought was fine. After much deliberation I opted for their balsamic vinaigrette, and it was a happy choice.

Now, they do mostly lunch business--dinner on Fridays and Saturdays only--and based on this experience, I can see why they're so highly regarded by the locals.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We wanted a memorable place to dine. After reading reviews on TripAdvisor by the "locals", we set out to find the English Ivy Restaurant. They close daily at 2:30PM so we were relieved to find it by 1:45PM. Antiques chairs were sprinkled on the porch. When you first walk in, the lobby wallpaper is a little busy, but the wallpaper in the eating rooms were soothing. Luckily, their special that day was chicken potpies. I expected to see it served inside a mini pie pan and wondering if it had crust on the bottom or not. Their potpie could stand on the plate by its delicious crust alone! The pecan and blackberry pies had the same wonderful crust! They brew a good cup of tea also. The owner was joking with some patrons on the front porch as we left but took time to thank us for coming. We will be back on a Friday night to try their dinner menu!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Housed in a Century home, English Ivy is a perfect lunch spot off the beaten path. The cooked fresh menu is perfect for a sandwich, soup, salad, pie kind of lunch with some hardier entrees also included in the offerings. Our server was sweet and efficient and the food was excellent.

We appreciate being seated at 20 minutes to close on the day they were breaking down to have the floors re-done over 4th of July weekend. In spite of the bustle of the prep work the patrons came first and we enjoyed our little local lunch stop immensely.

Get the pie! Get the soups! Well just come back until you have tried it all!

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I do not understand the negative reviews. There is nothing about English Ivy that is negative, except, perhaps the parking at a busy time. But there is always plenty of parking available on the street with very short walks. The food, atmosphere, staff, AND owners are first class. I have NEVER witnessed any loud or demeaning remarks from the owners towards the staff. In fact, the owners are so soft-voiced and easy-going that I doubt if they could yell if they had to. I suggest that the poster of the comment re: this issue must have confused English Ivy with another establishment OR was stating his/her opinion after an inordinate consumption of alcohol. And to the poster who complained about the decor, or lack thereof, REALLY???? Have you had your glasses checked, lately? Btw, I am not a relative or close friend of the owners or any of the employees.

1  Thank JHMCCLURE