“Historic Ride”

Monticello III Canal Boat Ride
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The ride is about half an hour on a canal boat pulled by a team of horses. The narrator was well informed, a retire teacher I believe.

1  Thank The_Centurian

Reviewed 20 July 2013

After taking the tour at Roscoe Village, the boat ride really helped understand what it would be like to live life on the canal back in the 1800s. My children loved the horses and the captain's stories of the canal. We thought it was great!

1  Thank dmdpretty
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

I summed it up in my title. It's a relaxing ride taking you back in time. If you're wanting a fast boat ride, this may not be for you because this boat is pulled like they were in the canal days, by horses! Woods and water obviously can cause mosquitoes, and although we never had a major issue like the posting below, we too are outdoor people and we came with repellent on. I highly recommend this unique travel back in time!

2  Thank Taber33
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to the relaxing canal boat ride, but it quickly turned into a nightmare. The moment the boat pushed off we were swarmed with mosquitoes. I am an avid hiker and this swarm was exponentially worse than any I have ever seen. The tour guide was selling mosquito repellant(which felt crooked to me) but had neglected to bring enough for even our small group. When I asked if they had anymore repellant the tour guide got creepy. He leaned towards me and got within a few inches of my face and just didnt say anything until he finally turned to walk away. The mosquitos became worse and worse and being trapped on a super slow moving boat while being feasted upon felt like torture.
All in all, the boat ride isn't worth eight bucks even without the mosquitos. The staff seemed poor to average as even the ticket sellers insulted us. I would only ever recommend this place to someone who had deeply wronged me. I would only ever visit again if I were a mosquito. The only positive thing that I can think of about this experience is that all of my mosquito bites will keep me from forgetting to get tested for west nile virus.

5  Thank Jason L