“Absolutely NOT Family Friendly” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast

White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely NOT Family Friendly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

I wish there was some way to give less than a 1 dot review because the owner of this place couldn't have been more heartless and inhospitable. When we arrived to check in after a very long day of traveling at 8:40 pm the owner lead me to the cabin I'd booked for one night's stay. All properties remotely near the amish country were booked and this place was the only available that seemed decent (although for $240/night wouldn't normally book) When my husband brought our groggy, tired, 16 month son out of the car to the cabin, the owner said "this is a problem" we don't allow children; MUCH to my surprise. She threw us out. When I asked to see the inn policy she said I had to look on my computer, so I did. It says "the INN is NOT SUITABLE for children under 12" NOT the "private" cabins which are apart from the inn/house. AND, by the way, when you agree to the terms on checkout it does not say "NO CHILDREN." When I asked how she could be so heartless and discriminate against kids, she smugly replied "children aren't protected under the law" so DO NOT patronize this place, they advertise it's close-it's not- it's at least a half hour drive from amish country and the "private" cabins are right next to each other. parking stinks too. I have never been so disgusted with a place in my entire life and I've traveled the world.

Room Tip: do not stay at this place
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank laura r
Woiyvonne, Owner at White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
I'd like to thank this guest for pointing out that our inn is not suitable for families with young children. Many of our guests come here to enjoy quiet time alone together without children around. I make no apology for our policy of no children at the inn or for enforcing that policy consistently.

Although our policy about children is stated on the policies page of our website, as these guests have pointed out, it was not reiterated on our online reservation request form. I do apologize for that and will change the form to avoid future misunderstandings.

In this particular situation the guests were not forthcoming with the information that they were traveling with a toddler. When asked how many guests they answered TWO. When asked for the names of all guests they gave their own names. There was no mention of a third person or a third name, so it was a surprise to us when they arrived with a young child.

At that time we did the best we could with a difficult situation. Although the child couldn't stay here, I did offer to find them alternative accommodations and called a nearby hotel and booked them a room suitable for a family.

I'm sorry if the guest felt I was being smug when I answered her question.

I hope they enjoyed the rest of their stay in Amish country.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tyrone, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We were there on the first night of the presidential debate and we could barely see it on the pint size screen in our room. The dinner was very good but when the waiter realized that he had not brought plates for us to eat on I knew that all was not right. After the plates were brought I found out that they know how to cook there. Cornish game hens on a bed of orzo mixed with Parmesan cheese and shredded carrots was wonderful as was the nice assortment of cheeses on the appetizer platter. The breakfast featuring both a frittata and a blueberry pancake with powdered sugar were both wonderful. Outside the leaves were falling and it was a beautiful site to see. Probably the worst thing to happen was that I had taken an empty Vitamin Water bottle and filled it with water and a powdered drink mix and stuck it in the hall fridge to cool overnight. When I went to get it the next morning I found that another one of the guests though it was one of the free refreshments provided by the hosts. I hope they got my cold!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mr90bod
Thank you for the reminder that we need to provide labels and marker pens for people to write their names on articles left in the refrigerator.

You'll be happy to hear that we recently upgraded the television sets in all the inn rooms.

I'm glad you enjoyed your meals during your stay. We take great pride in our food.
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

This owner really know how to market... Not a good value... Location is great, but that is it.
For over $400.00 with dinner one night it is only worth $150 at best. Dinner was not more than you would get at Denney s During intro before dinner owner was drinking but saying he could not offer his guest wine. Than after dinner he joined us at our table and was drinking more wine. When ask how many glasses of wine he had that evening-- he answer was about 5.
Please do not waist you money on this place unless you have some much money you really do not care..

Room Tip: We had a room-- like motel 6, not in the original home. Farm was 2 sheep.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ted e
Woiyvonne, Owner at White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment. It is greatly disappointing to us when a guest feels that The White Oak Inn did not meet their expectations. Fortunately, this is a rare occurrence. We have a history of appealing to a diverse group of travelers. Many of our guests return year after year and bring or send their valued friends and family members.

The package referenced in this comment was for TWO nights lodging and dinner for two. It is a very popular package enjoyed by many of our visitors and most of them tell us it's an excellent value. We take great pride in our meal service and the fact that our food is made fresh daily from locally sourced ingredients. Guests frequently request copies of our recipes.

The innkeeper host normally joins our guests before dinner to welcome them to our dining room and explain the menu. All guests are informed at the time of booking that local liquor laws do not permit us to provide alcohol to guests, but they are welcome to enjoy their own during their stay. I regret that a flippant remark about the amount of wine the host had consumed may have been misinterpreted as a serious answer by this particular guest.

No matter how many happy guest we have had throughout the years, the few who might have questions or experience disappointment are important to us.

Although the inn has not been a working farm for many years, we keep two very amusing pet sheep in the barn. They thoroughly enjoy being visited by guests bearing gifts of crackers or gummi bears.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

If you want to be off the beaten track, both literally and figuratively, this is the place for you. You can sit on the porch and read, and just let the quiet woods seep into you. If you need to stay wired and in touch with the big world out there, this might be a little too rural. :)

Breakfasts were absolutely delicious and with several courses and choices every day. Our room was fine -- a little cramped, but we are three large people so we expected that. Beds looked a bit worn but we slept just fine. All in all, a lovely rural hideaway -- I just wish we had had more time there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Frankie731
Toledo,Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our stay! Great place for a romantic get-a-way. Very quiet place to relax and close to Ohio's amish country! The food was amazing! The staff was very friendly and gave good advice on things to do in the area. We will be back for another stay!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt142
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

The White Oak Inn is an extraordinary place…. THE BEST B&B I have ever stayed at!
Beautiful setting, quiet and peaceful…in the middle of Ohio’s Amish Country… this was just what we needed. My fiancé purchased the Living Social voucher as a gift to me… even though we traveled past the expiration date; Ian and Yvonne Martin were wonderful hosts and honored the voucher without hesitation.

When we arrived we were greeted by Ian with Dougal (a well-mannered and gentle black lab) at his side. The house was beautifully furnished with a welcoming foyer and an inviting great room with a gorgeous, 19th century, square grand piano, which Ian had said we were welcome to play. (my fiancé’ is a musician, and we were delighted to find out so is Ian)

The first thing we did, after Ian showed us to our room, was to take a nap… it was so comfortable and relaxing. There was no cell phone service but we were told we could call home to give our family the Inn number in case we were needed. We opted not to do this. It was great to get away from the ringing phones. The inn does have internet service and we could check in with our children via Facebook, iMessage and Skype on our iPads. This was more than sufficient as we were on a “get-away”.

When we came down to bring our things in from the car…. We could smell our delicious dinner cooking …. We were given two entrée choices, I chose the pork chops with apples and my fiancé’ chose the chicken Florentine. When we sat for dinner Ian opened and served our wine. (it is BYOB due to being a dry county) Both dishes were fabulous. Dessert was so yummy, sticky toffee English pudding. There were other guests staying the same night and we enjoyed their company as well as Ian and his family, they were in for a visit.

We did notice there were fresh baked cookies in a jar on the coffee table in the great room, along with a coffee and tea bar but we were so well-fed there was no way we would have needed a mid-night snack.

The next morning we were given two choices for breakfast times. We were also given a sweet and a savory choice for our entrée. Yvonne happily gave us a little of each, as we didn’t want to miss out on either one as they sounded fabulous. We helped ourselves to coffee and earl grey tea in the great room, we then went to the dining room. We had our choice of juice. Peach scones and a fruit plate followed. We had berry pancakes and a breakfast strata. Ian and Yvonne were so helpful with suggestions of things to do. They even had short summaries about the places and easy to follow directions printed.

When we had gone back to our room from breakfast we found that it had been cleaned, bed made and everything was spic n span. I loved that they had a pretty purple washcloth, marked for makeup removal. When I requested an “old “towel from Yvonne (as I had just colored my hair bright purple before our trip and didn’t want to ruin their beautiful very white ones) she graciously brought me one and it still looked great to me.

We set out for the day of adventure. We were so satisfied with breakfast and anticipated another amazing dinner. We didn’t need lunch or even a snack. We opted to have the romantic dinner basket. (This is an alternative to the meat and cheese platter, and was an additional charge, very much worth it.) Although that nights meal was to be “on our own” Ian and Yvonne kindly suggested we use the dining room as we wanted to enjoy the company of the other guests we had met the previous night, and Ian politely severed our meal semi family style. All of it was delicious, fresh salad, Cornish game hens, yummy veggies and chocolate cake.

We crawled into a comfortable bed with fresh clean white linens, and drifted off to a peaceful sleep.

Another delicious breakfast was prepared for us. My fiancé had a breakfast casserole while I opted for the peach bread pudding, with the same trimming, coffee, tea, juice, and fruit. Check out is by 11 am, according to their handbook, but we were never rushed or made to feel like we were on a time limit. We went up to our room gathered our things and headed down to take care of our incidentals and check out. We bought four of the inn’s mugs (they are gorgeous handmade stone ware mugs that they use at the inn, They come in such beautiful colors and have a medallion of the inn on the front) as a reminder or our trip. Yvonne kindly took a picture of us on the front porch and reluctantly we left vowing to return A.S.A.P.

We had a remarkable, wonderful, and tranquil time. We were well fed, cared for and made to feel so welcome. Thank you Ian and Yvonne for such an outstanding and relaxing get away.
We cannot wait to visit you both again soon.

Room Tip: Be aware if you need to keep in contact with the outside world, there isn't reliable cell servic...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pamela_Rae1966
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

The White Oak Inn is a perfect setting for a romantic getaway. We started our trip (before getting to the White Oak Inn) doing a winery tour and a one-night stay at a hotel. I thought that part would be more my speed, but boy was I wrong. Once we got to the White Oak Inn I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I felt immediately. Ian was gracious and helpful getting us settled in the room, and it was so comfortable that we ended up taking a nap before even unpacking at all.

Back to the subjects of this review, starting with the food. All I can say is that I didn't have a single meal that wasn't fantastic. The breakfast was fantastic both days - a good mix of some things you'd expect (though even the bacon was better than expected due to Ian's handiwork in seasoning it) and things that were unexpected and super delicious (like the strata which was of course awesome). Dinners were great - we had both the sit-down dinner and a basket and both were top notch. The basket is VERY substantial, I thought it was as much food as the regular dinner. All of it awesome, great food and portions.

The hosts are also awesome. Very friendly and diverse, for sure. Ian and Yvonne were both helpful, even giving us both verbal and very detailed typed "tours" that were critical for us as we did not know the area very well. The only issue is that you need much more time to do all the things that are available to you, since you will also be torn about staying at the Inn a lot too since it is comfortable, inviting, and friendly.

Accommodations were impressive too. The room was very clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable (see the aforementioned immediate nap for evidence of this) and the whole room was more than satisfactory. We were very happy with the accomodations.

The sights were great, I already mentioned the verbal and typed directions/tours. We used this information from Ian and Yvonne extensively. Again, the only problem you'll have is time. That isn't a problem if you come back, like we plan to!

Oh, and personally I was very happy to learn that Ian was a professional drummer for many years since I work in the industry. His stories about that were definitely something I was VERY interested in and can't wait to hear more upon a future visit. Ian also had varying interests beyond music, so expect great conversation (Yvonne also has way more knowledge than food which seems to be her expertise). Great great great stuff all around!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Garden Gate Get-A-Way Bed & Breakfast
The Inn at Honey Run
The Inn at Honey Run
#4 of 12 in Millersburg

Been to White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!