Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast
US$106
US$66
US$73
TripAdvisor
All reviewsatwood lakeb blake activitiesour honeymoonthoroughly enjoyed our staymemorial day weekendrelaxing staygreat roomlake viewlakeviewhostsohio
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This was our first experience at a B&B, and ever since we were given a gift certificate from my brother and his wife, who were actually engaged at this B&B in 2004, we were very excited to try it out for ourselves. We drove in from Pittsburgh and arrived about 30 minutes prior to check-in. We decided since the website had no policy regarding early arrivals we would take a chance and see if our room was available.

The keypad on the front door had a post it with a four digit code on it, assuming it was for guests, we let ourselves in. Linda was startled to see us, to say the least, and practically scolded us, saying the post-it on the door was for the massage therapist, not guests, and we should always ring the doorbell....She then suggested we go "take a ride" until our 3 o'clock check in, or sit and wait until our room was ready. We were a bit put off so we decided to leave and come back. After driving around aimlessly on country roads for about 40 minutes we arrived back at the B&B around 3:10 and were told her husband was making some "last minute repairs to the room", so we waited in the great room for a few moments until we were escorted to the garden room.

Upon entering, Linda showed us how to work the whirlpool tub, fireplace and noticed the lamp on the fireplace was broken/not working. Hmm, a small let down but not a huge deal. After exploring the room we found there was no balcony like we were promised on the website, and only one bath robe hanging in the closet. We appreciate antiques and the styling throughout the B&B but were not necessarily "crazy" about our room, however we decided we would make the best of it. A few hours later ordered dinner from a local restaurant suggested by the innkeeper- We called and placed our order, then called Linda to see if she could let us know when the food arrived, she seemed bothered by this request and even mentioned that she was busy with something, but said that yes, she would let us know. After that phone call, we felt a little uncomfortable so we decided to get dressed and go downstairs to wait for the food ourselves. (The food was very good, so that was a plus).

The next morning, we were almost relieved to eat our breakfast and get on our way. We went downstairs and we were served a delicious breakfast of baked pears, apple cinnamon pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage. This was nice...

When we checked out, we told Linda we had a gift certificate we wanted to use and she immediately became upset and firmly told us that when using a gift certificate, you should ALWAYS tell the business up front. Her husband Bill, who was very nice and addressed us by name a few times, said that they get charged from the credit card company if they have to change the amount, which is understandable, however- the website said nothing about gift certificates when we made our reservation. We are both young professionals and felt like children being scolded by strangers. It was almost embarrassing and we were glad to leave.

Upon arriving home and recounting our experience... I decided to look up the original reservation confirmation I received in my email...Only to find that we had booked the Jasmine Room....NOT the Garden Room....So, it's no wonder we were not crazy about the decor and the room had no balcony. The B&B was clearly not full as we saw a few empty rooms, so I have no idea as to why we were unable to stay in the room we had originally requested. This experience left much to be desired, we will not be return customers.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Haley B
pineswhisper, Owner at Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Rather than respond to your individual issues, I would like to say I'm sorry you had those issues. After 23 years of innkeeping, we know things can happen that are out of our control. We always try to do our best but at times we may miss the mark and for this I apologize.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Once again the select registry guided us to another B&B treasure. My husband and I had a mini trip here at whispering pines. Linda's famous cookies were waiting for us when we arrived. After riding over 2 hours, coffee and a cookie were just perfect! The photos online really do nothing for the entire property. The downstairs great room is full of games and local attractions as well as menus and dining options. Hot water for tea, coffee and snacks were ready in the kitchenette area. We were the only guests there so we toured the other rooms. My suggestions for anyone trying to decide on a room, get a king bed and our favorite rooms were the oak room and the honeymoon suite. Don't get me wrong, the other rooms were all beautiful but when we stay next time we will be in one of those 2.. Linda made dinner reservations for us at the hart mansion. Not only was the dinner super the place is amazing! Also if you are a wine enthusiast, visit Al-Bi winery right down the road! You will glad you did!! Breakfast was one that we will talk about when comparing B&B's! Outstanding! We can't wait to visit again when the weather is warm and we can enjoy more of the lake area!

Room Tip: Oak room or honeymoon suite were our favorite rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
pineswhisper, Owner at Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

We are proud to be members of Select Registry as we all strive to provide a memorable experience to our guests. I'm so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your visits over the years.
You are correct about Hart Mansion and Al Bi Winery -both are very nice. Thank you for the nice comments and we'll look forward to seeing you again when the warm weather arrives and you can enjoy the lake activities.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful 2 night stay at Whispering Pines B&B. Being the middle of January, the weather was snowy and icy. The walkways were always cleared and salted. Hot water and coffee were always ready and the sun room always welcoming. We used our electric fireplace in our room a lot to snuggle up next to. Mattress was nice and firm, we could tell that it must be new!

Upon arrival, Linda greeted us at the door, had us take our shoes off and put on slippers that they provide (helps with all the salt and snow getting treked through the house, beauiful hardwoods and area rugs would be ruined!). I thought this was a fabulous touch. Linda then showed us right to our room with some short explanations on what to expect. I liked that we didn't have to "checkin" and get all "squared away" before we even enjoyed ourselves. Homemade chocolate chip cookies were waiting for us in the room and the BOSE CD player was playing some nice ocean sounds (we actually loved it so much, we kept it on the entire weekend!!) There is not a television in the room which caused PANIC at first for me, but my husband talked me off the ledge and said we would enjoy ourselves even more because of that!

I love that Linda and Bill use green initiatives in their cleaning processes and they don't generate a lot of waste. They are very aware of that. No paper cups/plates, vinegar in laundry instead of fabric softener, recycle, etc.

The daily Breakfast was wonderful! Everything was served hot and fresh to our table and Clyde the Crocodile chalkboard would have a listing of what we could expect each morning. I am a tea drinker and there was a lot of different quality teas to choose from.

The Area: there isn't a whole lot to do in the middle of January (especially on a Sunday)...but restaurants were delicious (we went the Firehouse Pub & Grille). A lot was closed on Sunday which was our full day there, but we managed and just driving around was relaxing.

I will for sure recommend Whispering Pines B&B for sure and we hope to be back again. Thanks for a wonderful stay Bill and Linda. You've created a wonderful escape for people to enjoy each other, nature and quiet.

Room Tip: I think any room is just fine, but we were on the first floor in the Victorian Rose room. No view, which was fine with us, but easy and convenient on the first floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
pineswhisper, Owner at Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Thank you so much for leaving a review and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Whispering Pines. It is another cold day on the lake and I'm relaxing with a hot cup of tea. Bill & I will look forward to seeing you both again when the sun is out and the weather is warmer.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We were looking for a special romantic getaway for our 12th wedding anniversary and we found it at the Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast. This was our second visit at Whispering Pines, and it was even better than the first. The lavish accomodations were once again superb. The facilities were once again exquistly stimulating and immaculate. The food was once again delicious and filling. In short, everything was 5-star quality. What made this visit particularly special was the hospitality shown by the owner and innkeeper, Linda Horn. Linda was warm and accomodating, and she went above and beyond to make our stay extrordinary. Thank you Linda and Bill for a unique experience that we won't forget. We can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: 9 uniqely furnished rooms with fireplace, jacuzzi, balcony, Bose music, and all the comforts. All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went here for a 2 night stay(Friday and Saturday night). We arrived around 7 pm and was greeted by the owner. She showed us around a little bit and proceeded to show us our room. Our room was beautiful! Queen sized bed, huge jacuzzi tub(great amenity) in the room, fireplace, and a deck outside. Our bathroom had a large shower and was overall spacey.

I could go on about how nice and cozy the room was but you can go online and view each room. We had the Victorian Rose suite.

Each morning we had an AMAZING breakfast made by the owner(Linda) and my girlfriend had coffee delivered in the morning when requested. The dining area had 9 tables so that we had our own table to sit at and enjoy the view of the lake. Our first breakfast on Saturday morning consisted of fruit salad, and banana bread. We then had a salsa egg puff, hash browns and ham (SOOO GOOD) It was accompanied by fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee.

Our second breakfast on Sunday morning was citrus and apple salad, and assorted breakfast breads. We then had French toast(which was very thickly cut and delicious) and sausage. Also with orange juice and coffee. We both looked forward for breakfast because of how good it was.

We had a lot of privacy and quietness. Unfortunately we didn't get to meet Bill but Linda was very welcoming and made us feel at home! They had a lot of neat antiques and collectibles around the house, some of which were for sale. I bought a few coffee mugs that I can't wait to use.

I know I am missing a few detailed things that we enjoyed, but I covered the main topics.

We are a sort of a picky and particular couple who notice every detail of places we stay, and I can honestly say that this place was near perfection! I am in the hospitality business, so I very much appreciate what Linda and Bill do. Every inch of the house was spotless and things seemed to be set meticulously in place. It was our first bed and breakfast experience and it won't be our last. Whispering Pines has converted us from Hotel goers, to privately owned places like this. I will be back again in the future and will be reviewing again! Thanks again so much for everything!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
pineswhisper, Owner at Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Your amazing experience left an amazing review and I really appreciate it. You said many wonderful things and I enjoyed reading it. I will look forward to seeing you both again and this time we'll make sure you meet Bill. I'll also make sure you get another delicious, but different breakfast. Thank you again.
Linda