“You Get What You Pay For...”
Review of 77 Inn & Grill

77 Inn & Grill
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Inn for two nights, which was about as much as we could take, quite honestly. The room itself was relatively clean, but it did have a "unclean" smell to it. The king size bed, while not too uncomfortable, came with pillows which seemed to be filled with cottage cheese--very, very uncomfortable. The air conditioning unit, which looked like it had been built in the sixties, could not handle the blazing heat of the days we stayed there. The high setting didn't move the air very well and it took until 4 to 5 in the morning before the room would be completely cool--only to heat up again as the heat of the day took over. The shower was built for Munchkin Land inhabitants, and the first morning we used it, the hot water was lukewarm and not very hot. The TV was as old as the air conditioning unit, but fortunately had color. The only positives I can list about this room is that it did have a small refrigerator and a microwave and the free Wi-Fi was very convenient. Other than that, the experience was not a very good one at American Best Value Inn, and I would not recommend this place to anyone. Next time, I'll spend a little more money and get a place that is not only of better quality, but much closer to Amish country.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room at this Inn, is my advixe.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David P
Anjum5, General Manager at 77 Inn & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

We at Americas Best Value Inn would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. This valuable feedback enables us to make improvements where needed.We are glad to hear you enjoyed the ammenities such as the refrigerator and WiFi in your King room.we strive at providing our customers with convenience at an economical price. Upon investigation, I have found the air conditioning to be in good working order. The extreme temperatures of 102+ would have made it difficult to keep the room as cool as it would have otherwise. This room has recently been remodeled including new paint and carpeting which may have been the smell you mentioned. I would like to mention, had you informed us of your dissatisfaction with the room, we would gladly have moved you to another. Thank You!!

Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stopped at this motel while visiting the Sugarcreek area. While the location was not bad (right off I-77), we were not at all pleased with the room. We should have known this was not going to be good when, while we were checking in, another guest came in to say he just checked in and his room was not made up. When we got to our room, the room was very dated, it smelled musty, and there was so much dust on the bedside lamp that you could write your name in it. The mattress was old and lumpy. The television had such poor reception that you could barely see it. And the door had a big gap in the bottom, so who knows what could make their way in. Needless to say, we did not stay the entire night, as we were just too uncomfortable staying there!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank madtown_12
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thanks for sharing your experience. I apologize for your unpleasant experience. Usually its a good idea to let the front desk know, If you don't find your room as expected so we can change your room or fix a problem while you still here. Most of the times problem can be fix just making one phone call to front desk. We also have newly redone deluxe rooms available with slightly higher price.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

This place is the worst hotel that my family and I have ever stayed in! The owner is scammer, the rooms are old and gross! Bed bugs (we think), shower was gross, sink gross, carpet gross, run down

Avoid!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank Big_golfer007
Anjum5, Public Relations Manager at 77 Inn & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Americas Best Value Inn has submitted this review as suspicious due to its content and the slanderous comments made toward the owner. Please be advised before taking any of its content into consideration. Unfortunately, there are people in this world who take out their aggression on others just to be vindictive.

Reviewed 2 December 2011

We stayed there one night this week. It was "okay" for the one night we stayed, but I would not want to stay longer than that. Our room had neither a microwave or a fridge, something that typically comes standard in most hotels within this price range nowadays. That was fine for one night, but would be unacceptable for a longer stay. The bathroom was very outdated and the shower was awful. I am not a tall person, and it was still too short for me. I couldn't imagine how a tall person would shower in there. The room was too dark, there was wallpaper peeling off the wall, and although we got a lot of channels, there was no point in watching them because the TV is as old as a dinosaur. The beds were only mildly comfortable, with cheap flat pillows. The towels were grey. Basically, the place is just old and not exceptionally well cared for.

On the other hand, it was at least clean. No mysterious stains on the couch, relatively dust free, and no bugs as far as I could see (including no bedbugs... and I ALWAYS check for bedbugs). My room, at least, didn't have the "mildewy" smell that some older hotels can get. There were good locks on the doors with (although some rooms still have the old regular "key" locks I noticed). And my favorite part was the "castle" theme of the room, which I got a kick out of. The area is also nice. The staff seemed pretty nice. And finally, there's a Bob Evan's right next to the parking lot... which is a good this because the free breakfast at the hotel is a joke. The food is awful and the toaster looks like it caught fire several times.

If I do get a manager's response, please please please just address this one issue. The kind of toaster you have is only like $15. Seriously. Just get a new one for God's sake.

Room Tip: I would say to just ask if you can see the room before you check in since there seems to be so much...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank S V
Anjum5, General Manager at 77 Inn & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Thank you for your review. It was interesting if not somewhat entertaining. In response I would like to say that we at Americas Best Value Inn value the opinions of our guests. For future reference we do offer Deluxe rooms as well as King Suites which include coffee pot, microwave, refrigerator etc.. You stayed in one of our standard rooms which was priced to fit your budget. As for the FREE continental breakfast, I feel you must be mistaken as we offer white & wheat bagels w/ cream cheese & jelly, cheerios,corn flakes, fresh fruit, oatmeal, english muffins,pop tarts, danish,orange juice, milk, coffee, and a waffle maker in which you can make a homemade waffle complete with toppings. Again, we appreciate your review but if you would have brought any legitimate complaint to our attention we would gladly fix the problem. Oh and I'm not sure what God has to do with the toaster but upon investigation i found it to be in excellent working condition. I see no reason to replace it.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I just returned home yesterday from a trip to Amish Country. We spent two nights in a double-bed room with microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot. The room was clean and fresh. It was cold on arrival, but quickly warmed up with the heater. The continental breakfast was perfect. The waffles being my favorite part both mornings! Even the bagels and cream cheese, cold cereal and orange juice were great. The staff was very friendly and willing to ensure we had everything we need. The channel line-up on the list in the room was not up to date, but a simple call to the desk helped with finding HBO. It is listed as channel 11, but was on 21. We could have used more towels, but I am sure they would have been provided had we just asked. I would stay here again tomorrow and really didn't want to leave. Another note was that the pillows were not the greatest, but some people bring their own and I am sure we could have again asked for more, but chose not to. Overall, the location to Amish Country is perfect. It is centrally located to many attractions. You can be in the heart of it all (flea markets, shops, restaurants, mall, grocery stores and more) within minutes. I can't wait for our next trip! Now we know what things we want to see and do and I am sure my second trip to the area will be just as wonderful. I give this Americas Best Value Inn & Suites a 5 ranking, but they delivered on everything that was promised and it truly was a bargain rate!

Room Tip: Rooms in the building where the actual office and lobby are ideal since this is closest to the ice m...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Anjum5, General Manager at 77 Inn & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Thank you Laura for the great review. We appreciate your honest and tactful feedback. It enables us to see where we need to make improvements as well as what satisfies the guest. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 26 October 2011

My mom, aunt & I stayed in this location for a birthday girls' trip. Needless to say, we won't be staying here again. The heater in the room did not function well, there was a musty old smell to the room, the room did not feature amenities it was supposed to have per the reservation, the shower was in need of repair, we found gross things in the sheets, not just under the main comforter, the continental breakfast was simply a waffle iron that didn't function correctly, and the restroom in the lobby was broken for our entire stay. I enjoyed the local area, but will NEVER stay at this location again. For the few dollars we saved, we could have stayed at a much nicer location we found the next day...

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Anjum5, Manager at 77 Inn & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

We want to first extend out thanks to you for choosing our establishment for your lodging needs. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay.Our goal is customer satisfaction. That being said, had we known of your dissatisfaction with your room, we would gladly have given you a different room upon notification. We cannot correct a problem if we are not aware of it.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

My sisters and I stayed in what was supposed to be a "super deluxe" room.We called the front desk and asked where the microwave and mini fridge was that was listed when we booked online.The clerk said they do that online all the time and even though we had a printout they had no manager on duty to even hook up these amenities if they had a deluxe room available.(Which they didn't) My sister found an insole out of someone's shoe and dog hair in her bed.The continental breakfast was a basket with 3 apples,a small container of cheerios,a waffle iron,coffee,and in a small fridge was a small part of a gallon of milk and an even smaller amt. of juice.We paid $82.00 for this SUPER DELUXE treatment.The area was beautiful,but we will never stay here again.I'd rather sleep in my car and eat breakfast at a convenient mart!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

We at Americas Best want to thank you for sharing your experience with us. We apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. Although booking online is very convenient, it is not always perfect. It is always a good idea to confirm your reservation with the hotel itself in order to ensure desired room amenities. This particular night our hotel was full and we were unable to give you a different room. We would have gladly reimbursed you had you made us aware upon check in. We appreciate your input on the COMPLIMENTARY breakfast. We have since added several additional items.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dover
Comfort Inn Dover
Comfort Inn Dover
#2 of 3 in Dover
The Schoenbrunn Inn & Conference Center
The Schoenbrunn Inn & Conference...
#4 of 6 in New Philadelphia
Ramada Limited Strasburg Dover
Berlin Resort
Berlin Resort
#3 of 5 in Berlin
Comfort Suites Berlin Hotel & Conference Center

Been to 77 Inn & Grill? Share your experiences!