“Too many issues.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dover
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Too many issues.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The room was what you would expect for the price. Mostly clean.....but our room deadbolt did not work and when we complained were told the maintenance man had went home. There was a private party in the bar and grill that night and the music was so loud to the point the walls were vibrating. We were told that the hotel could not do anything about how loud it was because it was a private party.....REALLY??

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Gainesville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

the room was a "dump" we reserved a double bed but something happened to our room, we could upgrade to a dinette room. We got to the room, it smelt horrid, they had told us the couch had a pull out bed. Well the couch was all stained up and we were afraid to even open it up. The pillows were flatter then flat and only 2. the toilet was so low to the floor my mom couldn't even attempt to go on it. the light over the sink was i'm sure not up to code as far as it was slapped wired together. the towels in the bathroom looked like they were used. the tub very very dirty. The dead bolt lock on the door was broken and the door didn't shut properly. We had 3 kids with us and the motel had a bar hooked on to it. ( not to safe feeling ) We attempted to sleep but couldnt. I went out at 1 am and found a hotel with rooms available I went back picked up my family and we left. Never stayed there even 2 hrs. It was the worst experience ever. I give it a 2 thumbs down and wouldn't even let my dogs stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Anjum5, Manager at 77 Inn & Grill, responded to this review, 18 December 2014
Sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay and Thanks for sharing your experience. In our newly renovated rooms we have upgrade all of our toilets. Our kitchenette rooms equipped for extended stay and we have done upgrades in those rooms to cater our long term guests .

Travellers are raving about these Dover hotels

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Traveled to Ohio for 2013 Hall of Fame ceremonies. We booked the hotel 2 months ahead and got a great rate per night! The new management was upset we were given such a low rate because all other hotels raised there rates for the weekend. This place is located right off the interstate, very old hotel! Very old room design, carpet, beds prob same since 70's. The new owners are renovating and building a pretty cool sports bar on the grounds, and Dover is a pretty cool little town about 20 miles South of Canton. If you just need a place to crash, it's a good place, but if you take your family you will never here the end of it!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Scavino
welland ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

l have stayed at this chain before and when l booked the picture on the computer looked not much different than we have stayed before so we were really shocked when we arrived....it is very very very run down, very easy to be broken in the doors had horrible cracks in them....we got a really good price which should have alerted me to something and l do know you cannot trust a chain name anymore like you used to be able to....my brother booked a room also....the only thing l can say is the people that were running it were very very nice,. and very accomodating.. they really really need to put some major work into this place but they made it as clean as they possibly could under the deterioating conditions...l would rate it a 2 not one point more but like l said the people were nice but very false advertising on the internet...l would not stay there again only if l really had to....but they are working on renovating so hopefully it will change...

Room Tip: drive up rooms only and front doors did not make me feel very safe..our front door had such a crack...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TheMurrays_12
Gambier, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I was not expecting a 5 star motel, but for the price I would not expect to find mud, dirt and someone's abandoned ice cooler right out side my door. I would also expect soap, shampoo, an alarm clock and somewhat reliable internet service. The big dead bug on the wall in the spider web kept me company while I watched TV where about 1/3 of the chanels were fuzzy and there was no sound on one chanel... The TV guide card was accurate, though.....
The glazing in the bottom of the bathroom sink was all cracked with black mold in the cracks. Some of the electric outlets were broken inside and did not grip the plug-ends. There was a eco-friendly reminder to please hang up your towels to save laundry water...but the only towel rod was located very inconveniently behind the bath door. No rod by the sink....
The bed was comfortable, the carpet was not sticky, the neighbors were not too noisy most of the time, the heater worked without complaint, and the toilet paper rolled off the bottom of the roll....the opposite way for most people in the northern hemisphere.
Would I go back again? Not if I can get into the motel that is 6 miles down the road that is $25 cheaper, and has none of the qualities of this motel above......

Room Tip: Go to the motel down the road that is $25 cheaper. You will not be disappointed then....
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ConstructionWorker
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

No stars for this borderline prison like motel of the cheapest, dirtiest, sketchiest room I have ever stayed in, in my life.

From the beginning the check in area was guarded like a New York City flop house. I received my room key only after having to hand over my license to the manager for his records-very uncomfortable knowing someone has all my important information on file.

We open our door and a room with a foul damp a/c and old smoke filled room greeted us. The light above the bed and another in the middle of the room were reminiscent of harsh rough bug lights my family use to keep outside of our porch. The sheets and (2) thin pillows on our double bed were a faded purple color (wtf)?! - worse yet the bed had no box spring and this only seemed to be so someone couldn't hide something beneath the beds.

The walls were a hideous white with dull neon green "sponge-mark" designs. The carpets a sad dark maroon that I only hope everyone keeps their shoes and socks on, and all lights off to keep your mind from actually thinking.

The bathroom featured a quaint buzzing fluorescent tube prison lighting with a sink that hasn't seen an update since Norman Bates's mother was alive walking the earth.  The bathroom highlights were the worlds cheapest shower head spraying all water in that "middle school shower mist" that made you cringe even then.

For $70 a night, I would have paid triple to stay at a Motel 6 instead of this place. Stay at your peril. By the way, I couldn't leave 0 stars so Yelp made me post 1.

Room Tip: Comfort inn on night 2 was everything we needed. I also recommend country inn and suites or Hampton...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ski_and_Beachcomber
Anjum5, General Manager at 77 Inn & Grill, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our hotel. We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing good service and quality accommodations at an affordable price. That being said, I believe your review was harsh as well as overly exaggerated. The room you occupied was recently remodeled. This particular room was updated with new carpet, paint and furniture. I'm not sure how you know about the inside of prisons or New York City flop houses but I assure you your comparison is anything but correct. Thank You again for sharing your "review" with us.
Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

The bathroom fixtures were dirty and terribly worn. The comode ran constantly,There was no iron or ironing board in the room, the Internet did not work and the room had a musty oder. I would not recommend this to anyone until they do some major renovations with the tub, toilet and bath.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. Your input can be a valuable asset to our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the ants in your room. Although we exterminate, we are an outside corridor hotel making it easy for ants to gain access. In many cases it is caused by food being dropped on the floor or left on counters by the guest. I'm curious as to why you did not address these issues with front desk upon check in. We would have gladly changed your room for you or given you towels that you could not "see through". Again, thank you for review and have a great day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dover
Berlin Resort
Berlin Resort
#3 of 4 in Berlin
Berlin Grande Hotel

Been to 77 Inn & Grill? Share your experiences!