“Stay Elsewhere”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
FL
“Stay Elsewhere”
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Hotel has no internet access which made it difficult to check in online for flight home (had to go to the Best Western next door!). Although the front desk staff was friendly, they were no help as they said they had no computer or printer either!
Beds were uncomfortable and double not queen.

• Disliked — No Business center/internet access
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Midwest
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend in September 2007 for it "Pet Friendly policy" and there was a pool for my son to play in. He was positivley giddy about this fact. A Mom and son trip and a pool!!

The hair dryer was broken and the outlet that one would most logically plug an iron into was not working.

The staff was very polite but didnt have answers for much of anything. Odd

Also, apparently there is a shrine of sorts locally and huge gathering of people make the trip to the area annually (?).

I thought it odd and inconvenient for all involved as the hotel set up this religous group in a room between the pool and the main foyer.

One could not get to nor from the OVER CHLORINATED pool (as in eyes burning and I am not even in the water) without triapsing thru the back of the room where this goup was meeting.

I wont stay here again

Travellers are raving about these Elyria hotels

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We checked in late (midnight) on a weekday into a king room, which was fairly nicely decorated. Upon pulling back the sheets, my husband discovered a sealed plastic bag with the remnants of cookies or brownies in it. He called the front desk to inform the woman there, who offered to have a new set of linens brought up. We declined, as (1) it appeared that there were no crumbs or other items directly on the sheets, and (2) we were exhausted. It occured to us only the next day that most likely the sheets were never changed from the prior guest - which made us feel like we needed a Karen Silkwood decontamination shower!

Note that there was no apology from the front desk, nor an offer to have us change rooms. I can only assume that had we taken her up on her offer for new sheets, we would have had to make the bed ourselves.

The next morning my husband took the "evidence" down to the front desk, where he was met with a shrug and a mention of it being a housekeeping issue. When I tried to elicit at least an apology from someone, a young woman at the desk said, gee, I just got here, and an older woman wouldn't even look at me. Please note that neither my husband nor I raised our voices or made threats - we just wanted someone to admit that they screwed up!

My husband and I have done quite a bit of traveling in the past 30 years. We have NEVER complained to anyone about a stay at an economy hotel, because we understand that you get what you pay for, and all we are looking for is a clean, quiet place to stay for about 10 hours. We have been in more Red Roof Inns than I could possibly count, and have always been generally satisfied. This, however, was truly unacceptable, and you can bet we'll be contacting the corporate office, as well as whatever health board regulates this hotel.

Stayed August 2007
southofpgh
Reviewed 23 August 2007

We were traveling in an u-haul to take our child to grad school as were another family with a pick-up truck. The desk personnel told us there would be room for parking the u-haul, and we had no problem fitting it into a regular spot. Also, the gas station was behind the Red Roof which was helpful with limited miles on the u-haul.
The service was fantastic evey time I called with questions about the rooms and the location since I was checking the internet too. I was asked to hold only once, and then they took care of me first. The ladies at the desk made you feel welcome before and after you got there. The rate was exactly what we wanted to pay, but we received much more for our money.
Some in our party took advantage of the pool and had an enjoyable time since it was open till 11pm. It is not that deep for the younger ones either.
We had time for a load of laundry too.
Do not forget the muffins and such in the am before you get on the road.
Noise was not a problem in the room or outside as well. There were a good many people of all ages in and out that night.
I liked the glass elevator to the 3rd. floor.
The bathroom in the 2 doubles room was small, but it was not a problem for a short overnight stay.
We asked for a copy of directions needed for our next stop, and they made 2 copies of one page happily for us.
We found an Arby's across the road to eat a quick dinner by just walking behind the Red Roof and crossing the street then going down the road by the trees.
There is a Dollar Store behind the Red Roof if you forget something. You can see the mall and other restaurants across the highway from the Red Roof.
The directions on the internet were great and got us right there in no time. It was easy to jump back on the turnpike where we got off and continue our travels.

• Liked — the low noise levels
  • Disliked — no cranberry juice
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank southofpgh
Lewisburg, PA
Reviewed 1 July 2007

We stayed here due to the pet friendly aspect. The room was clean and nice. The directions were not the best and the desk clerk was not able to help us at all (which was not good, beings it was late at night and we were in a terrible neighborhood looking for the hotel. Thankfully, it was the wrong neighborhood.) Luckily, we found a policeman that was great help. Overall, it was an ok hotel. We only stayed overnight on our way to Michigan. I would stay again. We found it on petfriendlyhotels.com. Great site if you are traveling with an animal as we do.

• Liked — pet friendly
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Temperance, Michigan
Reviewed 4 March 2007

This hotel was okay but I had a few minor problems when I stayed here the weekend of March 3rd. While taking a bath I had to let the tap run constantly because the water slowly drained out of the tub while it was plugged. The sink plug in the vanity did not stay down in the drain when it was closed. The exit door at the rear of the hotel was broke. You could exit the hotel but not enter through this door. The bathroom lighting was very poor.
On the positive side, I liked this hotel because it was one of the few Red Roof hotels that had interior corridors instead of units you enter from the outside. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The free continental breakfast was served in a nice sunroom next to the pool. I feel the problems I experienced were somewhat minor, so I would stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — It was a nicer hotel than most of the others in the Red Roof chain
  • Disliked — Poor bathroom lighting
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah 0729
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 March 2006

I've stayed at this Red Roof Inn several times since it changed from a Days Inn in 2005. It met my two main requirements, which is in-room high speed internet and an indoor pool.

The in-room high speed internet is my biggest complaint. I work on the road and need internet access. The Red Roof Inn has wireless access, which seemed nice at first. The problem is that the connectivity is so low that the connection drops out constantly unless you're in the bathroom next to the main hallway. Repeated complaints to the front desk over several stays have had no impact. If you need internet access and want an indoor pool, there is a Best Western within 500 yards that has both. The internet access there is not wireless, but it has never failed.

The pool is OK, the only complaint is that the towels are almost never in stock there. Plan on taking room towels or have someone at the front desk get some if they're out. The other problem is that if you will be going back to your room if you need to use the restroom. This can be annoying with children. Again, the Best Western nearby has a restroom in the pool area. The pool doesn't seem quite as big there, but it's compareble.

The rooms are OK for the type of hotel you're staying in. My last one had the security latch broken and the safe was still locked. According to the from desk, this was because the police had to kick down the door for some reason. I would think that they would put the room back in order before booking it again, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Overall, for the same money, pick the Best Western. This place has some work to do before it would warrent staying again. This is my last night here for sure.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elyria
Best Western Inn
Days Inn Amherst
#1 of 2 in Amherst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland/Sheffield
No photo provided

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria? Share your experiences!