“Smoky rooms, lousy food!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms, but they are on top of each other. Our room REEKED of cigarette smoke! Friends on another floor said the same thing.
The breakfast buffet is gross. Eggs are rubbery and tasteless. Not much selection - mostly cold cereal and dried out bagels.
Do NOT stay here!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites Elyria, OH we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We regret hearing that you were not satisfied with the “Be Our Guest” Breakfast. Our goal is to ensure fresh food is provided and that each item is available for all of our guests. I have addressed your comments with our breakfast host to ensure the proper breakfast items are being offered while maintaining quality. In regards to the odor I do understand your frustration when expecting to step into a non-smoking room and being overwhelmed by the smell of smoke. We try to maintain the odor from the other smoking rooms by using a de-smoking machine and spraying special fragrances, unfortunately despite our best efforts the smell still sometimes tends to travel through to the neighboring nonsmoking rooms and hallways. I am pleased to say we have begun converting all of our smoking rooms to non-smoking rooms to become a smoke free hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write your review as it gives us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies we may have in our service, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure similar situations do not occur again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our Thanksgiving drive to the midwest. We found the lobby with the fireplace warm and welcoming. I could have done without the candy dish and cookies at the front desk, but my husband and daughter thought they were cool. Check in was friendly and efficient. We reserved a suite and we were thrilled with the size and the layout. The bedroom had a door and our daughter had her own "room" in the livingroom with the pull out and her own tv. The refrigerator and microwave were convenient. Overall it was very clean, but the bathroom grout could have used a refresher. There were also a couple of small stains on the sheets. They were clean, but looking at the stains was a turn off and I think they should throw out sheets if they don't come clean. The pool was nice and warm. The hottub was nice as well. We were quite impressed with the breakfast. There was everything from oatmeal, boiled eggs and cereals to hot eggs, potatoes and fresh waffles. It was staffed by a very friendly person making it even that much more enjoyable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. Our guest rooms are to be cleaned at a level of high standards and it is prohibited at our hotel to take short cuts or provide less than excellent cleaning services. I regret hearing of your dissatisfaction in the cleanliness of the grout and the condition of the linen. I apologize for any inconveniences, and will discuss these conditions of your room with our housekeeping staff. I assure you we are working diligently to ensure similar situations do not occur again in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I booked this a couple days ago. I called tonight to cancel because I can't get there because of the snowstorm. Their response was too bad. No return of the money...not even an offer of a credit. And they were incredibly rude. I booked this through a platinum card and their travel representative couldn't believe it themselves but they called and confirmed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

the room was clean and neat. plenty of blankets and pillows. bathroom was also clean. bed was not too hard or soft. quiet area. breakfast was hot and fresh with plenty of items to choose from. wait staff was very friendly and made sure everything was taken care of. a very good experience.

• Stayed: November 2013
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

All of our staff here at the Country Inn & Suites, Elyria Oh wish to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We thrive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and it is wonderful to hear when we have succeeded. I have passed on all of your gracious comments to the appropriate departments. Thank you again for choosing us for your travel needs, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Could not latch the door because the latch was mounted backwards.
The HVAC was screwed up, I was glad that we could open the window.
The rooms were clean.
The breakfast was tepid, recommend the waffles if you want warm food.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write about your concerns you experienced during your recent stay at our hotel, and I would like to apologize for any inconveniences. I have addressed the door latch and A/C unit issues with our maintenance department for the necessary repairs. We thrive on providing a good, quality breakfast to all our guest to help start their day off right, and I regret hearing of your dissatisfaction. Your concerns have been addressed with our breakfast host, and further training has been implemented. I assure you we are working diligently to ensure similar situations do not occur again in the future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My father & I stayed as we passed through for a moved. We arrived just after 2 a.m. and I was greeted at the desk by Jennifer. She was wonderfully upbeat, kind & gave me room options for the night (along with a toothbrush & toothpaste). Could not have asked for a better person to greet me after a long drive. At check out the next morning I was greeted by an equally friendly Tiffany who gave us discount tickets to the R&R Hall of Fame & an extra set of toiletries for my travel, as I had misplaced mine. All staff in the hallways told us good morning & the cleaning staff was quiet & friendly.

CLEAN ROOM, PILLOW CHOICES, AND GOOD BRAND OF TOILETRIES!! I typically travel 4-5 days a week for work & have never felt so inclined to leave a positive review. Two-thumbs up!

• Stayed: October 2013

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites Elyria, we thank you for taking the time to write such kind words about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to the area. I have passed on your compliments to Jennifer and Tiffany and they were honored you mentioned them by name. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognize them for a job well done.

Regards,

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I traveled to Elyria as part of a group from our local non-profit. We were treated very fairly by the hotel manager who gave us a decent rate for our stay. When we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly and efficient desk clerk who easily handled our group's check in. He later recommended a nearby local restaurant which was a winner - great food and very reasonable prices.

The rooms were well decorated, very clean and had a small refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom was very large and clean.

I was a little apprehensive to see a youth sports team checking in as we returned from dinner, but none of us heard any of the racket you would associate with kids in a hotel.

In the morning, the breakfast buffet was terrific - a very big variety of selection including protein (hard boiled eggs, yogurt) along with the tempting cook-your-own waffles and bagels. The woman who oversaw the breakfast room was cheerful and friendly and worked very hard to keep everything well stocked and the tables cleaned up. (So many people just got up and left their plates and mess - it was pretty apparent that guests we supposed to bus their own tables.)

The only comment i would make is that there was only one woman working the checkout desk on a busy Sunday morning. She handled the rush efficiently and quickly, but it seems unfair that she would not have at least one other person to assist her. She should be commended for her professionalism.

I would recommend this hotel without question.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share such kind words about our hotel and services. We appreciate your business and look forward to assisting you on future travel needs. I have shared your comments with Tiffany our front desk associate whom was working that Sunday, and she was honored you mentioned her. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to recognize her for a job well done. We thrive on providing all our guests with consistently clean, quiet, comfortable stay followed by a quality breakfast to help start their day off right, and I am pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us.

Regards,

Michele

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elyria
Hampton Inn & Suites Elyria
The Hotel at Oberlin
The Hotel at Oberlin
#1 of 2 in Oberlin
Holiday Inn Express Vermillion

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria? Share your experiences!