Did you know that the Wright brothers developed the worlds first practical and controllable aircraft from out of a high class cycle shop in Dayton , Ohio? Well, of course you do, but the funny thing is that all three of the people I asked for directions to the preserved cycle shop had not heard of the Wright brothers or their earth changing and amazing invention. They were actually fascinated to hear about this and learn that 'aircraft' had even been 'invented'. I would take a wild guess that history is not the top subject in local schools!
This hotel, on the other hand, is perfect for pilots and aviation freaks. It is out of town so not very close to either the cycle shop or the park with a reproduction of the second shop they used when producing their first planes (Henry Ford took the original up to his own museum in Michigan) but the reproduction has an original Wright Flyer worthy of a 3000 mile detour.
This hotel is, however , just down the road from the Wright Brothers memorial and also near to Huffmann Field where they flew their machines after the first flights in Carolina. The field is still remote and secret, exactly as the brothers wanted it, so they could develop their invention in private. Then just down the road is the USAF Museum at the vast Wright Patterson air base where, incidentally, German war criminals were housed who had been brought to America in Operation Paperclip, Later they helped design space suits for NASA and people forgot that they had frozen concentration camp inmates and used bizarre methods to try to resuscitate them. There were also chemists who had developed Hitlers advanced poison gas stockpile - it being a miracle that Hitler was rather against the use of gas in warfare (he had experienced gas in the first war and did not regard it as 'cricket'). They developed Agent Orange used in SE Asia (and those left behind in Germany were connected to the development of Thalidomide). So some appalling war criminals lived in the base in the 40s but today there is no mention of this.
So , to get to somewhat nearer the point , there is probably the worlds finest aircraft museum. A magnificent range of aircraft often most imaginatively displayed.ie a full scale diorama of the pilot who, in his pyjamas. not only managed to take off his obsolescent Curtis Tomahawk at the height of the Pearl Harbor attack but managed to shoot down some of the enemy. Another factoid; the authorities were scared that Japanese Hawaiians might sabotage the armoured hangers near the road so they had all their planes lined up near the runways in neat rows.
Am I getting any nearer to reviewing the hotel? Yes! It is a tiny bit difficult to find , just off the main road towards the university: the GPS did not like that. Once in it seemed like a typical really good Holiday Inn .Service top quality, room very comfortable and totally clean. I, like some others, did not have the breakfast which seemed a ludicrous price, but the girls say that the price has now been slashed but not yet put into the room info booklet. For evening meal there are at least 50 restaurants within half a mile and a huge shopping centre as well. I had an excellent curry in one.
So if American invention and industry dominated the first half of the 20th century, then fine, comfortable hotels is what America does best today.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn, is conveniently located to downtown Dayton, Ohio with easy access on and off Interstate I-675. The Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn is near Wright Patterson Air Force Base and provides convenient access to all WPAFB areas and gates. We are the ideal full-service hotel for your next event, whether it be a conference, convention, meeting, banquet, military reunion or wedding. With state-of-the-art audio visual services, superior catering, and exceptional service the Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn, will ensure your event is a memorable one. This Fairborn, OH hotel is near Wright State University, the Wright Executive Center, Ervin J. Nutter Center, downtown Dayton and near the Mall at Fairfield Commons, The Greene and The National Museum of the United States Air Force. If you are seeking a hotel near WPAFB, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, or a hotel near the National Center for Medical Rediness Tactical Laboratory (Calamityville), the Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn, OH hotel is just minutes away from all.Regardless of your needs, the Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn, OH hotel has the staff, the experience, and the facilities to make your stay a memorable one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn i-675 Hotel Fairborn
- Holiday Inn Fairborn
- Fairborn Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675 Ohio