“Great for Aviation Enthusiasts”

Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Fairborn
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Did you know that the Wright brothers developed the worlds first practical and controllable aircraft from out of a high class cycle shop in Dayton , Ohio? Well, of course you do, but the funny thing is that all three of the people I asked for directions to the preserved cycle shop had not heard of the Wright brothers or their earth changing and amazing invention. They were actually fascinated to hear about this and learn that 'aircraft' had even been 'invented'. I would take a wild guess that history is not the top subject in local schools!

This hotel, on the other hand, is perfect for pilots and aviation freaks. It is out of town so not very close to either the cycle shop or the park with a reproduction of the second shop they used when producing their first planes (Henry Ford took the original up to his own museum in Michigan) but the reproduction has an original Wright Flyer worthy of a 3000 mile detour.

This hotel is, however , just down the road from the Wright Brothers memorial and also near to Huffmann Field where they flew their machines after the first flights in Carolina. The field is still remote and secret, exactly as the brothers wanted it, so they could develop their invention in private. Then just down the road is the USAF Museum at the vast Wright Patterson air base where, incidentally, German war criminals were housed who had been brought to America in Operation Paperclip, Later they helped design space suits for NASA and people forgot that they had frozen concentration camp inmates and used bizarre methods to try to resuscitate them. There were also chemists who had developed Hitlers advanced poison gas stockpile - it being a miracle that Hitler was rather against the use of gas in warfare (he had experienced gas in the first war and did not regard it as 'cricket'). They developed Agent Orange used in SE Asia (and those left behind in Germany were connected to the development of Thalidomide). So some appalling war criminals lived in the base in the 40s but today there is no mention of this.

So , to get to somewhat nearer the point , there is probably the worlds finest aircraft museum. A magnificent range of aircraft often most imaginatively displayed.ie a full scale diorama of the pilot who, in his pyjamas. not only managed to take off his obsolescent Curtis Tomahawk at the height of the Pearl Harbor attack but managed to shoot down some of the enemy. Another factoid; the authorities were scared that Japanese Hawaiians might sabotage the armoured hangers near the road so they had all their planes lined up near the runways in neat rows.

Am I getting any nearer to reviewing the hotel? Yes! It is a tiny bit difficult to find , just off the main road towards the university: the GPS did not like that. Once in it seemed like a typical really good Holiday Inn .Service top quality, room very comfortable and totally clean. I, like some others, did not have the breakfast which seemed a ludicrous price, but the girls say that the price has now been slashed but not yet put into the room info booklet. For evening meal there are at least 50 restaurants within half a mile and a huge shopping centre as well. I had an excellent curry in one.

So if American invention and industry dominated the first half of the 20th century, then fine, comfortable hotels is what America does best today.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
VMeyers, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you so much for writing such an awesome review and promoting the great area/community we're engaged with. We were thrilled to have you at our hotel and equally happy that your stay was the very best! We look forward to having you back! Don't be a stranger.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Avoid this hotel and save yourself headaches. Stayed on a Friday night before my daughter's college graduation. From midnight on,there was extreme noise coming from the hallway. I looked out and there was a party across the hall, with the door open and people talking loudly in the hall. Music, alcohol, and drugs were all seen.
I called the front desk and 15 minutes later Security came up and said to them, be quiter, we have had "5 complaints". The party continued and several more calls to front desk. Party did not break up until 2 am. Two questions: why does the hotel allow loud parties into the hall and after repeated complaints does security not stop?
In the morning received a letter apologizing, breakfast coupon, and 5000 hotel points. Not even return room charge.
Beware and be warned.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear John P,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Fairborn.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I recently had to travel on business to the Dayton area and stayed at the awesome hotel. The staff, from the front desk to maintenance department were terrific. I am an IHG Rewards member and always look for the Holiday Inn Express brand when I do my traveling, but this place was more convenient. I will definitely be staying here again when I am back in the Dayton area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
VMeyers, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and I'm tickled to learn how well satisfied you were as a guest. That's our objective for each and every guest! Thank you as well, for sharing your experience and if there's anything we can do for your in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let us know by calling us directly. Hope you have a great week

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I had purchased the breakfast included online rate. When we went for breakfast in the morning, we were told to get our oatmeal from the buffet. Not a problem until I saw the stack of cereal bowls that had obvious dried food from earlier uses which had not been effectively washed off. When I finally found the male server to bring it to his attention, he solved the problem by visually sorting through the stack and picking out some that must have looked clean to him. When my husband and I returned to the buffet, the top few bowls still had dried food remnants clearly to be seen and felt. Very unconfidently, I selected a couple that showed no obvious dirt, and gave the server more dirty ones to return to the kitchen. We can understand that problems do occasionally happen. However the way the situation was dealt with, with the server, "manually pawing through the breakfast bowls" indicated clearly to me that safe food handling, and cleanliness are not effectively trained and focused on. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PA32pilot
Victoria M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and we have taken immediate action on your experience. While our lovely hotel is under new ownership and management as of very recently where many changes are on the horizon, but, it's no excuse for lack of cleanliness in any department, including F&B. The entire F&B team has been made aware of this information and has taken appropriate action to ensure another customer has a more improved experience. Once again, thank you for staying here and sharing your thoughts...we hope you try us again in the near future. In the meantime, happy travels and be well!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The hotel was nice enough, but I was not impressed. They do not offer free coffee all the time, only hot water. Breakfast is not included and the price at the restaurant is outrageous! Rooms are nice but do not come with fridges. Could not pick whether we wanted smoking or non when making the reservation. We added a request for smoking but there was none available when we arrived. Second shift clerk told us we could move the next day since we were staying two nights. The third shift clerk told us that all 4 of the smoking rooms checked out at 10pm and that one would be available the next day. The next day when we asked to move, we were told again that there were no smoking available even though we were told we could move. We decided to check out the next day because going outside to smoke was a pain in the butt. The staff could work harder at customer service. They never told us where our room was, we had to ask. They were having a dance the night we checked in, but no one at the desk mentioned it or asked if we were interested. Not one person asked us how our stay was or if we needed anything. Nice hotel, but I have seen better amenities with lower class motels with half the price. The best feature of our stay was the indoor pool which was why I gave the hotel 3 stars.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us back in February - I'm just sad to see overall your stay was far less than desirable. The property had just gone through a major new ownership and management with a shift in personnel - no doubt, much reflected in your experience. I must agree, it's still no excuse for the simple lack of service and minimal product you should have received. With some new personnel and new directions, no doubt, we've made some major improvements with our service. In addition, our entire hotel will be undergoing new renovations this coming fall - rooms, hallways, restaurant, meeting space, lobby - it's all very exciting! So, do try us again - I'm sure it will be like night and day! Thank you again, for sharing your experience. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I had a terrific stay on a short business trip. The staff was very professional and competent. Had two excellent dinners in their restaurant. Close to WPAFB and AF Museum, easy to find, lots of close convenient shopping and eateries.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Michael M, Manager at Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

MikePsy,

I am glad that you had a great experience at the Holiday Inn on your recent stay with us. I am a firm believer in the employees of a property make it extraordinary, and it seems that this was the case with your interactions with my staff! Next time you are in the Dayton area, please do not hesitate to give us a call for any accommodation needs you may have!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

A great clean and comfortable hotel within easy access of Dayton and the WPAFB Museum. Plenty of restaurants within easy walking. The management are very willing to help and are highly recommended. Plenty of parking is available too!

Room Tip: Stay away from i675