“Great room, poor breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Findlay Inn & Conference Center

Findlay Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Findlay
Tolland, Connecticut, United States
“Great room, poor breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The Hotel is very conveniently located for downtown Findlay. Despite the sub zero temperatures the Hotel and the room were quite warm. The room I got was very spacious, clean, and well appointed. You can just hear the occasional train pass by at night, but it is not disturbing at all, and apart from that the room was very quiet.The staff were very nice. The only disappointment was the breakfast. It really seemed like an afterthought, with an extremely limited selection of pre-packaged, cheap items. If you like fresh fruit, or anything freshly prepared, don't expect to get it here. Great rooms, but skip the breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Savannah, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

The place is very average, in the most mediocre sense of the word. The best view is of an auto dealership. The worst is a parking lot, I guess. The rooms are tired, the restaurant is uninspired. I could take all this, because the front desk staff are lovely, if it were not for the TRAIN. You are very close to tracks when you stay here, and trains are running CONSTANTLY, and you WILL hear them, very early and into the wee small hours.

Room Tip: I should have stayed one exit up on 157, lots of chain hotels.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Very happy with my one night stay there. The only thing that caused me to rate it as Very Good is the poor breakfast buffet. The room was great, well maintained and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Elk Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Starting with the positive - the rooms were a good size, clean and the beds were comfortable.
Front entrance was VERY difficult to find (not marked clearly- we drove around building twice). Desk clerks were disinterested, not even offering greetings when entering and re-entering hotel (and they were NOT busy). Hotel was about 90% empty on a Friday night. Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast did not exist - we went to the Tavern as the Guest Book in the room stated. Door was locked; but a sign on door said to use room key to enter - nope. Went to front desk and clerk said there was no breakfast service; but she could get us a box breakfast. Waited for 10-15 minutes - she brought back 2 boxes containing a small yogurt, apple, bottle of orange juice and muffin. Would definitely NOT stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 756carolp

Travellers are raving about these Findlay hotels

Genoa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I've stayed at the Finlay Inn on a business trip in October. Rooms are quite big, clean and simply furnished. Location is very central, just a few steps from main street. Service is friendly and very helpful. I would come back here on my next business trip to Findlay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was a little hesitant after reading some of the other reviews, but was actually quite impressed. If you've ever stayed in an Embassy, that's what the set up is like. You have the glass elevators, white linen tables, and interior rooms that can look down onto the banquet area.
The rooms are older, but ours and the other 2 rooms for our party, were very clean. All the beds were comfortable.
Location is great, and I didn't have any interataction with any of the staff, so I cannot speak to that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Findlay, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This past weekend my girlfriend and I went to a wedding reception at the Country Club. We then were shuttled to the Findlay Inn which were very excited about because we had heard and have known that it was quite a prestige hotel. I have stayed in many nice resorts and hotels on vacation all over the US and some around the world. I am sad to say that the Findlay Inn despite being a staple hotel of Findlay Ohio was a very big disappointment to us and some of the other guests. For us, the problem of course did not lie in the rooms which although under my expectations were at least average with the exception of having Keurig machines. The main issue was the customer service. We had booked a king bed and even checked the day before to make sure that there was no possible complications and that we would still get this room. We were assured that it was absolutely certain that we would have this king bed. When we arrived we were told that there were no king beds left and that we would have to stay in a double full bed room which proved to be terrible as the king bed would have diminished my partner's "bed hoggyness". When we asked about the chamge and informed staff of our call the day before, the staff member did not seem to be trying to be intentionally rude but seemed very apathetic and simply to a sign that said that specific rooms were not guaranteed. This was very upsetting because we had been assured that we had a king bed and the staff neglected to give us a simple apology. Not wanting this scenario to ruin the evening however we took the room keys and went up to our room without incident. Despite having to pay over $100 for this room (and this was at quite a large discounted rate because the wedding party had paid for part of it) the room was not what one would expect from such a reputable establishment. The room had no refrigerator or microwave and was quite basic. We called and asked them if they had a common room that everyone went to on each floor to use a microwave and without asking us whether we wanted them to bring one or not told us that they would bring the microwave to us. Now we felt very positive about this because we thought they were righting the wrong and that we were going to finally get some good customer service. We found out the next morning that they wanted to charge us and I don't remember the exact price but I believe it was close to $30 or perhaps $20; it was something overpriced. Moreover we had not been told that it would cost anything. I politely indicated my displeasure about not getting the king bedroom and then being charged an obscene amount of money to use a cheap microwave when we neither asked for it or were informed that it cost any money. The employee who had been polite at first, seemed apathetic now and unwilling to do anything about this. It took me quite a lot of prompting to try to get her to take off the microwave charge. However they did end up charging us the same for a king bedroom even though we were given the double bed. I was unable to get the employee to cut off a discount for that although I was able to get her to drop the microwave charge. This took a lot of prompting and this employee regardless of whatever reason that she was like this I felt did not respect my girlfriend and I and was not displaying adequate customer service. Had I not had the innadequate customer service experience I probably would have given this hotel an average as with exception of the Keurig machine this hotel in the room is not that much better then Red Roof Inn or other basic cheap hotels where rooms are very inexpensive. And at least at these establishments have a microwave and a refrigerator. I am sad to give such a low rating to a staple of Findlay Ohio; I love this town but it is important for these companies to be held accountableand to give good customer service. I hope that changes will be made at this hotel that will give them higher ratings in the future.

• Stayed September 2013