“Always a pleasant experience ...”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton South Franklin
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Franklin
Dayton, OH
“Always a pleasant experience ...”
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

During the past year we have stayed numerous times at this hotel. The rooms are always clean, as are the interior common rooms in the hotel. Staff is accommodating, and the breakfast is generally better than like facilities. I would highly recommend this convenient hotel located between Dayton and Cincinnati.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank jump4joys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I'd like to preface this review by respectfully asking the management representative (assigned to respond to negative Trip Advisor reviews) not to bother with the standard "Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention" or the obligatory "I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations", because such comments are entirely disingenuous from my perspective, and simply amount to damage control from yours. If you truly cared about my stay at your hotel, your name would be boldly displayed in my room during the stay, and I could contact you then, rather than being at the mercy of a staff member who could care less about having put me in a dirty room.

The check in on August 18, 2012 was quick and robotic.

About an hour after check-in, I went to have a shower. That's when I notice a glob of human hair caked to the side of the upper part of the bathtub/shower. And I don't just mean a small glob - it was huge, the hair was long, and there must have been 20 hairs caked to the side of the shower. The washroom floor was also dirty. Gross.

Since there was enough hair to clog the drain, I avoided dislodging it by tilting the shower head toward the curtain.

After my shower, I contacted the front desk and asked that someone be sent up to remove the hair glob before I had to shower the following morning. The desk clerk sounded reluctant and almost annoyed. She may as well have said, "Like whatever dude, just remove the hair yourself".

And true to expectations, nobody every came up to remove the hair glob. The following morning, having to get back on the road for a long drive ahead of me, and expecting little to no response from staff at this HIE if I called the lobby again, I fell over in the shower and smashed my head trying to avoid washing away the hair glob and clogging the tub's drain.

The room was generally dirty and dusty. The bed sheets, usually a high point of any HI or HIE stay, felt used and smelled slightly funky. They were not crisp and fresh as is normally the case. Did I contact the front desk? - no - because they hadn't bothered to send anybody up to deal with the glob of hair, so I didn't expect that they would send someone up to the room to deal with something as 'minor' as dirty sheets.

So again, HIE management rep. - don't bother with your little blurb making excuses. You need to be around when the front desk clerk chooses to ignore hotel guests with a legitimate complaint, and not appear later online to offer up useless after-the-fact excuses and moot apologies, and never any type of refund or discount for the troubles caused by your staff.

I suppose that once you have my cash in hand, I don't matter any longer.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LegalMineField
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton South Franklin, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear LegalMineField,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. Please email us, we will respond. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Franklin, OH.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2012

While staying with my pregnant wife, a staff member entered our room at 11:30 at night. My wife was asleep and I was in the restroom when he took the "Quiet Please" sign off the door and barged in. Apparently then he realized there really were people in the room so he said "Sorry, front desk" and left. He was able to get in because I hadn't been able to get the latch all the way because it had stuck. When I called the desk to find out what went on, the man said he'd talk to me about the situation shortly, then put me on hold. So I got dressed and walked to the front desk to find out why someone barged into our room. He said there wasn't supposed to be anyone in our room and asked if we were supposed to have checked out already. Apparently the employee who checked us in listed our room incorrectly in the computer and when our room was reassigned to other people they were given a key to our room. When they got to our room they saw the "Quiet Please" sign, heard the TV on, and surmised that someone was in the room so they went up and said something to the desk employee. Apparently his deductive reasoning skills weren't as good as theirs, because he saw the sign, heard the TV, and walked right in "to investigate." When I asked why he didn't call to ask, he said he did, but that he called the room we were supposed to be in, not the room we actually were in. And apparently that's what people at this hotel are trained to do. If you suspect someone might be in a room because there's a sign on the door and a TV on, you call the next room down the hall to check. However, the best part was, the solution the employee offered was a free upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi. Apparently that was supposed to do something for me despite the fact that we were only staying for one night and were already in bed. So a free jacuzzi to sleep next to is apparently supposed to make up for the fact that now we don't feel secure staying in a hotel room. In my 30 years, not only have I never had something like this happen to me, I've never heard of it happening to anyone else either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer L
Gary P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton South Franklin, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Franklin would first like to apologize for inconvenience. Thank you for taking the time to post the comment.

I'm concerned about security issue you experienced at our
hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to
bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay
a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service
to all of our guests and Security of our guest is top priority. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We were in town for a wedding and the staff went extremely far beyond what they should have to accomadate us (switching rooms, last minute cancelations, assisting with preperations for rehersal dinner). The breakfast was top notch and the staff was spot on for suggestions on where to eat. Stay here, it's awesome!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Tralang
The hotel would like to thank you for posting your review. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Franklin is pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay in the Franklin and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night on business. Hotel staff were friendly and the rooms were clean! They had a priority club reception (which I hear happens every Tuesday) which included pizza, snacks, soda, and beer! There was plenty for everyone! It's about 15 minutes to Dayton Mall and 10 to this great Indian restaurant called Namaste! A must try if you are in the area!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Chdcarro
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comment regarding your recent stay with us. The hotel was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Priority Club reception that we offer to all our Priority Club Members guests complimentary.
and if you like indian Restuarant there is another good one right cross from Namaste restaurant is Amar india restaurant We look to your future stay with us.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The Holiday Inn Express in Franklin,OH is new, clean, and well managed. We visited the National Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB just outside of Dayton and the Creation Museum just south of Cincinnati and this HIE is perfectly located between the two attractions. I found it to be the most reasonably priced of the HEI options in the Dayton/Cincinnati area.

Room Tip: Hotel is just off the interstate but I did not notice any excessive noise. Try the Mexican restaura...